SASS Wire Forum

At what temperature will you not shoot?

Attica Jack  #23953

I think I discovered the threshold yesterday!  Low to mid 40's drew plenty of shooters, but when the wind picked up and the temperature dropped to near freezing it didn't appear folks were having a whole lot of fun.  Wish Mother Nature didn't have such a sense of humor...  I'm guessing if shooters woke up to the conditions we experienced right before the match started we wouldn't have had a very good turnout!  I'm guessing the excitement of a new season was the drawing card. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AH .. Well .... PLUS ONE to Cheatin Charlie!!

Be most happy to join ya for Biscuits-n-Gravy Charlie.  After Breakfast there is good reason I have a car with a fine heater and HEATED SEATS.

Temperature, either high or low, is not a concern for me. Since my shooting time on weekends is so limited due to my work schedule temperature fails to be a consideration. I will shoot when I can shoot.

This being said I'm not sure I would be a very effective brasser with three foot snow drifts.

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Georgia doesn't get highs high enough, or lows low enough to keep me from shooting.

Yes.  Oh yes it does.  I remember a Mule Camp when I forgot to take a fan, so bought one from a vendor.  The fabric was glued to the frame.  The glue melted in the heat.

Have done rain, snow, sleet, and wind, often in one day.  Cold & rain, I worry about you guys dropping guns.

Personally, I have an 85 degree rule --  no hose, no shooting.  Except Black Gold.  I would go to Black Gold if the apocalypse was predicted.

2 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Would be interesting to read what parameters match directors use to call off a match, i.e. believing too few would show or risk the trip, safety concerns, etc.

It depends. Hazardous conditions, such as an ice storm, severe thunderstorms, etc. call for a cancel. Just cold, just rain, just snow -LETS BURN POWDER! 

Dry weather (desert) I have shot in freezing temps to 110. I do not like shooting in the rain but will do so if the rain hits after the match starts.  

If in a humid area 40 - 80. I hate humidity. Nothing is more uncomfortable when shooting. I would rather be freezing than hot and sticky.

We shot a New Year's day match in 2017.  It was a little over 40, heavy overcast and bitter breeze.  We may have shot 5 stages.  Just enough for one small posse and the stages were written to go fast.  I remember one stage didn't have shotgun targets and one stage didn't have rifle.  All were shot on one physical stage so taking up the targets went fast.  You could wear your coat until you were called to the stage and then endure without it to shoot.  

It was too bitter cold to even think about having a match on New Year's day 2018.   Two monthly matches at Higgensville,  Missouri have been canceled this year.   Weather predictions were for 2" of winter mix and high of 28 today. 

We've never canceled a match because of heat but we have a couple in mid-summer that got so hot and humid, it was dangerous.   

Well, just for the record I have shot with it 45 below,  wasn't cowboy action though, it was in Korea.  I don't choose to do it again!  (As a matter of fact I didn't choose to do it that time.)

Blackfoot:D

I think I've heard it best said by Justice Lily Kate on Facebook....she posted "If it's colder outside than the inside of my refrigerator I'm going to stay home."

Kajun

4 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The attendance isn't very good when it gets over 120 degrees

Ace is correct about 120.

Our shooters begin to drop off in a hurry as we hit the one hundred and ten plus range.

But it gets worse; a couple of our local ranges have individual berms. 

Eldorado and Desert Desperados. 

Within the still air of those three side enclosed bays; I have seen an air temp read at 130+ degrees (totally unscientific and I have no idea the accuracy); but I can tell you it was stinking hot.

And I would still rather shoot in the heat than the cold.

PLUS ONE or TWO to Blackfoot.

Shot in some really hight heat with really high humidity.  Wasn't really asked if I like'd it.  Southeast Asia became a real disappointment for me.  The Arabian desert wasn't much better.  Glutton for punishment.

Typically 30 is the limit for me, but I've shot in single digits before. Not fun when I can't feel my toes!

If it's sunny and little to no wind, 30 is tolerable.

Ideally I'd prefer the 55 to 65 degree range with very low humidity.

Above 80 gets uncomfortable for me, especially with humidity.  But I have shot at about 100 degrees and dry, and 90 plus in both temp and humidity and survived, barely.  Both of those were for out of town annuals, for a home monthly match I may have had second thoughts about going, or staying thru all the days stages.

13 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Have not found it yet. Coldest has been -6 and hottest was 103 with 80% plus humidity. But......the older I get the less brave I am. I say evrry winter that I’m setting a temp threshold but cabin fever always changes my mind. 

