SASS Wire Forum

At what temperature will you not shoot?

Attica Jack  #23953

Here in Michigan, it is still colder than a well diggers belt buckle,  it brings

a question to mind.  At what temperature will you not shoot?  I will not shoot below 35 degrees or will I shoot in the rain.  To me this is a sport and it is suppose to be fun, I don't find it fun when I can't feel my fingers and snot is dripping from my nose.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have not found it yet. Coldest has been -6 and hottest was 103 with 80% plus humidity. But......the older I get the less brave I am. I say evrry winter that I’m setting a temp threshold but cabin fever always changes my mind. 

Around 40 for me. On March 10th, I shot with the Rivanna Rangers in Charlottesville, VA and it was 32 when we started and only got up to 39 when we finished around noon. It was very uncomfortable and not fun. I had my heavy winter coat on and gloves at all times except when I was shooting. After unloading, the coat and gloves when right back on. Fortunately for me, my local club shoots at the NRA indoor range in Fairfax, and we shoot year round. But, I prefer shooting outdoors, so when the weather warms up there a  3 clubs within an hour and a half's drive where I shoot. Bring on the warm weather!

If the weatherman doesn't at least promise the temp is going to get above 50 degrees during the day, I'll be tempted to pass.  I've shot when it's colder but it's not my favorite thing to do.  We shoot year round here in Georgia so the winter gets kinda iffy sometimes.  If there's going to be lots of rain, I'll pass on that too.  I don't like getting my guns soaking wet.  

I've shot at -3 and 104 and 90% humidity at GOA,,,,,, if you gotta shoot, shoot, don't tal,,,,,, well, or sit...  but then that's me

Evidently, my brain hasn't set that limit yet. I'll admit that I've shot in cold enough to regret it after the fact. As I get older, I don't not shoot, I just regret it more often. :rolleyes:

Our club says 32 by 10:00AM or shoot is canceled.

Living where I do in California, it’s never been too hot or too cold to still shoot twice  a month. I won’t shoot in heavy rain, however. Done it a few times and it’s just not worth it. 

On a sunny day with no wind I'll shoot in freezing conditions.  Add wind or cloud cover and I want temperatures 20-30 degrees higher.  I don't shoot during dust storms.  I have shot at Winter Range twice during downpours but will not do so locally.  I'm not in the military and don't have to shoot in miserable conditions.  CAS is supposed to be fun.

I have not really encountered a top end to my temperature range but I typically bottom out in the high forties, higher if there’s wind, lower if there’s bright sun. I’ve got plenty to do at home if the weather isn’t favorable for shooting and if I must shoot on a bad weather day I’ve got an indoor range a mile from my house. Admittedly, I am a fair weather shooter.

I don't shoot with gloves, so pick a temperature when it's cold.  Hot weather? Not an issue.  Have enjoyed shooting BPCR long range 95 degrees  with high humidity

1 hour ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Here in Michigan, it is still colder than a well diggers belt buckle,  it bring a question to mind.  At what temperature will you not shoot?  I will not shoot below 35 degrees or will I shoot in the rain.  To me this is a sport and it is suppose to be fun, I don't find it fun when I can't feel my fingers and snot is dripping from my nose.

Ditto on the drip thingy. 

I got an over active snot locker as it is.  Goin out to a shoot in cold weather means packin more hankies than I own.

I look at it like going to a baseball game. I don't want to wear a parka, and I don't want to wear a rain poncho. Rather deal with sweat and sunscreen than blowing into my hands to warm them.

I reckon I'm still too young and/or dumb.

As long as there's not ice on the stage I'm willing to give it a go.  I've got great insulated underwear, coats and gloves, plus hot-hands hand warmers.

As long as I can keep my hands and feet warm - I'm good.

As far as rain, as long as the venue has covered stages so I'm not standing in the rain, I'm ok.  My gun cart has a raincoat, just like me.  I'm not going to just stand around in the rain for a monthly, especially in cooler weather.

The older I get the less fun I have as the weather gets more extreme ,

Humidity is to be considered more than temperature 

100 degrees in Phoenix is better than 85 degrees in Ohio with high humidity 

With all the clubs in Ohio and Michigan a person can pick and choose when the shoot

thanks CATLOW 

It’s Cowboy  Action Shooting, not Cowboy Action Skating and Sliding.  If the ground is frozen, I’m staying home.

13 minutes ago, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

I won't shoot at less than 30°.  I won't shoot at over 95°

Rolan and I match on our temp settings

Once, early on, got to the 3rd stage when we got hit by the mother of all storms  The cars 20 ft away all looked gray because it was raining so hard.  Had to deal with loading up in that.   Now I can handle a few sprinkles and light rain (we have covered boardwalk from stage to stage where we can 'stage' our guncarts but that's about it for rain

I have lousy circulation through my extremities, so anything less than ~45 degrees, especially with a wind and no sun, and I’ll elect to do something else.   I haven’t tried CAS in hot weather, but my Oklahoma summer range sessions tend to start by 8AM, and I’m packing up and going home well before noon.   I don’t have to be out there to shoot. 

If I can get someone else to shoot, I'll shoot.  It's almost always someone else's suggestion not to shoot.   I was glad once this winter when the wind was hitting 45 MPH and we all decided 3 stages was enough to keep us happy, though.   :o

Good luck, GJ

I do not shoot below 45 (at start time) nor over 95.  Since I've gotten old, my body just does not regulate it's temperature well.  I WILL NOT shoot in the Rain.  That's just plain dumb.

My first  match back in July of 2012 it was about 107. I was nervous, scared, and thrilled all at one time! I did not drink any water at the match. After, as I was leaving the rsnge my hands were cramping so bad I could not hold the wheel. I stopped at a store, drank a big bottle of gator aid and 2 bottles water. Learned my lesson, I now drink a bottle of water every stage. It still gets hot in S Texas, but I haven’t hit the upper limit yet!

cold wise, I shot when it was in the 20s. Doesn’t get much colder than that in my back of the woods. 

I don’t like to shoot in the rain, but if the match is on, I’m shooting! 

I "draw the line" at less than 40 degrees or when it is snowing or raining. I could change the rain thing as, at my home venue, they have one totally covered berm where we can shoot three stages twice each. The only time you would venture out from cover is to get to or from your car.

I will not choose to shoot when it is over 100 degrees.

However, if it is an annual, I will shoot in whatever mother nature brings.  The worst have been as follow. In the snow in the summer and 104 at 1:00 with two stages still to go. Man, it is difficult to get me to work in those conditions. I admire those who keep on keeping on.

im an above 45f guy as my reynolds will stop me flat if its colder [and sometimes when its above as well] i will not shoot in the rain , im not fond of the wind but rather a breeze than still , clears the black from the stage , 

Thank you to all the fair weather shooters! I can make the top 10! Well, unless theres 11 there. But I sure move up the standings!

Would be interesting to read what parameters match directors use to call off a match, i.e. believing too few would show or risk the trip, safety concerns, etc.

Archived