SASS Wire Forum

Electriconic Bore Cleaning

J.C. Bell, SASS #15217

I recently bought a 1922 vintage Winchester M-94 SRC.  I've used a yard of cotton flannel, three new bore brushes and a half-dozen cleaning solvents and the patches still come out looking like they've been dragged through a mud hole.

Anyone have good experience with the Outers electronic bore cleaning system, or any other electronic cleaners?

Caliber is .30 WCF.

Cordially,

J.C. Bell, SASS #15217

Yeah, the Outers system is good.   Getting very hard to find the solvents and other supplies, as they are no longer manufactured, AFAIK.

Most likely you are pulling out rust rather than copper, lead or carbon fouling.  Outers was not as strong at rust removal as at metal fouling stripping.

Kroil is a solvent I turn to for cleaning old guns.   Seems to loosen rust and congealed oil better than most of the bore solvents.    Usually twist some bronze wool around a jag, soak bore for a day or so, then bronze wool the crud out.     Not steel wool, but bronze - from better hardware stores like Ace Tru Value.  Doesn't cut into the barrel steel.

Good luck, GJ

I used the Outer's system many years ago for copper fouling but I don't recall how it did or how it was supposed to do with rust.

I think I would follow Joe's Kroil recommendation. He has tons of experience. He wouldn't steer you wrong.

I quit using the Outer's system as I really saw no benefit in it and it was messy. I was using it at my apartment at the time and I had no garage.

Plug the muzzle with a good stopper and then stand the rifle muzzle down in a bucket. (Note bucket is just in case any leaks out of the barrel.) Fill the barrel all th way to the breach with Kroil and let sit for a couple of days. Then follow G J's cleaning advice.

If you don't have Kroil use a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF.

No matter which you use be sure not to get any on the wood.

I wait on the bore paste until I can at least see some good steel in the bore.  I get afraid of doing all the hard work with something that could be a little abrasive.

JB's is real nice to finish up with.

Good luck, GJ

As others have already said, The Outer's Foul Out system works great on lead and copper.  My one GIGANTIC caution is to not leave the "solvent" in the barrel too long.  "Somebody I know" did that to a 1911 barrel.  Even though the machine was turned off "he" got tied up with other things and didn't get back to it for a day or so.  Inside of the barrel looked like Swiss cheese.  Expensive lesson. :( "He" still uses the system for heavily leaded barrels but makes darn sure to rinse them out the instant the machine is done working its magic.

Ive used the home made version of one (since they no longer sell them) to clean Mosins and enfields, etc...  9 volt battery, rod, plugs, o-rings, alligator clips , ammonia...  Only takes minutes (and dont get any on outside bluing) Google home made and follow instructions.
It WILL clean out rust and everything...but the barrel will need to be "re-seasoned"  ..you'll see all the pitting and "frosting" damage left by the years, and experience poor accuracy until those pits refill again with lead,copper.

4 hours ago, Angry Dan said:

Ive used the home made version of one (since they no longer sell them) to clean Mosins and enfields, etc...  9 volt battery, rod, plugs, o-rings, alligator clips , ammonia...  Only takes minutes (and dont get any on outside bluing) Google home made and follow instructions.
It WILL clean out rust and everything...but the barrel will need to be "re-seasoned"  ..you'll see all the pitting and "frosting" damage left by the years, and experience poor accuracy until those pits refill again with lead,copper.

so ammonia will work in place of the Outers Lead-Out solution?

thanks

cr

7 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

so ammonia will work in place of the Outers Lead-Out solution?

thanks

cr

The instructions I found on the internet, had me use non sudsing ammonia as part of the solution. I cant recall the mix off the top of my head.It worked well.

JC,

Do you have the machine?  I had one years ago and sold it but I believe somewhere I have a jug of cleaning solution I bought with unit.  Not sure if it expires or not.  Don't think I ever used the unit so jug should be still sealed.  You are welcome to it.  I will look if you are interested.  I could carry it to work (Mt Pleasant) which might save you a few miles.  I'm doing 5.5 days a week presently while boss is recovering from surgery.

Marauder's suggestion may be as good as the original solution.

bb

Don't have a machine, but thank you for the offer of solution anyway, Billy.  I'm gonna' order some of that magic Blue Wonder solution if I can navigate through their website.

Sounds like you need some coaching on the retirement phase of your life.  I've got it down pretty solid, so if you want counseling on the "kick back" side of living, give me a call.

3 minutes ago, J.C. Bell, SASS #15217 said:

Don't have a machine, but thank you for the offer of solution anyway, Billy.  I'm gonna' order some of that magic Blue Wonder solution if I can navigate through their website.

Sounds like you need some coaching on the retirement phase of your life.  I've got it down pretty solid, so if you want counseling on the "kick back" side of living, give me a call.

Got to pay for all of Sassy's new guns and stuff for the five (#6 on the way) grand kids...not to mention reloading stuff.  But I still may need some counseling on retirement,:)

On 3/30/2018 at 9:17 PM, J.C. Bell, SASS #15217 said:

Will that stuff really clean to bare metal like they claim?

My experience with them is yes.  When they were new they'd go to gun shows and offer to clean people's guns.  You could bring them a 'clean' gun and in about 5 minutes they'd have an ounce of crud scraped out off it. 

Don't leave this stuff on your gun for too long.  Be sure to get the gun oiled back up afterwards because it strips all of that away.  Much like Shooting Bull's story, I once left this stuff on my gun to soak for a couple of days, and when I came back it had stripped the blueing off and started to rust.  I forget what the instructions say, but after that incident, I don't leave it on the gun for more than 30 minutes. 

I hate to hear you're having trouble ordering, I hope they're still in business.  They were originally called RB-17 way back in the day.  I don't know what happened to RB-17 but one of the inventors started selling blue wonder shortly after RB-17 went away, and the address was about a mile down the road.  I don't use this stuff often, I just finished off my original large bottle of RB-17 sometime last year. 

I can't find Blue Wonder.  Calls left with company voice mail not answered.  Brownells, Midway, Amazon, others show product as back ordered.

So, rifle muzzle is corked, stood vertically with muzzle down and bore filled with Kroil.  It will be convenient for me to leave it his way until Saturday.  Is that too long?

Thanks to all for suggestions and encouragement.

Cordially,

J.C. Bell, SASS #15217

Nothing in Kroil that will hurt the steel.  Wouldn't let it stay on wood, as wood will soak it in and weaken the fibers.

Good luck, GJ

Further to my most recent remarks - found a different number (713-660-16990).  Phone answered by a very nice man who took my order and explained to me the best technique for its use.  He said the product should arrive this week, so I'll report on the results of its use next week.

Cordially,

J.C. Bell, SASS #15217 

Archived