That's cuz yer still young!  :D

Less than 30 would probably keep me home. We shot at Zen Shootist Nevada Iowa on Saturday and it was in the upper 30's but the wind was strong with wind chill in the mid 20's. I would do it again wouldn't want to miss going out for lunch afterwards and the Margaritas !!

Haven't found my top end. Over 90 I usually take off the chaps.

I have shot at 10 and up to 105.  The rain will cause me to not shoot or the go home during the shoot.   I also don't like loosing my brass in the mud.  We do have low humidity in the northwest.  Bullett 19707

I shy away from no temperature but hey, this is California. I will stay away when its raining though. That makes it miserable! I like that our local club does two Paniolo shoots in the dog days of August. Shorts and Hawaiian shirts makes it fun. 

14 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

I find that being able to withstand extreme weather conditions is directly connected to age and ailments we have accumulated in life.

Plus 1 here...

I have to consult with Old Art Rytus before many activities.

I would get amused at my Dad.  He worked outside and lived in drafty old houses until he was about 70.  He continued farming and cutting firewood, etc until in his 80s.  But age caught up to him and he staid in the house most of the time after that.  He got less tolerant to heat and cold.  He'd freeze below 65, and was too hot over 80.  But now I'm finding I too struggle to be comfortable in cold and hot weather.  I'm convinced it's my poor blood circulation that's the factor.  I still push myself to go out when it's cold or hot just because I feel it's healthy to put some stress on your system. 

19 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Would be interesting to read what parameters match directors use to call off a match, i.e. believing too few would show or risk the trip, safety concerns, etc.

As a match director, I use these cancellation conditions:

Snow on the ground or road (because entry road is gravelled, steep and easily rutted)

Muddy ground enough to make running or driving a little hazardous

More than a light drizzle forecast -  probably won't call the match but will wait to see how bad it gets

More than 30 MPH wind expected - probably won't call the match but will wait to see how bad it gets because it varies a lot during the day in NM

High for day expected to be 40 or less and not a full sun day

High for day expected to be 110 or more  (hey, this is the desert here) - we'll just stop early if it gets unbearable

Good luck, GJ

I don't get along well with cold, but I've shot at below zero temps several times. We're supposed to be shooting up on the high line outside of Simms this coming weekend, and the forecast looks miserable. Wild Bunch Saturday and CAS Sunday. Cool/cold temps, wind, rain, snow... :mellow:

SimmsForecast.jpg

I have more problem with high temps than cold.  If the forecast is much above 90 deg. F, I will probably pass on a shoot.  Even slightly lower temps, with low humidity, I have to be sure to keep hydrated.  As for cold weather, it depends on whether the club I shoot at holds the match.  I have pretty good cold weather gear, though the circulation in my feet is not as good as it used to be.  If the weather gets down to the point where I spit and hear it clink when it hits the ground, I will probably call it a day.  If it clinks in mid-air, I definitely will go to the car for heat.  If the words from the time-keeper freeze in mid-air so you can see them, forget it! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I don't get along well with cold, but I've shot at below zero temps several times. We're supposed to be shooting up on the high line outside of Simms this coming weekend, and the forecast looks miserable. Wild Bunch Saturday and CAS Sunday. Cool/cold temps, wind, rain, snow... :mellow:

SimmsForecast.jpg

You have to use your own best judgment.  OTOH, try "shooting" precision angles with a Swiss T-3 theodolite  to sight-in a Minuteman I missile when it was cold enough that you could hear a stream of hot liquid crackle in the air before it hit the ground!  :o 'Course, that was fifty years ago, and I had no choice about doing it!  That's where I learned to turn the control knobs on the theodolite with a pair of skin-tight pigskin or calf gloves, and translated that to shooting with them.  They don't really protect against the air temp, but keep the wind from making it worse!  A pair of muskrat mittens hang around my neck by a thong, and the thin gloves go inside between stages.  New Years Day 1969 it was -52 deg. F in Great Falls, and no wind! :rolleyes:

My doctor has this annoying phrase, "As we get older..."
I still reckon I'll shoot at Tusco Saturday.
Only thing is these days, when my hands get cold, they *hurt.*
But it's my first chance to shoot *Senior!*
:D

21 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Aaannd... they just canceled it. :mellow:

The winter that just won't end. :(

Paradise Pass shoots Saturday. Come on out!

Archived