SASS Wire Forum

Could RO 1 and RO 2 Classes Be Offered Online?

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:31 AM, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

I'm sure I'm old fashioned but I would not be a fan of a online course. I believe that it's ok to not always run with pack when It comes to everything. Hats, chaps and spurs and family atmosphere are what separates us from the alphabet shooting games. I don't consider it as being behind the times, just different. Attending a physical course to me shows a certain level of commitment. As a previous poster pointed out....it's not a boy scout badge. Just my thoughts and I'm probably wrong, but it's happened before. 

Totally agree with this, anyone who has to travel farther than their home club to take an RO course needs to have their home club look into getting someone qualified as an RO instructor, and offer the classes people are requesting. In my opinion, everyone needs an RO1 class, and a regular refresher every other year at least. The course is a great face to face way to learn the rules and procedures of our game, which many really need. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

Totally agree with this, anyone who has to travel farther than their home club to take an RO course needs to have their home club look into getting someone qualified as an RO instructor, and offer the classes people are requesting. In my opinion, everyone needs an RO1 class, and a regular refresher every other year at least. The course is a great face to face way to learn the rules and procedures of our game, which many really need. 

Easier said than done.  At our club, we've tried for three years to get an RO1 class set up.  SASS eliminated all but one instructor in our state,  Despite what they advertised, when we contacted the listed instructors, we were told they were informded by SASS they were not allowed to teach.  Do to personal business, the lone instructor was never able to set up a date.  

2 hours ago, Sarge2 said:

Easier said than done.  At our club, we've tried for three years to get an RO1 class set up.  SASS eliminated all but one instructor in our state,  Despite what they advertised, when we contacted the listed instructors, we were told they were informded by SASS they were not allowed to teach.  Do to personal business, the lone instructor was never able to set up a date.  

There is the underlying problem, the instructors you have dealt with have lost interest! I have set up an ROI class within the last 3 weeks for the southern part of New Mexico and it took really took little time. What doesn't work is making a phone call to SASS and then expecting all the leg work to be done by someone else. We too have experienced the loss of instructors in this state which does gum up the process, but the instructor that is going to teach our class was able to provide a few open dates from which I chose one that works for most of us. You have to provide a venue to hold class in and students, which wasn't the hardest thing to do! If your short on instructors in your state, often there are some in nearby bordering states that will teach if contacted. I was fortunate that our instructor is flexible in her schedule of running a business {SASS} to also assist me in holding an RO class! 

PM if you would like some help on what's needed to get a class up and running!

Just now, Captain Clark said:

There is the underlying problem, the instructors you have dealt with have lost interest! I have set up an ROI class within the last 3 weeks for the southern part of New Mexico and it took really took little time. What doesn't work is making a phone call to SASS and then expecting all the leg work to be done by someone else. We too have experienced the loss of instructors in this state which does gum up the process, but the instructor that is going to teach our class was able to provide a few open dates from which I chose one that works for most of us. You have to provide a venue to hold class in and students, which wasn't the hardest thing to do! If your short on instructors in your state, often there are some in nearby bordering states that will teach if contacted. I was fortunate that our instructor is flexible in her schedule of running a business {SASS} to also assist me in holding an RO class! 

The most difficult thing isn't the venue.  Never depended on SASS other than to provide a list of instructors.  This was last year, so things have changed a bit, but SASS Provided names of 5 instrcutors.  One was 500 miles away, 3 were no longer certified by SASS as instructors.  Only one was current. Numerous attempts to set something up with that instructor went unanswered.  FInally this year another club in the area was able to get something set up with a new instructor, although I understand that also was a challenge.  So we are looking forward to those schools. 

In my experience as an RO instructor I've had a couple instances where a club wanted to dictate exactly the time and date of the RO course and if that didn't fit into my schedule then it was not going to happen. I'll give a RO 1 in someones living room if they wanted me to and our schedules worked together. 

15 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

In my experience as an RO instructor I've had a couple instances where a club wanted to dictate exactly the time and date of the RO course and if that didn't fit into my schedule then it was not going to happen. I'll give a RO 1 in someones living room if they wanted me to and our schedules worked together. 

I'm sure you would.  The point though is that one person recognized in a region is a little thin.  That person can't be expected to be responsive to every request.  Quite a bit of discussion on the forum about how to make things better, increase membership, etc.  I think the topic by the OP falls right in line with that discussion.  

As the original poster, my goal is to have a better opportunity  for my wife to complete RO 1.  As a teacher, I agree that the best scenario is to have a qualified instructor present to answer questions and demonstrate proper technique. 

If RO 1 instructional material, with videos, were offered on line,  a final review and test could be offered before or after a monthly match with a qualified instructor.  This would take less time and would insure that the testing was legitimate.  

I would agree that RO 2 certification should include face-to-face range time.  RO 2 would also be a good class for my wife to complete, but I know for a fact that she would never offer to be a timer operator. 

One last thought, we have attended state and big regional shoots, but I don't remember RO 1 or RO 2 classes being offered at these shoots.  Major shoots are multi day affairs.  Do you think there would be any interest for beginning shooters or veteran shooters wanting a refresher to attend at a big shoot?  

There are videos on gun repair, shooting instruction, auto repair, compliance, the list goes on and on and on. Yet, we don't want to have online

vids for RO training. I just took my annual Bloodborne Pathogens, Fire Emergency, Diversity, and HIPAA Compliance training online. Online training works for

major corporations. It could train many more individuals than the current system. Any type of training is designed for those that want to learn the subject matter or just sit through the training and pass the course. I was in the first RO training at WR 2000, no one failed the class.

Archived