SASS Wire Forum

Which 1897 clone ?

Ninety Caliber Al, 50218

Have heard allot of different opinions about ‘97 clones vs original Winchesters. I’ve pretty well decided on a clone(primarily based on my ownership of an original some years ago. What I need to know is which replica is the one to get. Will be used for Wild Bunch exclusively.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

If it were me, I would contact Outlaw Gambler and see if he can help you out with a either a good used or new one.  PLUS, he may be able to help out with any 'slick'n you might want.

I think you can locate him from his post on the Merchant's Corner wire.

As for the 97 clone's, I prefer an IAC.   And as far as an IAC, I prefer an 04 or later issue.   There are many pards who prefer the 06 issue or later.

Best regards

..........Widder

The WB guys at the WB forum probably can give you some insight on the Chinese guns. If your going to use it exclusively for WB, Mod 12s are legal now as well. A fellow I know has one of the hard chromed Chinese 97s, it does seem smooth. I'm thinking he got it from Outlaw Gambler?

I'm thinking that Widder may chime in with more info as well.

Widder already did while I was typing :)

IAC imports most of the well-built Chinese line now, since the last of the Coyote Cap lots have sold out.

Latest and best in the IAC line:

Series CB .....  (series meaning first two characters of the serial number)

then

Any of the series 06 to 10 (don't think there were year numbers later than 10 - which dates to 2010).

then

The 04 series.

I'd take any of these to fix up and shoot.  I have two of the 06 and one of the CB.

IAC before 04's have some soft steel and poor dimensional tolerances.  I've got an 02 that is junk, and another 02 that is junk in different areas of function.

Norinco marked 97s were before the Bush era ban on some importers from China (ummm, mainly Norinco).  IAC then took over when Norinco could no longer get guns into US.   Some Norincos have held up well, many have not.

The 97s that Cimarron has sold - apparently  some come from the same manufacturer that IAC uses, and some from another.  So you need to make sure you are getting the good guns, not the cheap ones.  Per their web site now, seems they may have quit handling 97s at all now.

Good luck, GJ

1 minute ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

Outlaw Gambler is a good SASS pard and will be honest with you. Have purchased some guns from him as well as had he and his wife shooting with me!

Everyone speaks highly of him

41 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i got a bayonet for that one - just sayin , with real 97s as reasonable as they are why a clone ? 

I guess because I’ve heard so many guys that shoot ‘em in cowboy say “ you need three”. Hate guns that need constant tinkering.

have I heard wrong?

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I only have the one CB97, and have not had any issues.

Have you called and talked to Outlaw Gambler? You really should!

OLG

We’ve been in contact by pm. We’ll talk after Land Run.

Thx Lumpy!

On 3/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, Captain Clark said:

The WB guys at the WB forum probably can give you some insight on the Chinese guns. If your going to use it exclusively for WB, Mod 12s are legal now as well.

This is great advice ........

with real 97s as reasonable as they are why a clone ?

Haven't owned three originals trying to keep one running, huh?   I have, BTDT. 

One of the clones has been more reliable for me than a three pack of 60 to 120 year old 97 originals.

Good luck, GJ

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

i got a bayonet for that one - just sayin , with real 97s as reasonable as they are why a clone ? 

I have an 03 bayonet as part of my milsurp collection. The 97 trench is totally awesome looking when the bayonet is added.

90 CAL,

If you are interested in checking out some 97's, and different techniques in shooting them,  both Red Knee and myself will be at the SW Regional in a couple weeks and you can probably find both of us at the Speed SG side match on Thursday.

He shoots original Winny's and I shoot IAC brands.   

We will be glad to show you a couple things and I will be glad to let you shoot one of mine a couple times during the Speed SG side match.

The only oddity about shooting mine is that I have had my stocks cut shorter to  fit me better.

..........Widder

54 minutes ago, Ninety Caliber Al, 50218 said:

Thx Widder! Red Knee knows me and knows I'm not a '97 guy lol. Gonna use just for wild bunch but I'll definitely look you up while there. I also have a couple of Marlin questions if you wouldn't mind.

Regards,

Al

I understand.   RED KNEE is one of the best I've ever seen with a 97.

I'll be glad to try and help with your Marlin questions.

See you in a couple weeks.

..........Widder

"Better steel in the clone-

The last real Winny 97, was made in 1957"

get that , both mine are over 100 , but the cream puff loads i shoot wont hurt it none and i have not had an issue yet , i admit its not my go-to shotgun .

"I have an 03 bayonet as part of my milsurp collection. The 97 trench is totally awesome looking when the bayonet is added."

the 1905 bayonet for M1903 wont fit , you need the M1917 bayonet [used through VN even made new in those days] for the shotgun , the brittish pattern 1903 bayonet looks just like it but the muzzle ring is different , 

Archived