SASS Wire Forum

How to stiffen holster

Grayrock, SASS #64093

When I started with those, I used non chlorinated brake cleaner to spray the leather and then took a tennis ball wrapped in plastic and shoved it into the opening.  When the leather dried it was stiff and the mouth open.  YMMV.

58 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

When I started with those, I used non chlorinated brake cleaner to spray the leather and then took a tennis ball wrapped in plastic and shoved it into the opening.  When the leather dried it was stiff and the mouth open.  YMMV.

Longneck beer bottles do well also...

2 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

Longneck beer bottles do well also...

John Henry Quick bottle method works to add the flare to the opening as well as the funneling effect further in the holster!

Added bonus to his method is making the bottles EMPTY......:lol:

Cheers!

Get some Minwax Wood Hardner from a hardware store like Ace Hardware or Home Depot.  It’s a product designed to restore rotting wood but works great to harden leather.  Just make sure that the leather is formed in the shape you want it while the hardner dries.  I put my gun in a plastic bag, put it in the holster and let it stay until the hardner has begun to take it’s set.

Water and sunshine. After conditioning, dying, gluing, and sewing and before I put on the sealer, the holster pocket is soaked soft. The revolver is placed in the holster, holster formed and placed in the sunshine. Or low heat. Or a sunlamp. Or a fan. Or all of the foregoing.  Until totally dry. 

The holster pocket is the only area that should not be "worked"; therefore, other than an occasional wipe, nothing is needed for years.

If water is used, lightly wet down all of the holster so that it will dry without water demarcation.

This holster is very solid/hard.

IMG_0676.JPG

I would not use some of the fixes suggested. If one puts a little alcohol (rubbing or other types) on a piece of natural, vegetable tanned leather the skin will dry brittle. Flex the leather and watch it crack all over. 

Red Cent’s holsters look to be made from premium fine grain leather,  which is quite different from “cheap Mexican” leather.  In my experience the wetting and drying that type of leather will not make it permanently stiff.  But the Minwax Wood Hardner will.

Back when I did mounted shooting a lot of guys started with cheap rigs.  Their go to method for stiffening a floppy holster was to soak it in a mixture of Elmer’s glue and water.  

Archived