SASS Wire Forum

WTC shot pistol string

irish ike, SASS #43615

The rest of the stage doesn't matter.

Pistols are the last to be shot. 9 rounds loaded. Shooter is double tap 4 targets with 9th round to be shot on the Rabbit target. Can be shot in either direction. Shooter chooses which pistol to load 5 and which gets shot first. Many of the shooters here will put the first empty pistol on the table top during the shooting string. Holstering at the end of the string.

Shooter pull first pistol, double tap, double tap for 4, places pistol on the table. Pulls the second pistol, double tap, double tap and click when engaging the 9th round on the Bunny. First pistol had 5 rounds, he shot 4. Shooter picks up the pistol and bang shoots the Bunny. 9 rounds shot, targets shot in correct order.

The issue we tried to figure out was, the shooter placed a loaded pistol, hammer was on an empty chamber, on the table giving up control of the gun.

We went from SDQ, to minor safety, to no call!

What say the wire?

Ike

no call, on what grounds would a msv or sdq be based on?  and who loads only 9 pistol rounds

1 minute ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

"P" for shooting out of Category, 2 loaded pistols out of leather, if first occurrence.

Randy

That would be two loaded guns in hand, not out of leather.

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

That would be two loaded guns in hand, not out of leather.

Thanks, I jumped the gun on that one. As long as the first one was touching the table before the second one cleared leather I guess it would be a no call.

Randy

Handbook, Page 14

Safe Conditions During a Course of Fire – Revolvers
Revolvers are considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while holstering, or while moving through a stage) and SAFE to leave the shooter’s hand in the following conditions ONLY:

• - Hammer fully down on an empty chamber.
  • - Hammer fully down on an expended round. A revolver may not be originally staged in this condition, but may be restaged in this condition.
  • - GUNFIGHTER shooting style considerations: When shooting Gunfighter style, a gunfighter may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another sequence. (See Gunfighter Rules).

Pistols were holstered following string?

So I would say no call.

Page 14 of the Shooters Handbook

Safe Conditions During a Course of Fire – Revolvers Revolvers are considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while holstering, or while moving through a stage) and SAFE to leave the shooter’s hand in the following conditions ONLY: - Hammer fully down on an empty chamber. - Hammer fully down on an expended round. A revolver may not be originally staged in this condition, but may be restaged in this condition.

24 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Thanks, I jumped the gun on that one. As long as the first one was touching the table before the second one cleared leather I guess it would be a no call.

Randy

Maybe not exactly...

I see this reiterated a year ago by PWB, but the rule still kind of exists without the exception in the rule book.

The following old wording was removed: The Gunfighter, Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, and B-Western Categories are the only categories that allow two loaded revolvers ―in hand at the same time.

but in the current SHB pg 6 under duelist

o At no time shall the competitor have two loaded revolvers in hand at once.

I had thought that they were going to update that to say something like:

o At no time shall the competitor have two loaded revolvers in hand at once when at least one pistol is cocked.

PWB, Any help?

IMO ... NO CALL under current written rules.

I would tend to consider a "nine round revolver sequence" a potential "P"-trap for anyone who was in the habit of holding the first revolver "in hand" while shooting the second one (e.g. Duelist-style).

In that case it would have been a "P" (first offense) for any non-GF/BW category shooter.

Revolver in hand – when the muzzle of the revolver clears the mouth of the holster, or breaks contact with a prop where it was staged.  

...refers to a revolver as it is actually being held by the shooter.

FWIW - I hadn't planned on answering any "WtC?"s on the first of April; and wouldn't expect the ROC members to be available for additional confirmation on a holiday...

but will see if this needs further review next week.

PWB

Went to a 2 day Annual shoot a few years back  & the 2nd day was all 9 in the pistols..shot them but not something I would like to do again !!!

Maybe the stage should have called for the shooter to STAGE the pistol with 4 rounds in it that way no confusion or at least less confusion!

Kind of a stupid stage if ya ask me but ya didn't so...........:P

Archived