SASS Wire Forum

Is this a good deal for a beginner reloader?

Jaan

How-do everyone!  Forgive me, I know there's already a lot of information out there for reloading but that's a big part of the problem, there's too much information.  As a beginner my head is swimming from days of reading articles, I don't think I'll learn much more without getting my hands dirty.

What I want to do is get started reloading .44-40 because it's hard to find locally and a lot of companies won't ship here.  Right now RCBS has a $100 mail in rebate deal if I order before March 31.  With shipping this reloading kit will come out to $256;

Midway USA RCBS Reloader Special 5  Explorer kit

I'm worried that it might be TOO much for a beginner.  I'm mechanically inclined, I'm capable of working a milling machine and lathe and I've rebuilt car engines etc. but I hate that first step.

I know I'll need dies too, what else is nice to have...brass tumbler?

A lot of people have started out with a single stage press like that. It is a very good way to learn as it forces you to learn and understand each step involved. Also, like many of us who havemoved up to automated setups, you will find yourself hanging on to that pld press because there are some things are just easier on one. Good luck!

That is a pretty nice and complete set up to get you started. The press will last longer than you. Listen to Abilene Slim and get those books. Worth their weight in gold for our game. I loaded on a single stage press for more than 40 years till I got into Cowboy and started feeding two shooters. Went progressive on metallic and shotshell.

Jaan,

Go up a level and get this one:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

It has the rebate too but you might want to call about the rebate and see if you get the $100 for the discounted sets.

A Rock Chucker is a good way to go and you will get years and years of use out of it and you can load any pistol and almost every rifle round on it.

They come in real handy even if you ever switch to a progressive press.

I have a Lee single stage but everything else is RCBS. I have the Lee equivalent of the Hornady lock-n-load system by Lee on my set up.

Stay away from the Lee starter kits. The press is great. The other components in the starter kit are not. Go with RCBS or Hornady for better quality powder measures, scales, etc...

Here is something else to consider:

This is a Hornady Lock-n-Load single stage The lock-n-load makes it easy to swap dies once you have them set. This is priced similar to the RCBC equipment but you can't go wrong with any of the 3. This one has the Hornady reloading manual.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/749997/hornady-lock-n-load-classic-single-stage-press-kit

I would also follow Abilene Slim's advice and get the Lyman manuals. More Manuals is better. It gives you a broad base of information and loads one book doesn't have may be in another.

I load for the entire family ( 4 different calibers) on a single stage RCBS Rockcrusher using Rcbs Cowboy dies.

Does it take longer? Heck ya! But you know what, every one goes in, goes bang, and comes out and I don't have to recheck 'em before every match. It's also my "therapy time".

I shoot BP in 44-40 and the single stage is, for me, ideal.

379 bucks Hornady progressive press...500 free bullets rebate.  For just one cartridge you could set it and leave it.

https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-lock-n-load-ap-reloading-press-with-ezject-system.html

Forgot to mention...much easier to prime on this press than a single stage press from my experience.  A lot more leverage to seat it deep and consistent..never had a problem and much prefer to hand punching each one.

I have an RCBS Rockchucker press that I've had for 40 years.  Still use it for some small lots stuff.  Also a great way to learn the principles behind reloading.  At some point if you are taking this sport seriously that your going to shoot more than once a month, you are going to want something faster.

I started with the rock chucker supreme and just added as i went along .And here's something i made for cleaning brass.i use the wet method and 5 lbs of stainless steel pins.I had most of the parts so i put this together,the pillow block berrings you can get on ebay 4 pieces 1/2 inch for 22.00 free shipping.i also added the lil crow gun works worlds finest trimmer to the axle for trimming the cases.

image1 (12).jpeg

image1 (15).jpeg

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package.html

Just bite the bullet and don't look back, you will never be sorry that you did. And then get yourself a food dehydrator to dry your cases in. It's clean with no dust and the cases come out perfect every time.

To answer your question.  That is an acceptable deal.  It is not too complex for a beginner.  The books mentioned are a must.

