SASS Wire Forum

Short Barreled 1860 Army

NO.

Two options.  Or .. Three.  Option 1.  Buy an 1860 Army and a Hacksaw.  The rest is obvious. :rolleyes:

Option Two.   Buy a Pietta 1860 Snubbie and trade around for an 1860 Grip Set.  :P  

Incidentally, Uberti doesn't  offer a Snubbie. :ph34r: See option one .... Or option three :rolleyes:  

Option Three.  Have a talented Gunplumber build you a Snubbie :)

Hey Al:

I'll see what I have

I favor Navy grips myself.

I may have an Army grip in the parts box.

I'll look.

--Dawg

Option 4.    VTI Gun Parts has a 3" snubbie barrel for $135 you could put on an 1860. That's less than buying a new set of grips, back strap and trigger guard.

Option 5.   Find a used or new on-sale 1860 and use it for parts for the birdshead snubbie.  The new ones are often on sale for $229 and sometimes less.

My recommendation is option 3.  Start with an inexpensive 1860 Army. It's gonna need a fair amount of smithing anyway, so hacking off the barrel doesn't add much.

Have fun! :)

20 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

NO.

Two options.  Or .. Three.  Option 1.  Buy an 1860 Army and a Hacksaw.  The rest is obvious. :rolleyes:

Option Two.   Buy a Pietta 1860 Snubbie and trade around for an 1860 Grip Set.  :P  

Incidentally, Uberti doesn't  offer a Snubbie. :ph34r: See option one .... Or option three :rolleyes:  

Option Three.  Have a talented Gunplumber build you a Snubbie :)

Forget all the options...Go with number two and take barrel off put onto another 1860 Army grip Pietta...Then dump the parts not needed...Faster and easier...

Texas Lizard

If you can do some tuning and fitting yourself. Buy a Pietta 1860 Army and follow the on line instructions on how to tune it and fit the bolt. Order a set of Slix-Shot nipples and from VTI order a 3" barrel assimbly for the 1860 Snubby. 

With a little fitting you could end up with a fun to shoot change barrel setup.

8 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Hey Al:

I'll see what I have

I favor Navy grips myself.

I may have an Army grip in the parts box.

I'll look.

--Dawg

Thanks Dawg!

i want to try to put together a set ultimately, so I’ll need two. Gonna use With conversion cylinders. I read somewhere that there was a way to make the wedge in and out easier?

Hi Al,

Regardless of what you do, 99.9 percent of the time the wedge needs fit.  If you build a Snubbie or buy a Snubbie you fit the wedge so it will run in and out with thumb pressure or just a little light tap.  Then you'll need a cylinder loading stand.  Or a plastic mallet and a Starter.

If your going to use Conversion cylinders, do not start with Brass Frames.

2 minutes ago, Ninety Caliber Al, 50218 said:

I read somewhere that there was a way to make the wedge in and out easier?

Yup. All I had to do was smooth the rough edges and surfaces on mine. Didn't really remove any metal that affected the size. From the factory, they are poorly finished.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hi Al,

Regardless of what you do, 99.9 percent of the time the wedge needs fit.  If you build a Snubbie or buy a Snubbie you fit the wedge so it will run in and out with thumb pressure or just a little light tap.  Then you'll need a cylinder loading stand.  Or a plastic mallet and a Starter.

If your going to use Conversion cylinders, do not start with Brass Frames.

If I use cartridge conversion cylinders, why would I need a loading stand? Starter? Mallet? Forgive my ignorance, do you mean to get the wedge in and out?

No.  :wacko:  I just went Brain Dead for a moment.  I was thinking about loading Percussion Cylinders for a Snubbie.  You using Conversion Cylinders just kind of wandered around in the Ether.  :unsure:  I'm OK now.  Maybe.  I think.

Archived