SASS Wire Forum

Cracker Barrel or Waffle House?

Subdeacon Joe

Waffle house.

I have some significant allergies and the cracker barrel always reeks of potpourri, drives my sinuses crazy

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW if you are going to either for the food there are better choices:P

Cracker Barrel is far and away better as a restaurant. Awful House serves an eatable, mostly breakfast fare and the usual burger/fried lunch menu.

The Barrel actually serves a decent breakfast menu and lunch AND dinner fare that is well balanced and broad. Their deserts are really good too!

Cracker Barrell.

Better food, better service and all of the local Awful Waffles have no guns allowed signs up.  Since they don't want me to carry my legally concealed pistol, I honor their decision by carrying my pistol and, my money, else where

Last time I ate at a Waffle House was November 23, 1990.

I've eaten at Cracker Barrel a number of times.

Being from Ohio, I prefer Bob Evans.

PLUS ONE to Blackwater.

Cracker Barrel is basic fare with some flourishes.  My "go-too" hungry stop when en-route for Mouse Safari.  Have never personally notice'd any annoying pot-pouri??

2 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

When traveling always Cracker Barrel decent food and safe from digestion problems 

Definitely always predictable, good food when traveling.

If you're looking for a good place to eat, look around and find where the police cars and ambulances are parked.

We have a Cracker Barrel and a Waffle House within 3 miles of the home.  If your traveling the interstate through the South and the exit doesn't have a Waffle House, you are seriously in the middle of nowhere. 

26 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Both are wildly over-rated.  I usually look for a small neighborhood place with  full parking lot.

Standard breakfast on the road is biscuits and sausage country gravy, four slices of bacon, OJ, and coffee.

You do have to be careful though. I have been in a few where the coffee was excellent, the food not so much. Found out that the locals only stopped there for the coffee and to shoot the breeze.

57 minutes ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Cracker Barrel.  I like Waffle House but it's more of a greasy breakfast place. The two places are not really comparable.

A couple of weeks ago after attending my eldest grandson's graduation from basic at Ft. Benning we followed him to Ft Gordon.  Stopped at a Waffle House located somewhere between Et'lanta & Agusta.  Definitely a greasy breakfast place with tasty American fare.  The misses was disappointed that the menu didn't include eggs benedict.  The staff were a hoot.  Your stereotypical southern country folk.  Love them.

My wife and I  :wub: 5acb5f5469231_CrackerBarrelLogo.JPG.3c9237a1cf98bdd8a5a43c7ec92bc05f.JPG over  5acb5f6148b7d_WaffleHouseLogo.JPG.e1be48cd88f01805805ca23ea3faabb8.JPG :(.

Cracker Barrel has more of a homey, restaurant feel to it, whereas Waffle House is usually louder, noisier and resembles a fast food restaurant.

Cracker Barrel also has a gift shop and rocking chairs under a long porch so most folks and eat, leave the restaurant and still sit and chat about world events. :blink:

The food also is much better at Cracker Barrel.5acb5f5c20fc8_CrackerBarrelFare.jpg.7d74a1c7048d3a1745064d9bb1e7de99.jpg

as opposed to Waffle House. 5acb5f673270b_WaffleHouseFare.jpg.994d6a03644ec8d89ec277eba002eeab.jpg

This is how a democratic society works, where there are different strokes for different folks.

We're all not going to eat at the same restaurants.

5acb60c8dcb3a_ChuckE.CheeseLogo.jpg.fd0aae10b7b3859b8f971eb706ae6952.jpg I rest my case. :P

We have a Cracker Barrel about 3 miles from the house and we eat there about twice a month.  The Waffle House, about twice a year.  The Waffle House is sort of like the Varsity.  Sometimes you just feel like you need a grease fix.

Neither. I’ve never ate a breakfast at a chain that I liked. Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, Perkins, IHOP, Shari’s, Denny’s.

Its always better to find the local “hole in the wall” breakfast hangout. 

But while trucking down south I found out that Chicken and Waffles was a thing.............which is very sick and wrong. As a Cowboy the  occasionally fried chicken dinner is about as much fowl as I eat. And serving fowl for breakfast versus Pork or Beef? Is Un American!!! Blech!!! 

