SASS Wire Forum

Any good deals out there?

I was reading the Bass Pro Shop blog and remembered ...

A long time ago in a Galaxy far away... I went into one of the larger Shooting/Sporting good shops in Houston that was very famous for their "Once-a-year-sale".

I had just bought a new 10/22 (just came out) and went in with a friend of mine who wanted one too.

They had their Remington .22lr Yellow Jackets on sale for .99 a box.

I picked up 2 bricks and the girl behind the counter charged me $2.14.

My friend decided, "Oh yeah, I need a couple of those too."

Anybody else run across a good deal like that?

Years back, .99 a box of .22 was just about right.

I remember buying a case of .22 Blazer's for about $95.

About 8 years back, General Merchandise was going out of business and they had their ammo sale.   .22 MAGNUM ammo (50 rd box) was 1/2 price, which put it at about $3 per box.

I grabbed up 20 boxes.

When I got to the payout, the girl claimed the 1/2 price was $1.47 per box.   I ask: "How many more you got"?       80 boxes!

I said....... I'll take em all.

AND..... when the Winchester 9422's were going for $170 in all the stores,  I walked into a local sporting goods store and a NEW 9422 was label in the rack at $111.     I BOUGHT IT as soon as I could get the money out of my pocket.   I think it was mislabeled and said so to the attendant.

He assured me that the price was correct.

..........Widder

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Catlow4697 said:

Would you have corrected her if you were charged to much?

Today, yes I would.

35 years ago...not so much.

15 years back (or thereabouts) they opened a new store in town. Sports Authority (I think it was - the company went out of business last year, whoever they were). As part of their GRAND OPENING SALE they had PMC 9mm 115 ball for 4.95. Limit six boxes at the sale price. Any more and you had to pay regular price - 5.95.

Figgered I could not load it for six bucks, so went down after work. Told the guy at the gun counter I wanted that 9mm they had on sale. He asked how many. "All of it." He says, "You realize that you can only get six boxes at the sale price?" Yep. "So how many sir?" All of it.

He goes down under the counter and comes up with eleven or twelve boxes. I say, "That's it? You ain't got any in the back?"

He says, "I'm sure there is. How much do you want?"

ALL OF IT.

My checkout ran about $550 or so. Had close to six cases.

59 minutes ago, Alpo said:

15 years back (or thereabouts) they opened a new store in town. Sports Authority (I think it was - the company went out of business last year, whoever they were).

We had Osman's Sporting goods here in Houston, bought out by Sports Authority, owned by Mitt Romney.

they went out of business here too.

9 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Not the cowboy way to be sure

but one cannot regulate another man's morals

that said don't brag on being a thief.

First of all, I am not a thief and secondly, I wasn't bragging about it.

Yes, 35 years ago, I exploited someone else's ignorance.

And while a young punk does have different morals than that of a older Christian, yes, there is One who can regulate another man's morals.

If this company had still been in business 15 years ago, I would have made an attempt to payback their undercharging me.

I have a clear conscience today.

If my feeble attempt at a little life-levity offended you, I apologize.

If I try saying something like that again, I will try to be more cognizant of my wording

To pass on to my pards while it's available, Palmetto State Armory has CCI Blazer for 19.99 a brick with free shipping if you buy 5 and Federal Auto Match for 14.99. And, yes, I stocked up before I posted it. LOL. Best deal going right now

We used to have a local hardware/lumber store in our little town that sold ammunition. I was paying at the counter one day for some items that I bought and I noticed a little sign on the ammunition showcase that they were not going to sell ammo anymore and everything was on sale. So I asked the clerk if I could talk to the owner and she sent me back to his office. I’d known him for years and we visited a little bit and I asked him about the ammo and why he was not going to sell it anymore and he told me that it wasn’t worth the effort and shelf space anymore for what little amount that they actually sold. The next words out of his mouth were “If you have a hundred bucks it’s all yours”. Well I didn’t have $100.00 with me so I asked him if I could charge it on my store account and he said “Sure”. I had to borrow one of the display wheel barrows to carry it out to my truck. I turned around and sold most of the ammo for a lot more than I bought it for but what I was really happy with was there were two cases of 16 gauge Remington SG ammo that I had to carry out in the second load. I cleaned out the display case and Irwin, the owner kept bringing out more ammo that was squirreled away in other parts of the store and his office. Some of it was quite old and collectible and I took it to a couple of gun shows and sold it. That my friends was a good deal.

A few years before the Coly Python craze, I was at a shoot and a lot of the guys were talking about a 4" python at the LGS with previous owners

name on the side(expected to see he had used a common vibrating engraver).  Stopped on the way home and bought it.  $250  Gun looks great But his name was neatly stamped in small letters.  But I have a Python despite I like S&W better     GW         Still trying to think of a way to hide the name short of sending it in to get it engraved by a pro

6-7 years ago Buds Guns had a bunch of police trade-in S&W Model 10s.  I want to say they were around $180 a piece.  I bought two, wish I had bought a boatload.  That was a good deal in my opinion. 

Last summer I was offered a deal on a very nice Colt Diamondback.  It belonged to a widow of a dear friend of mine.  I told her it was worth a lot more than that and offered to list it on Gunbroker.  She accepted my offer and the gun ended up auctioning for a price that surprised both of us.  Even with shipping and auction fees that gun sold for more than what I could have offered her in good conscience.  Besides, after shooting a number of Colt "snake" guns I do not understand the hype.  The double action pull always feels like something is broken in there, and the cylinder seems to lock up at the last second making the very last bit of trigger pull the heaviest.  The single action trigger is nice though...  To each their own, I'll stick with my older S&Ws when it comes to DA/SA revolvers.

Archived