SASS Wire Forum

RV question and usage

Trigger Mike

Sometimes we like to go places for a day trip, being a preacher in particular to church meetings that may be 3 hours away.  Often through back roads and no place to stop.  I am wondering if a small RV that sleeps 4 (even though 6 are in the family) would be a good idea.  As you know ever since my wife had colon cancer the radiation fried all muscles and nerves in that region.  can you use the toilet while it is moving?  Can you use the shower?  Where does the waste water go?  Do you dump it as you drive?  Does it go in a bag for dumping later?  How much water do they generally carry?   is this a practical solution for short trips?  If we did have to stop over night, can 6 still find a place to sleep in a 4 sleeper RV?

I can't tell you how much water it holds. If you got a user's manual with it all the capacities should be listed in there. NO you can't dump the black or grey water tanks (black water tank holds people's body waste) while moving down the roads unless you want a very large fine. In a motor home type of RV you can use just about everything while going down the road.

What's called grey water goes into a separate tank for water from the shower, kitchen sink etc, Wait until you can get to a designated RV dumping station to dump and rinse out both grey and black tanks. The bigger the RV the bigger the fresh and other tanks are...usually. I have a travel trailer. That holds 40 gallons of fresh water. I don't remember the grey and black tank's capacities. There's a light bar that shows different levels in all of the tanks in mine.

You might have some crowded sleepers letting you know what 6 people squeezed into a 4 person sleeping set up think about it..

If you want to use the "facilities" while moving you best choice is a class "C" for what you want. Sleeping room is usually tight. Fuel economy poor. Another full vehicle to insure and maintain. Think about it seriously before committing. You ALWAYS loose money when getting rid of an RV.

Stated sleeping numbers are maximums.  My trailer says the couch sleeps one adult. I tried it so I wouldn't have to make my table into a queen bed. I couldn't stand it, as it was so narrow.

A pop-up tent and sleeping bags may be an option. However, I would be leery of having small children outside after seeing a show on IDHD where a young girl was kidnapped out of the same tent that her parents were sleeping in.

Happy Jack's post reminds me of one reason we sold our RV and I got a tiny trailer. 

Hubby lived in the RV while our house was being built. When the house was enclosed, he moved into it and the rats moved into the RV. They damaged the vehicle badly. We decided it wasn't cost effective to have another vehicle to maintain. As it is, they make nests under our vehicle hoods. So far, no real damage though. Hubby expanded an area in our yard that is large enough for the trailer and the cats can patrol the area.

I think trying to take a shower while moving down the road would be a very treachorous thing to try.  Using the toilet, maybe.  They will both operate going down the road.  There's a lot of very expensive systems in an RV.  I would never consider buying a used Class A or a Class C motorhome without having a full inspection done on it.  

Mike:

The first question you have to ask yourself, is "How many times will I use the Recreational Vehicle?"

The answer will tell you if it is cost justified or not.

Once you have the correct answer, which would be at least 6 times a year or more, you now have to determine what type of vehicle to get.

I'm ruling out tents, as that doesn't provide the answer to many of the questions you posed, such as bathroom breaks.

There are basically two (2) types of RV's. Those with an engine and those that are pulled (travel trailers).

Travel trailers are then divided into two (2) categories, travel trailers and 5th wheels (which require a truck).

The remaining RV's are divided into four (4) categories: Class A, Class B, Class B+ and Class C.

Here are examples of each:

CLASS A:  5ac2409138546_ClassAMotorhome.png.b1a628eea452aa88676379787503171a.png  Commonly called Motor Coaches

CLASS B:  5ac2409796995_ClassBMotorhome.jpg.f0c08bee34053e322d828d2d74c6656a.jpg   Typical smaller van type

CLASS B+:     5ac2409c7f6da_ClassBMotorhome.jpg.5edef3ef94d29c83db30a28909a47fc0.jpg    Cross between a B and C (larger than a B)

CLASS C:       5ac240a25935a_ClassCMotorhome.png.006293cc9849f35f8b65dd999ae751ec.png    Has the extra sleeping area over the cab.

The difference between them is primarily roominess. Obviously the Class A has more room with the Class B having the least amount of room.

The length of the vehicles can vary providing more room and accommodations, such as sleeping quarters, and most (other than Class B) can be found with slide outs.

5ac24249460a9_ClassCMotorhomewithSlideout.jpg.478ff19117c91d68a19e3a13904d186c.jpg

My wife and I purchased our RV used and our primary purpose was to be able to travel with our two cocker spaniels on all day trips, and visiting relatives 7 hours away.

We did not choose a travel trailer so that we both can be together while going down the road, and yes, even use the restroom while going 70MPH on the Interstate. These units have a generator so even in a remote area, lights, water, electricity is readily available.

Because it is just the two of us, we went with the Class B+ as it is more streamline providing better fuel mileage.

As I mentioned in another post, when the Hurricanes came through Florida, and everyone lost power, we lived with Air Conditioning, running water and bathroom capabilities right outside of our house.

Do a lot a research and look for what will suit your individual needs.

Hope this helps.

If you have any other questions or concerns, just let me know.  

20 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Sometimes we like to go places for a day trip, being a preacher in particular to church meetings that may be 3 hours away.  Often through back roads and no place to stop.  I am wondering if a small RV that sleeps 4 (even though 6 are in the family) would be a good idea.  As you know ever since my wife had colon cancer the radiation fried all muscles and nerves in that region.  can you use the toilet while it is moving?  Can you use the shower?  Where does the waste water go?  Do you dump it as you drive?  Does it go in a bag for dumping later?  How much water do they generally carry?   is this a practical solution for short trips?  If we did have to stop over night, can 6 still find a place to sleep in a 4 sleeper RV?

Mike:

See response above. :rolleyes:

I’ve got a 30’ Monaco Knight, diesel pusher that I bought in 2001. The rear queen bed is great for two people the sofa that makes into a bed up front works pretty good for two smaller children, adults that sleep on it always complain and when they want to come along on the next trip they’ll bring along one of those high end air mattresses because they were so uncomfortable the last time. The two captains chairs can be laid flat and kids can sleep on those also. Your wife will probably like those trips much better if she was making them in a small RV, IMHO, of course. Fuel economy on any of them is not that great but you won’t have to pay motel bills and buy restaurant food if you don’t want to so there is that trade off. The second that you drive one of them off of the lot you’ve lost a pile of money if you buy a new one so if you can buy a good used one it’s probably your better choice.

After 30 years of owning a travel trailer and 8 Years. owning a truck camper , I a moving on to a class C unit this month . 

It will sleep 3 pairs .

Jabez Cowboy

1. it costs money to own and maintain a motor home regardless of class; ie., A, B, or C.

2. it costs money to drive it; think 8 mpg...

3. it requires attention to maintain it properly...

4. from your questions; it is apparent that you have done no homework...  ...my recommendation to you is to stay in a hotel or with some member of a church.

OKB is correct.  An RV is going to go in the liability column every time.  It is a recreational expense and the RV will depreciate from the day you get it till the day you get rid of it.  A $500,000 Class A diesel pusher and a $10,000 popup camper will each loose 50% of their value in the first 5 years whether you use them or not.   We have a pretty nice travel trailer and we enjoy taking it to cowboy matches around the Southeast.  Just don't go into it thinking you're going to save any money.

most rvs of the size your talking about have two water tanks[usually 60 gals each]one for fresh water and one for black water[waste water] 

OP-Just how good of a 'wrench' are you?

Motorhome-On top of hav'n a house on wheels, and wheels as a house. You'll have a generator to care and maintain.

Unless you do all this now on your own-I would pass on an MH.

I say this as a one who has owned and maintained my own RV's for the last 45+ yrs.....

Here's a trailer from the SASS classifieds-

OLG

Mike,

I just checked out the trailer Lumpy posted about. It is a great value and not too far from you. I paid $11,000 for my new crappy little 14; Skyline.

Check it out.

Allie

PS My mother had an RV and traveled alone into her late 70s. In fact she even traveled alone from CA to Nova Scotia one year. So, if you are willing to pay to have it serviced it is doable. I still recommend a trailer over an RV.

I have a 22ft class C motorhome. It will sleep 4 adults and 2 kids on the fold down table. Mine has a 50 gallon fresh water tank, 27 gal, grey water, and 27 gal black water tanks.  Using the toilet while running down the road is no problem as long as you have water in the fresh water tank to flush. There are dump stations everywhere. You can also pick up fresh(potable) water at most. I use mine for day trips quite often. If I get somewhere and I'm too tired (or drunk) to drive, I go to bed. I also drive mine daily shuttling my daughter to work. It gets 10mpg i the city on regular. Nothing to write home about, but acceptable. If you buy a 1 or 2 yr old unit you'll save a lot of money. 