I just began reloading - like 2 weeks ago.  Here is what I have found out - I bought a NEW Dillon square deal B.  But....I also purchased a used Lee Load Master.  Honestly - I like the Lee Load Master....and it is cheap.  The case feeder - however rudimentary it is - works and works well.  Beats loading each case by hand.  Here is what I do.....and this is just me.  I put in the universal depriming pin only and deprive all of my tumbled brass.  Then I do the hand prime.  Basically because I was getting lazy in watching the primers and ran out twice in the press.  Also, because I wanted to inspect the primers themselves first....when you hand prime it doesn't take long at all and the best part to me is ....if it is not sunk in deep enough, it will not slide out of the shell holder in the hand primer.  Two for one deal to me.  Then load the primed cases in the feeder, shape the cases, fill with powder, seat the bullet, crimp and done.  I loaded right at 350 38 special an hour with the Lee Load Master.  The powder settings with the kit are almost foolproof.  Almost, always weigh them.  Back to the square deal....I have it setup for 45 colt, can load about 200 an hour now, but am not as confident in the powder measure as I am with the Lee.  All in all, it is just advice.  Watch tons of videos and go from there.  I would not go with a single stage even if I started out again.....unless you have lots of time on your hands.  I am mechanically inclined, like to see how things work and went for it.  Take my advice and go with a cheap progressive like the Load Master, Ebay sells them pretty cheap and dies are pretty reasonable as well.  Or, go a different direction.  

Jaan, this is a good reloader (the RCBS "Rock-Chucker that Pat mentioned is a little better).

Although I also have two top of the line progressive presses, I still use my original 40 year old RCBS every week.  It's perfect small batches and it really helps you learn the fundamentals of reloading.  

11 hours ago, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

I load for the entire family ( 4 different calibers) on a single stage RCBS Rockcrusher using Rcbs Cowboy dies.

Does it take longer? Heck ya! But you know what, every one goes in, goes bang, and comes out and I don't have to recheck 'em before every match. It's also my "therapy time".

I shoot BP in 44-40 and the single stage is, for me, ideal.

I am same as Beartrap... Been shooting since 2010 and have loaded thousands of 4-40 rounds on an RCBS Rock Chucker.  Absolutely a great press.  I too use the Cowboy Dies from RCBS, do you need to is debatable, but it works for me.

Major Art Tillery

the one suggestion I'd have here is to note that .44-40 is a bottle-neck ctg.   If you've not yet purchased firearms consider the 44 Special/44 Mag ctg ( or the .45 Colt )instead: they load easily using a carbide die

note too that the majority of SASS shooters prefer the .38 Special / .357 Mag ctg.

Hodgdon has an excellent section online for Cowboy Action reloads.   as ever: read and follow directions !!

I started reloading back in '67 -- using an old green RockChucker.    I used a progressive press during my Cowboy Shooting Heyday but since have switched to a Lee Turret.  Recently I've been running 45ACP on it.

I still use the old green Rock Chucker -- but now I use it to load my 6,5mm Creedmoor.

The point is if you start with a good single stage press you'll (a) create the best possible learning environment, and (b) have the single stage available to set up for a 2d caliber,..... which is kinda likely for many of us :)

You might want to take a look at https://www.midwayusa.com/product/264187/rcbs-turret-press

or at https://www.midwayusa.com/product/520469/rcbs-turret-deluxe-reloading-press-kit.

The wife and I have been using this system for about 6 years.  One of the things we like about the turret press is that once the dies are set up there is no changing things around----just rotate the turret.  If you are going to load for other calibers you just need to get another turret along with dies a shell holder and swap out the turret.  No need to make any other changes.  We are loading .38 spl, .45 Colt, 9mm, .45 acp and .32 short Colt all with the same press.  Just need to change out the turret.

Yes,  you need a method to clean brass.  A dry tumbler works fine.  Don't buy the cheapest models.  They are noisy and the bowls wear out quickly.  If you ever think you might reload rifle rounds I would buy the Rockchucker others recommended.  The extra leverage will be useful.

not to muddy the waters too much:

I learned as a kid on a single stage press as many of us here did

20 years later as an adult (age-wise anyway) got back into reloading.  A new company called Dillon was coming out with a Sq. Deal (notice no "B") for $129.95.  Decided to give it a try and never looked back.

People can learn on a progressive as you can treat them as a single stage by loading using just one station at a time--all that to say . . . 