How do you sop up butter and maple syrup with a drum stick......really?

12 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Cracker Barrel.  I like Waffle House but it's more of a greasy breakfast place. The two places are not really comparable.

+1

12 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

Its always better to find the local “hole in the wall” breakfast hangout. 

and +2

Of course, the best meal is ALWAYS a home cooked one prepared by loving hands :wub: .

Pancakes, hash browns, sausage, over-easy eggs smothered in grits.  5acb80e43f879_Salivating-Emoji-RESIZED.jpg.7f923045617026e95cee39e15dd36fd9.jpg

IMG_20171217_094402.thumb.jpg.71717f899909862ccc5ab51d478e40da.jpg

1 hour ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

But while trucking down south I found out that Chicken and Waffles was a thing

"Down South"?

I thought "Chicken and waffles" was a New York thing.

I've been to two Waffle houses in my whole life..... not impressed, I've been to quite a few Cracker Barrels and while not exactly gourmet you get a decent meal at a decent price, service is always excellent and I like the decor! I've seen shotguns or old rifles hanging on the wall.;)

They both have grits, but Cracker Barrel’s are better.

When I travel, I go until restaurants stop offering grits.  Then I go back one state!

I ain't ever eaten at either place. It appears that I ain't missing out on much, though.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

They both have grits, but Cracker Barrel’s are better.

When I travel, I go until restaurants stop offering grits.  Then I go back one state!

I do the exact opposite. I travel until grits start showing up and then back out one state.

31 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

I ain't ever eaten at either place. It appears that I ain't missing out on much, though.

I do the exact opposite. I travel until grits start showing up and then back out one state.

SO!!  You're moving to Hawaii!!  I've had grits in a Los Angeles restaurant just outside Chino on several occasions! :o :rolleyes: <_< :lol:

I like both for different reasons.

I love Waffle House hash browns. I hate Waffle House noise - Is there a requirement to bang the dishes around for no apparent reason whatsoever?

I love Cracker Barrel food...except for the Cracker Barrel in Tualatin Oregon. It sux all the way around...plus it's in a town full of (BUTT)holes.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

SO!!  You're moving to Hawaii!!  I've had grits in a Los Angeles restaurant just outside Chino on several occasions! :o :rolleyes: <_< :lol:

Don't tempt me there. Anyone know how the cowboy action scene is in Hawaii? Would I have to trade in my chaps and spurs for board shorts and Hawaiian shirts?

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

"Down South"?

I thought "Chicken and waffles" was a New York thing.

I encountered it in the south, I believe Edgefield SC or near by at a Waffle House.

I used to haul commercial radiators from Edgefield back to SF.

http://www.trantechradiators.com/Contact

They both have good food, but I have an emotional attachment to Waffle House. My daughter was maybe five months old, her mom and I were traveling home on Christmas Day because I was low man at work and had to work the next day, and the only place open was the big yellow sign. 

We we were treated kindly by a wonderful staff.  They made fusses over our little girl and she giggled. All in all it was a bright spot in what was otherwise a rough day.

ever since then I’ve made it a point to hit a Waffle House on Christmas Day and leave a huge tip. Good memories for sure.

FEMA uses the "Waffle House Index" for rating disasters. Seriously. Ron Fugate, former head of FEMA developed it when he held a similar post in Florida. He explains:

""They are open most of the time. And that was the index. If a Waffle House is closed because there's a disaster, it's bad. We call it red. If they're open but have a limited menu, that's yellow," he said. "If they're green, we're good, keep going. You haven't found the bad stuff yet."

Fugate is gone, but the index remains at FEMA.

Cracker Barrel is just to greasy for me, Waffle House has changed, or I have. Don’t eat at either. I usually stop in at the local gas station and ask for the place old people go for breakfast. Aside from strange looks and a few bad suggestions the wife and I generally find honey holes. The best places are usually not frachised, just good ole folks with good ole recipes.

Cracker Barrel by far.

They got grits. Nuff said.

Archived