SASS Wire Forum

Where does your state rank-guns

Red Cent

Interesting.... but I don't see how Tennessee is more in the Red and not the Blue.

We have carry rights, both open and concealed.

We have NO state income tax and that is attractive to a lot of businesses and their employees.

Actually, our state constitution forbids a state income tax.

..........Widder

They CERTAINLY got Tennessee wrong!!!  Beretta just moved here!!  We have some of the most gun-owner supportive legislation in the country and it's mostly improving at a rapid, steady pace!!

I disagree also, Ohio has the most lenient laws there are! CCW (must issue) open carry ( for 100 years) You can buy anything you want no restrictions on mag limits, any caliber. No background checks within the residents of the state. Carry laws are uniform throughout the state!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I disagree also, Ohio has the most lenient laws there are! CCW (must issue) open carry ( for 100 years) . Carry laws are uniform throughout the state!

Sorry, I have to disagree. You have CCW, but must have a permit. In Arizona you don't need a permit.

And in Ohio, when I was a kid, at least, handgun ammo had to be logged when bought. (The latter may have been changed in the last 45 years).:o

57 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Sorry, I have to disagree. You have CCW, but must have a permit. In Arizona you don't need a permit.

And in Ohio, when I was a kid, at least, handgun ammo had to be logged when bought. (The latter may have been changed in the last 45 years).:o

We aren't as lenient as some, but a whole heckuva lot better than many that ranked above us.

No, handgun ammo does not have to be logged.

22 minutes ago, DocWard said:

We aren't as lenient as some, but a whole heckuva lot better than many that ranked above us.

Yep I agree Doc and the only difference in OH and AZ is a CCW permit! We also don't have to do a fed background check if you have a CCW after 2015...

I believe!

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yep I agree Doc and the only difference in OH and AZ is a CCW permit! We also don't have to do a fed background check if you have a CCW after 2015...

I believe!

You still do the 4473, but there is nothing forwarded to NICS.

9 minutes ago, DocWard said:

So they don't have to call it in right? I assume it just stays with the FFL holder.

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So they don't have to call it in right? I assume it just stays with the FFL holder.

Correct. No call or computer search. Fill it out with the info and file it.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Correct. No call or computer search. Fill it out with the info and file it.

That's the same way Georgia does it.  It's really easy to get a CCW in Georgia as well.  Pay a fee and pass a background check.  That's it.  We are a shall issue state.  No classes, tests or shooting required for the CCW.  Permit good for 5 years.

3 hours ago, DocWard said:

I wasn't sure about the ammo. When I was a kid, buying .22s at Buckeyemart or Woolco, they had a log book that they recorded ammo into. 

3 hours ago, DocWard said:

Same here.

32 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I wasn't sure about the ammo. When I was a kid, buying .22s at Buckeyemart or Woolco, they had a log book that they recorded ammo into. 

Same here.

Woolco. There's a blast from the past! I bought lots of models there as a kid

wasn't sure about the ammo. When I was a kid, buying .22s at Buckeyemart or Woolco, they had a log book that they recorded ammo into. 

Sounds like that was a store policy, it was never a state law!

15 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I disagree also, Ohio has the most lenient laws there are! CCW (must issue) open carry ( for 100 years) You can buy anything you want no restrictions on mag limits, any caliber. No background checks within the residents of the state. Carry laws are uniform throughout the state!

Good to know, since I am moving there.

4 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Good to know, since I am moving there.

Cool!!Welcome to the Wild Wild Midwest!! Lots of cowboy shoots here!!;)

Alaska ranks 8th in that article solely because of the low number of gun industry jobs. Most of us are armed here, no permit needed for concealed carry, but how many gun industry jobs can you expect in a state with a population of only 739,795 people? The city of Phoenix has over twice the population of our entire state here!

I find it difficult to believe California is 14th. While I know they aren't the worst, and certainly not as bad as everyone that doesn't live here seems to think they are, I would guess based on the metrics they'd be about smack dab in the middle.

• The number of jobs available in the gun industry in each state, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives 

I can see where we would get a big boost here, simply based on numbers alone.

• Statewide regulations on the gun industry, including legal regulations on the industry and the percentage of federal excise tax each state gets from firearm sales

I would have to believe this alone would drop us down to about 5th from last, give or take.

• Gun culture in each state, including statistics on gun ownership per capita and the percentage of homes with guns

While we have the numbers, we don't have the per capita ownership. Maybe the percentage of homes with guns.

• General labor statistics, including average employee salary and whether states are right-to-work

Again here is where California gets another high ranking with the highest salaries and best labor laws.

People are often shocked to know that here in ultra-liberal Washington the gun laws are still pretty tame. No machine guns, no private sales w/o NICS, and no loaded long guns in vehicles, but otherwise no significant restrictions for the most part. We are also open carry and shall-issue CCW. However every year they try to enact an assault weapons and magazine ban, and they came really close this time which means within the next year or two they may succeed. People are moving here in droves, and unfortunately most are from anti-gun hellholes that became over-populated themselves.

2 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:
  • General labor statistics, including average employee salary and whether states are right-to-work

Again here is where California gets another high ranking with the highest salaries and best labor laws.

I noticed that this was included in the ranking algorithm and I can't for the life of me figure out why..... :huh:

7 minutes ago, Festus G Lonetree said:

I noticed that this was included in the ranking algorithm and I can't for the life of me figure out why..... :huh:

Actually, if you go to the actual study website, they explain it. I got it in the wrong order. Based on the study, I still can't figure out how California ranked so high.

"Gun manufacturers prefer states that are lighter on employee rights, having a larger presence in states that are right-to-work and do not have regulations on breaks.

And even though the companies are vocal about working in states that support their products, gun production workers in states that are not right-to-work averaged $49,062 wage vs. $35,590 in states that are — so then again, maybe it is all about the money after all."

It would appear that the study criteria is weighted so that jobs is really the single deciding factor:

"1. Gun jobs. The primary concern of this study is the amount of jobs in each state. The single strongest factor was a composite of the raw number of gun jobs and per capita gun jobs.."

People who don't live in California often fail to realize that it is still one of the largest markets for firearms in the USA in spite of their asinine laws. Wanna know why Glock continues to make their Gen3 models? Because 40% of their US commercial sales is to California and the Gen3 is the only version still on the approved roster. And in case you think I just pulled that number out of my rear end, I talked to a Glock rep last year when they rolled out the new Gen5 models and that's exactly what he told me. So if it's wrong it came out of his rear end.

Archived