My recommendation would be to start on single stage and go up from there if you feel the need

one good thing about 44-40, it takes a while to get dirty, if you're shooting smokeless that is...

any of those presses above will do you well,,, get the one you are most comfortable with starting out. 

and welcome to the fire...

I started with a Dillon SDB and have never looked back in 3 decades. The SDB may not do 44-40  however, I'm not sure. Good luck and enjoy. Be safe!

Jaan-- Welcome to the wonderful world of CAS.  You are in for a ton of fun.  I started a little over a year ago and have learned a lot in that time.  All of the advice you've been given here so far is awesome and the reloading manuals are a definite "must have".  Get as many as you can and read them.  No single manual is going to have all the information you need.  Each one lists different powders, bullets, primer, etc., so more is better.  You have probably seen by now that everyone has their preference when it comes to reloading--from press, dies, powders, primers, you name it!  I started with an old Ideal hand loader that belonged to my grandfather and then moved up to the Lee Challenger single stage.  For the most part, I've found that you can keep up with a single shooter's needs with a single stage press without too much trouble and it is a really good way to learn to process and safely execute each step.  I've since purchased a Lee Turret Press and it really increases the productivity level, but you have to make yourself perform the necessary quality control since it's a little less "hands-on" with each round like the single stage is.  I have two suggestions for you: 1) Talk to some other shooters/reloaders in your area and see if they will show you their set-up.  It will only take an hour of your time and you will see some definite like/dislikes for yourself and 2) unless you are absolutely sure that you are only going to reload pistol ammo, buy a press that will accommodate both pistol and rifle cartridges.  Some don't do both and you may find, down the road, that you like reloading so much that you want to expand the experience and you don't want to have to spend more money on a press you could have gotten the first time around--you can use the money you save to buy the die sets for the new calibers!!! If you'd like to talk more, PM me and we can chat--Anything I can do to help (consider it repayment for all the help I got when I started)

PS--Buy a par of safety glasses and wear them whenever you are reloading!!!!  Some guys even use a full face-sheild

A REALLY BIG (HUGE) PLUS ONE to ABILENE SLIM!!!

Listen up Pilgrim ...... BUY THOSE BOOKS in the same order for your press

Getting back to your original question, YES.  That is an excellent outfit to start with.  You'll be using it as long as you are able to drag yourself to a range and shoot.  There is no need to "upgrade" to bigger badder presses not Progressives now.  Get your feet wet, learn reloading to make really good ammo then get fancy if you feel the need (or just want to)

You know,  I reloaded for about 10 years before I ever had any manuals. The internet has so much more info than manuals so if money is an issue, because those manuals aren’t cheap, if you have a PC or smart phone,  and obviously do since you’re here, you can go to powder  manufacturer websites and many other good reliable places to get good info. It ain’t 1980 anymore, manuals are great but there are many many many other places to get that info today.

just my 2 cents :D

BD

It sounds like a good deal. No matter what you kind of press you start with you will at some point want a single stage press anyway.

Depending on how much you shoot you may want a progressive press. Dillon Square Deal B @ $426 including dies, is a good press for all pistol cartridges or a 550 for Rifle and pistol cartridges.

I kept up with a single stage press for a very long time, but at some point your time gets to be a premium and you'll want something faster. I now have a SDB, 550, Mec 9000G, and two Mec Jrs's.

Presses are like guns, you just can't have to many. I also started out with a vibratory case cleaner,. Do your self a favor and get a Wet stainless pin tumbler. Of course I now have both kinds of tumblers.

Jump in and have fun shooting!

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I started with a Dillon SDB and have never looked back in 3 decades. The SDB may not do 44-40  however, I'm not sure. Good luck and enjoy. Be safe!

Jaan,

Solid advice above.  My first and only machine is the Dillon SDB.  It will do 44-40 and most common straight sided pistol calibers -die set # 21036 -  should you need to order.  

I had no formal training and load only load .38 specials.  You can learn the process by simply putting one case through the process at once.  When comfortable you will be amazed at how many you can pump out.  I don't think I have the patience for a single stage for what most of us do.

I used Trail Boss powder primarily because that what I introduced to but in my opinion it has two significant advantages.  Hodgdon has a really good site for figuring out your loads and this powder has so much volume it would be difficult to double charge a round..  It is pricier though.