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Mike,

I just checked out the trailer Lumpy posted about. It is a great value and not too far from you. I paid $11,000 for my new crappy little 14; Skyline.

Check it out.

Allie

PS My mother had an RV and traveled alone into her late 70s. In fact she even traveled alone from CA to Nova Scotia one year. So, if you are willing to pay to have it serviced it is doable. I still recommend a trailer over an RV.

I second this approach.  First of all, if you need the bathroom, pull over in a safe area, turn on the water pump and there you go.  The trailers have two tank which hold waste water.  One is called the gray tank (sink, shower, etc) and the other the black tank (human waste).  There is a pump on the market that you can use to pump the tanks at home into your sewer clean out.  With a travel trailer you will need a source of power (generator) if you are not connected to power at the church.  Good thing about a trailer is you can leave your "house" at the church and do other things with the tow vehicle.  There are ultra light trailers out there that can be towed by a lot of vehicles but you have to do your homework.  An RV like a Class C or B means you have to take your house with you to the grocery store and so on.  Lots to think about.  PM me and I will explain a lot more.

W.D. Pickett pointed out quite a few pro's and con's with types of RV's. Tent trailers are light, sleep from 2 to 6 depending on size and don't weigh that much to tow and stop. But you'd have to use roadside facilities generally. "Most" tent trailers don't have a bathroom, so there's a drawback with those. The travel trailers have just about everything you need to be comfortable when you get where you're going and you'll have a "run errands" vehicle to boot. Mine is a 23 ft 4 season trailer. It sleeps 4 but it's not light. I have a 2wd 3/4 ton Dodge diesel to tow it with and get ok mileage at freeway speeds; from 12.9 to 16.8 depending on winds and hills. When I get where I'm going and set it up, I have a run around vehicle.

The larger class A and C motor homes usually will be seen dragging a car to go places when you get where you want to be. Making speed runs to the grocery store with a class A or C is a royal pain making runs around town in. The UP side is you'll have access to the needed facilities while on the road if it's not too rough.

I started out with a tent, then went to a older Tent Trailer. After that was a cab over pickup camper then back to a newer pickup and new tent trailer and sold those before I left Minnesota. When I moved back to Montana I bought a pickup and cab over camper. I sold that and went to travel trailers; the one I have now is my 2nd one. In the off season, I store mine in a storage lot for $27 a month and it's fenced in with security cameras and people that live there and watch them. I do carry 2 Honda 2000 generators. They're light and have the power to take care of what I need for electricity, and pretty trouble free too.

Before you buy anything, see if they'll let you take it for a test run on differing terrains. Even a short drive can point out things one just sitting might have.

If your current vehicle is powerful enough for towing a trailer ? . . then getting a trailer is a good option.  The trailer can be dropped and the vehicle used for local transportation.  I had considered RVs . . and found that my sturdy pickup with a fifth wheel trailer to pull behind was best suited to my needs.  It has worked out very well for a number of years.   It is fine for 2 people on the road for a couple of weeks.    If in the future "Calamity Myke" and I decide to spend longer times  ( more then a couple of weeks ) in Mariposa with her kids & grandkids  . . . .then I will go to a bigger trailer. 

Hope this helps.   . . .   :)

this is all very helpful.  I am in the early stages but this has given me a good start.  Unless i go with the smaller motorhome like a B+ or C it won't solve the problem.  When my wife realizes she needs to go, she has seconds to get to a restroom.  no muscles and no nerves in the colon mean no warning and no stopping it.  if i had to take time to stop and activate a trailer it would be too late.  i had to pave more of my drive way because a wash out section 20 yards from the house was bumpy enough to not give her time to get in the house sometimes.  I just hate it that sometimes we seem tied to the home.  she wants to go out despite it but i worry about her when we do.  she also sleeps a lot and the bed would help her be able to do both.  sometimes sleeping reduces problems.

35 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

this is all very helpful.  I am in the early stages but this has given me a good start.  Unless i go with the smaller motorhome like a B+ or C it won't solve the problem.  When my wife realizes she needs to go, she has seconds to get to a restroom.  no muscles and no nerves in the colon mean no warning and no stopping it.  if i had to take time to stop and activate a trailer it would be too late.  i had to pave more of my drive way because a wash out section 20 yards from the house was bumpy enough to not give her time to get in the house sometimes.  I just hate it that sometimes we seem tied to the home.  she wants to go out despite it but i worry about her when we do.  she also sleeps a lot and the bed would help her be able to do both.  sometimes sleeping reduces problems.

