SASS Wire Forum

Does your state's SASS state championship sell out?

Kirk James

Does your state championship sell out?  How many out of state shooters do you normally get?  

The last few years our numbers were quite low, but luckily this year we more than sold out and are discussing increasing the numbers next year and adding a few things

7 minutes ago, StirrupTrouble said:

The last few years our numbers were quite low, but luckily this year we more than sold out and are discussing increasing the numbers next year and adding a few things

So, how many shooters?

15 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

So, how many shooters?

The first year we are hosting it we set the limit at 100, then due to response increased to 125, and finally closed registrations at 141

1 minute ago, StirrupTrouble said:

The first year we are hosting it we set the limit at 100, then due to response increased to 125, and finally closed registrations at 141

Good job!  Nice to see interest climb. 

The Tennessee State Match consistently sells out, often just before the match starts.

It’s hard to claim that it’s sold out though, when they’re willing to take “just another couple of entrants “!!

I have attempted to grow our Nevada State Match for a number of years.  Bouncing up and down from the 140's to the 180's. 

12 bays with 20 on a posse;  My goal has always been to hit 240 shooters.

Assuming we could run waves of shooters like Ben Avery and Winter Range, it would require shooter numbers in the 700's to claim a sell out.

The PA match did for 3 years straight drawing 200-220 shooters.   But when numbers began to drop in SASS our numbers declined.  We are holding around 150 now.

17 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I have attempted to grow our Nevada State Match for a number of years.  Bouncing up and down from the 140's to the 180's. 

12 bays with 20 on a posse;  My goal has always been to hit 240 shooters.

Assuming we could run waves of shooters like Ben Avery and Winter Range, it would require shooter numbers in the 700's to claim a sell out.

You could count some of us twice. ;)

23 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Does your state championship sell out?  How many out of state shooters do you normally get?  

Texas' doesn't see out to advertising and such, it stays true to SASS principles . . .

what?  oh?

sorry went the wrong way on your question :)

High Noon at Tusco 2017

SOLD OUT!!

We have reached our limit of 115 shooters.

Parking is the issue.  They do not have enough room for more vehicles.  However, this not a state match.

2 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Anybody know what it would take to sell out the California match? I never counted, but I know we get a pretty big turnout.

It sold out for a few years when at 5 Dogs Creek with 360.  It had dropped to around 200 when they gave it up a few years back.

No

Web sites have changed and the host club has changed, so I could only find results for the past two years. Eight or ten years ago, the state championship shoot would draw maybe 120 or more, then sometime after '08, when ammo & components became scarce, attendance dropped off.

2016 - 76

2017 - 82

3 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

It sold out for a few years when at 5 Dogs Creek with 360.  It had dropped to around 200 when they gave it up a few years back.

When I went two years ago, I’m pretty sure there were more than 200 people. And a lot of vendors, including mernickle. I couldn’t make it last year, but I’ll be there this year. Hopefully a really good turnout, except in my category of course haha 

When the CA State match was near Bakersfield, I believe it was near its maximum..

Now that it is near Sacramento, it does not.  I do not believe the problem is match organization or scenarios from the Comment Sheets I have recapped.

I do believe that we lost many of the shooters from the far southern end of the state; specifically the Los Angeles and San Diego Shooters.

I do not have the energy now (recuperating from the flu) to look up out of state shooters. However, we get some from WA, OR, and NV.

Regards,

Allie

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

The Tennessee State Match consistently sells out, often just before the match starts.

It’s hard to claim that it’s sold out though, when they’re willing to take “just another couple of entrants “!!

We have a hard time not accepting money but the last couple of years we have. We started selling out a few years ago at 150, now we're up to just around 200.

Randy

Our limitation at Georgia is the lack of good conference/eating type places for the banquet, etc.  The range is great at several locations but are generally not any where near good banquet facilities.  So that has been our limitation for many years.  We've experimented with options but found that a nice place for the banquet and awards makes the most sense to avoid weather and other issues.

So the last few years the limit is about 180 shooters.

Hi Marauder,

We rent a tent. It is a bit pricey. However, from watching HGTV, I think prices for things are much lower in Jawja. ;)

We have ample parking as two extra ranges (berms) are reserved for us when we have the match. We also have two shuttles. One driver is a volunteer and the other is paid.

Our largest expenses are tent, table, chairs, food serve ware and food. Our Food Coordinator has done an excellent job last and this year.

I've been on the Committee since we were awarded the state match. So, if I can help, let me know.

Regards,

Allie

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

No

Web sites have changed and the host club has changed, so I could only find results for the past two years. Eight or ten years ago, the state championship shoot would draw maybe 120 or more, then sometime after '08, when ammo & components became scarce, attendance dropped off.

2016 - 76

2017 - 82

The year after the 120 shooters was when gas jumped close to $1 a gallon more than the year before. We had a LOT of shooters let us know they just couldn't afford the gas to travel that much. The last 4 or 5 years the State shoot has been in the upper 70's to low to mid 80's.

Keep in mind that we have less people in the whole state of Montana than most any of the southern cities have. Other than Montana shooters we get quite a few of our Northern neighbors come from Canada to shoot with us each year along with neighboring states. We have had people traveling around the country shoot with us and all said they enjoyed the State shoots. We appreciate all that will take the travel time and distance to come shoot with us. Montana has electricity AND running water now, come see for yourself. The State shoot is July 13-15th.

I looked up the number of shooters for the last 4 years from both hosts that put on the State shoot:         

2014 had 74,

2015 had 76,

2016 had 85 and last year

2017 had 82.

They seem to stay pretty steady in the mid 70's to mid 80's. For where we are that's not too bad. More would be better, but it beat's a jab in the eye with a sharp stick. The results from before 2014 are not on the Sun River rangers site anymore.

The Az state championship has sold out every year since I first shot it about 2003 or so and did so before that also..  The match application is released in March for a match in mid Oct.  The match has sold out every year within a week after the application is released.6 months before the match  This was true when the match was in Tucson and continues today with the match now in Tombstone. Not sure of the numbers, but over 300.  Match is shot in a morning and afternoon wave, half the shooters in each.  Match always has a good selection of vendors.  The reason for the success is the scenarios, very large targets. and extremely close targets.  It is truley a match of how fast you can manipulate your guns, with aiming not that necessary.  Brain fades (ie shooting faster than brain can keep up) and live rounds being jacked out are common.  

We set the bar higher every year. Wyoming is the lowest populated state and we hold our own when it comes to attendance for Hell On Wheels. Last year 170 shooters, we already have that many signed up for this year.

Set the bar low, and you will sell out. Set the bar high and it becomes challenging.

Archived