Not detracting from the wisdom posted, just the direction I ended up taking.  Good luck!

Sheriff Langston

Jaan, as others have said, YES the package you are looking at would be a good start, along with the reloading books that have been recommended.

I started reloading 8 years ago with a Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press, and it is absolutely the best way to learn all the ins and outs of reloading.

Start with what you are looking at, learn all you can, enjoy, have fun and save money.

I have only recently upgraded myself to the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Press, but will still us my Single Stage for 45-70 and 45 Colt BP rounds.

8 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

the one suggestion I'd have here is to note that .44-40 is a bottle-neck ctg.   If you've not yet purchased firearms consider the 44 Special/44 Mag ctg ( or the .45 Colt )instead: they load easily using a carbide die

note too that the majority of SASS shooters prefer the .38 Special / .357 Mag ctg.

I already bought the rifle.  I just had to get it in .44-40  If I was a practical man...I don't think I would be shooting Cowboy Action in the first place (c;

Thank you everyone!  I really appreciate all the information.

42073.jpeg

I always advise new shooters to NOT go with the single stage press. Opt instead for a turret press. The dies are set up once and then stay in place.  You are still doing everything single stage style. But, everything speeds up because  you can make adjustments with an individual or pile of rounds midstream without stopping everything and unscrewing and rescrewing. Just turn turret back or forth to next station and keep going. Mistakes are much easier to fix. Etc...

now you'll need pistols to go with.....

I think Ruger now only makes their Vaquero only on 38/357 or 45LC.   In any event you wouldn't want their 44WCF version although you can probably find them on the used markets.    Remember the 44WCF is .427 bore while the 44Special/44Mag is .429.   If memory serves Ruger made them all the same: .429

a pair of USFA in 44WCF might do the trick -- although I'm not sure the bore on those is .427

This might be helpful

Excerpt

That brings me to another point. These USFA single actions are about the most accurate single action revolvers I’ve ever machine-rest tested. There’s a good reason for that. They not only have good barrels, but their cylinder chamber mouth dimensions also match the barrels. For instance, all my .44-40 USFA sixguns have a .427″ barrel groove diameter, while their cylinders uniformly have .428″ chamber mouths.

I'm working mainly from memory here; my notes may not be as good as they should be.   That said, I've no doubt you'll get some additional info here, shortly.

29 minutes ago, Jaan said:

I already bought the rifle.  I just had to get it in .44-40  If I was a practical man...I don't think I would be shooting Cowboy Action in the first place (c;

Thank you everyone!  I really appreciate all the information.

42073.jpeg

Mighty fine rifle there Cowboy! The addiction has just started, hold on:P

If $30 for a manual is too much money, then another hobby may be in order. There's more to reloading than finding a recipe on the internet. When a pard on this forum turned me on to Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook years ago, a whole new world opened up.

I like having proven and documented info in one place instead of spending hours of disjointed research on the web. One also needs well grounded and reliable info as a basis in order to decide which web info is worthwhile and which is crap. Enough of it is crap that it should give anyone pause.

5 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

now you'll need pistols to go with.....

I think Ruger now only makes their Vaquero only on 38/357 or 45LC.   In any event you wouldn't want their 44WCF version although you can probably find them on the used markets.    Remember the 44WCF is .427 bore while the 44Special/44Mag is .429.   If memory serves Ruger made them all the same: .429

a pair of USFA in 44WCF might do the trick -- although I'm not sure the bore on those is .427

I have the pistols already as well.  I have an original Vaquero and a New Vaquero.  Both in .45 Colt.  At least .45 Colt is easy for me to find.  It's a little odd having 2 different sized pistols but not overly so.  I compensated by having 2 completely different holsters and belts crossing.  If you're going to be different go for broke.

Sadly, I live behind enemy lines in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.  We're obviously all pro-gun here so I'm not trying to start a debate, but for a pistol to be sold here new the past 20 years it has to pass safety tests and the manufacturer has to submit them.  I actually wanted a pair of Uberti's but nope.  I can't even get a Vaquero with a birds head grip or engraved etc.  Any small change and they have to be resubmitted for testing.  I give kudos for Ruger to be one of the companies supporting gun owners in Massachusetts.

Archived