SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Clays

Renegade Roper

What are some fun/different shotgun  clay target games you have seen?  We want to start up a cowboy clays shoot at our gun club.  We plan on starting out with cowboy skeet and may transition to cowboy 5 stand when they get that up & running in a month or so.  But we would like to do something a little different & fun so what have you seen/tried at different shoots?  

At a club in Virginia, they have a shotgun target that when you hit it, it throws up a clay pigeon. So, the first shot from your shot gun is to hit the steel target. Looks like most popper targets. And, your 2nd shot is to hit the clay pigeon in the air.  Lot's of fun. Not sure where to get this type of target, but I'm sure other shooters will know. If interested, I can ask the head guy at this club and I'm sure he will know.

What games you can play/invent is pretty wide open, mostly dependent on the facility you are using.

Standard trap from the 16 yard line is good, and better if the club can back off the spring on the machine to reduce the speed and distance of the bird for open choke guns.  Variations of Cowboy five stand can be played on the trap field as well, where the initial shooter has to fire on the bird before his pards can back him up.  Even better if you can find a range that has a wobble trap (changes elevation as well as angle with each shot).

Skeet is good because the birds are shot at a maximum of 25 or so yards, and many much closer.  Variations can be things like shooting low gun, and not mounting the gun until you see the bird (with a delayed pull), a sort of cowboy international skeet but without the 65 mph targets.  The limitation at skeet is you really can't spread the shooters out around the field for safety reasons.

Here at EOT we have a five stand match that uses 8 traps in various combinations of singles and doubles.  Requires good communication among squad mates, which is always interesting when half the shooters are practically deaf.

The main cowboy clays match at the 2017 EOT was shot in a Super Sporting format, which is 5 stations with 3 traps each, all set for different presentations.  We threw 2 single targets, 3 report pairs (2nd bird thrown when the 1st is shot at), and 1 true pair (simultaneous birds) for 10 birds each station.  And the shooter can only see the single birds in advance, so the pairs are figured out on the fly.  This is more exciting than repeating the same bird combination over and over as in a standard sporting match.

There is also no reason you can't have some sort of hybrid match with stationary targets and clays as well.  If it's fun and it's safe, your imagination is the limit.

Goatneck Clem has held a few Cowboy Clays matches in Texas recently, he would be glad to give you input if you send him a private message. 

I'll also be happy to answer any questions you might have, or bounce ideas around.

There appear to be a couple sporting clays / trap skeet facilities in your area.  You might want to contact them to see if they would be interested in having you shoot.  Google clay ranges in upstate NY. 

PS: One of the best people for doing shotgun stock work is in the finger lakes area, Mark Deprez.  We send work to him from here in New Mexico.

A good quality wobble trap can be set up so a pair of shooters shoot over it, for a total of 50 birds.  After first bird is thrown, birds follow at about 2 second intervals.  Count total number of hits to the credit of that pair of shooters.  This has been shot for a Wild Bunch shotgun side event at EOT for last three years.   No reason this can't be done with cowboy shotguns, too.  Set a table up to place a box or two of shells on for reloads after the belt runs dry.  Goatneck Clem can give you the details, I'm sure.

Good luck, GJ

We used to play a game  called "wipe your eye". It is shot on the trap field by two shooter teams. Do you can put ten shooters, two on each trap pad. If first shooter misses, the second takes a shot and it is scored as a hit. If the first shooter hits the bird and the second fires it is scored a miss. Works well with cowboy guns as the first shooter should shoot quickly with short barreled open choke guns. Also great for gamers. Watch the 30" full 97's appear. 

24 minutes ago, Black Mike said:

We used to play a game  called "wipe your eye".

Also have heard that called Protection, Annie Oakley, Sharpshooter and a few words not suitable for forum.  

It's real fun!

Also called Elimination if when you earn a miss, you sit down.   If a string of say 4 shooters all miss and 5th person hits the target, those four  with misses sit down.  Don't have to keep score, last man standing wins.   Goes real fast normally until you get two shooters who never miss.

Good luck, GJ

• 1 month later...

I use the pop up targets at my club at most monthly shoots. I have 2 pop ups that use the mini 2.25" birds. First hit launches the bird, 2nd shot at the bird. A hit on the flying bird is a 5 sec. bonus each. A miss on the flying bird does not count, but then must be made up on a stationary standard size clay bird standing right  next to the pop up. 

we used to have use of those at the original club where we started as a young group but the move lost us access , i always enjoyed the popups with the small targets it added another dimension to the shotgun stage , i miss the surprise of the ariels 

We have held a "Cowboy Clays" side match at the Virginia State Championship every year (weather permitting).  Simple rules - Main Match legal shotguns, ammo and clothing for 25 rounds on one of the Club's skeet fields.  While not required, I enjoy the challenge of loading over the top of my '97 for the doubles!  It may not be the best strategy for breaking the most birds, but it sure is fun!

Archived