If you're thinking more along the lines of a B or C...go with the C. They're bigger to start with and you can get larger square footage option's with class C's than B's.

The main reason I say that is you were talking about sleeping for 6. You'd have to have a few sleep on the roof in a B.

Hi Mike,

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's situation. Since my colon resection, I have had some close calls.

It might be a good idea to wear Depends (or similar) for travel. They may or may not be needed; but they would be a safety net for that problem.

The only delay would be pulling over getting to the trailer. You could activate the pump while she is using the facility.

Regards,

Allie

Allie,

She does wear the depends but they are more geared for the other side so don't hold well.  she carries spares as well.   She wants to go see my mom in a 15 hour trek but i don't see how she would make it that far.  

Tigger Mike,

You might think about a Class C motorhome and tow a trailer with a small car on it or use a dolly (you drive the front wheels up on it and strap them down).  Some of the newer golf cart type vehicles are street legal.  Although you would be limited to the mileage on the battery there are some that are gasoline powered.  That way you have the necessary toilet facilities close by on the road, and a means to move around (grocery store, short errands, so on).  Some places now provide connections for recharging your electric vehicle.

As Allie Mo pointed out, you don't need to run the water pump (which takes its water from the water tank in the camper) to use the toilet.  Just for flushing once you are through.  Plus you have the option of the bed while in motion.  OLG's suggestion is great.  Your state should have numerous state parks with camp sites.  Rent one and go for a weekend.  You can learn a lot more by doing and experience that reading about it.  Walk around and ask other campers what they do and you will have a wealth of information.

A few suggestions from hard experience:

1.  Have a water filter.  A good one not a Wal-Mart special.  The RV water filter store is a good place to start.

2.  Have you vehicle equipped with 50 amp service.  You can use 30 amp with an adaptor.

3.  Use the special white drinking water hoses.  When you are picking up the campsite, screw one end into the other.  Keeps them clean and critters out.

4.  The vehicle dash A/C does not cool the entire RV.  You may have to run the generator.

5.  Carry spare fuses and a few basic tools.

6.  Have a good roadside assistance plan (flats are not fun)

7.  Always use the water filter when connecting to public water systems and filling the water tank on the RV.  We once went to a state park with our R/V buddies and they did not use their water filter.  They came over and asked if we had brown water.  They use the filter all of the time now.

8.  Written checklist of stuff to do before starting out, stopping and setting up and breaking down to leave are a great way to make sure you don't miss something.

9.  Use R/V type toilet paper.  It breaks down quickly and does not clog up the black water tank.

Have a ton of other information I can send you with out takimg up a ton of space here.  PM me and I will send you my email.

Hi Mike,

W.D. has many good tips. It is a good idea to have a service like Good Sam. IIRC they will change flats, etc. My mom used them as she traveled extensively.

I only have AAA. My trailer spare was near to breaking off one trip. I thought it would break off at any time so I called AAA, The fellow who came out couldn't charge AAA; but his price was reasonable and he removed the tire and put it in the trailer for me.

Regards.

Allie

Lots of good information in the preceding posts.  One thing not mentioned is renting an RV.  This is a way to learn whether RVing will work for your family or not without making a major purchase.  While toliets are not intended for use while moving, there are places to pull over and let a family member use the throne.  (However, this  option won't work for your wife.  Wait until your destination before showering.)  Six people will deplete your fresh water supply and fill your waste water tanks quickly when dry camping.  Stay at an RV park with full hookups if possible.  State parks offer good value.  (RV parks may have a shower room and a pool that your family can use.    Sometimes there are playgrounds for children.)  If not, try to stay on private property where you can run an extension cord from an 110 V outlet and hook a garden hose to a facet.  If the property owner will let you discharge gray water you can stay at that location for several days.  (I doubt anyone will let you dump black water.)  There are many locations where you can dump waste water tanks for free or a minimal charge.  Use a search engine with the term "free RV dump stations" and you can locate them.  An RV rated for sleeping four won't be adequate for six.   Put two or three outside in a tent in sleeping bags and do be concerned about their security.

Archived