SASS Wire Forum

Costuming Rules - Defined (please)

Stumpy Joe

I am looking for a little help here. the ones with the question marks are where I need a bit of help. (?)

Thank you in advance for you help.

Costuming Rules:

-

Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below, and all clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

Chaps - Seems self explanatory

Western  spurs  with  spur  straps - Seems self explanatory

Cuffs - ?

Tie  or  scarf  worn  loosely around  the  neck  or  with  scarf  slide - Seems self explanatory

Vest - Seems self explanatory

Pocket  watch  with  full  length chain

Jacket - ?  which type?

Sleeve  garters - Seems self explanatory

Knife  (screw  knives  do  NOT  qualify) - found this one. Seems self explanatory

Botas - ?

Leggings or Braces - ?

Classic Cowboy rules!

Braces are suspenders.

Any jacket like a Mexican Vaquero style. A Gunfighter coat or a frock coat or duster would be OK. Coats have a way of getting in the way when you draw so I never wear one.

I think your other questions were already answered above.

7 minutes ago, Stumpy Joe said:

I think I am going to start with the Classic Cowboy category.

Awesome pard... Started shooting it 3yrs ago, have not looked back!  It is a real hoot!  Anything I can help you with just let me know.

Major Art Tillery

1 minute ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Started shooting it 3yrs ago, have not looked back!  It is a real hoot! 

Major Art Tillery

Just made the switch last August. Now if I could only get my left hand connected to my brain.:D:P

That was easy enough... Here are my thoughts.

Tie or scarf  worn  loosely around  the  neck  or  with  scarf  slide

Vest

(bought and is being adjusted)
Pocket  watch  with  full  length chain

Sleeve  garters

Knife

Braces

(suspenders)

Basically something that has your watch in your pocket on one end and the other end connected to either button hole or pocket on other side. No set length.

8 minutes ago, Stumpy Joe said:

What is a full length chain for the watch? What length is that?

About 14” from what I read, but they will have a tendency to get tangled up in things you don’t want them tangled in if they’re that long. The two I have are around 11” long.

23 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Just made the switch last August. Now if I could only get my left hand connected to my brain.:D:P

Slightly off topic:  When I first started I chose Double Duelist.  I did that even though my left hand was as useless as a politician.  Best advice I was given was to do every day tasks with your weak hand.  The best tasks all seem to revolve around the bathroom, brush your teeth, shave (if you dare), comb your hair (if you have any), use toilet paper, etc.  This tactic really does work.

4 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Slightly off topic:  When I first started I chose Double Duelist.  I did that even though my left hand was as useless as a politician.  Best advice I was given was to do every day tasks with your weak hand.  The best tasks all seem to revolve around the bathroom, brush your teeth, shave (if you dare), comb your hair (if you have any), use toilet paper, etc.  This tactic really does work.

While learning ccw I HAD to learn to shoot left handed (weak arm unsupported). Make yourself learn that weak hand.

Any pocket watch will do.   Almost any chain will do. 

If there's a Mickey Mouse on the face, you may get ribbed a little.

I like mine to run accurately, and not cost me a few hundred a year of jeweler repairs to do so.  So I carry one of my (omg!) quartz and battery powered pocket watches. 

The cheapest one I have cost me $12 at WallyWorld a few months ago.  But it works fine, and I don't have to worry about dropping it and being out a collectible.

Good luck, GJ 

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The cheapest one I have cost me $12 at WallyWorld a few months ago.

Good luck, GJ 

I went high end with mine......$26.....eBay.

15 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Basically something that has your watch in your pocket on one end and the other end connected to either button hole or pocket on other side. No set length.

In other words, not just a simple fob hanging out of your pocket.

22 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Use your computer mouse with your weak hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived