SASS Wire Forum

Previously Pinned Team SASS Post

All,

This is a combination of most of the previously pinned post.  This was done in a effort to allow everyone quicker access to the topics we are discussing as the list was getting a bit long.  You will find all the information is still there minus the replies.  The originals have been unpinned and archived.  I will warn you that this is extensive and will be locked as it is for informational purposes only.  If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Charlie

Rebuttal to gun-grabber talking points regarding the 2nd Amendment

I did some research to provide everyone with some rebuttal talking points when dealing with those who think the 2nd Amendment is out dated or should be removed.  This might help some of you when discussing our 2nd Amendment Rights with Anti-Gunners.  There has been a lot of talking points that the opposition have used in an attempt to rationalize passing more legislation that would further restrict our 2nd Amendment rights. The following are some of those talking points followed by quotes from Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia on his ruling opinion of D.C. v. Heller that reaffirmed our God given-Constitutionally enforced right to bear arms for protection of ourselves and our loved ones. Please take the time to read it and share with others.  It is a bit of a read but well worth it.   Just remember 2 things when discussing with these individuals; 1) Always be nice to them no matter what they say to you.  2) Always leave them with a way out e.g. allow them the opportunity to do some research on their own.

~ Charlie 

1. The 2nd Amendment only applied to militias. 

“Petitioners point to militia laws of the founding period that required militia members to ‘keep’ arms in connection with militia service, and they conclude from this that the phrase ‘keep arms’ has a militia-related connotation. This is rather like saying that, since there are many statutes that authorize aggrieved employees to ‘file complaints’ with federal agencies, the phrase ‘file complaints’ has an employment-related connotation. ‘Keep arms’ was simply a common way of referring to possessing arms, for militiamen AND EVERYONE ELSE.”

-Supreme Court Justice Scalia

“The Second Amendment protects an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.”

“In numerous instances, ‘bear arms’ was unambiguously used to refer to the carrying of weapons outside of an organized militia. The most prominent examples are those relevant to the Second Amendment: Nine state constitutional provisions written in the 18th century or the first two decades of the 19th, which enshrined a right of citizens to ‘bear arms in defense of themselves and the state’ or ‘bear arms in defense of himself and the state’. It is clear from those formulations that ‘bear arms’ DID NOT REFER ONLY to carrying a weapon in an organized military unit.”

“There seems to us NO DOUBT, on the basis of both text and history, that the Second Amendment conferred an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT to keep and bear arms.”

2. The 2nd Amendment only applied to muskets. 

“It is no answer to say, as petitioners do, that it is permissible to ban the possession of handguns so long as the possession of other firearms (i.e., long guns) is allowed. It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon. There are many reasons that a citizen may prefer a handgun for home defense. It is easier to store in a location that is readily accessible in an emergency; it cannot easily be redirected or wrestled away by an attacker; it is easier to use for those without upper-body strength to lift and aim a long gun; it can be pointed at a burglar with one hand while the other hand dials the police. Whatever the reason, handguns are the most popular weapon chosen by Americans for self-defense in the home, and a complete prohibition of their use is invalid.”

“Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. WE DO NOT interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, the Second Amendment extends, prima facie (latin for “on its face), to ALL INSTRUMENTS that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.”

3. The 2nd Amendment should be reworded; it’s not applicable to current times. 

“Putting all these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation. This meaning is strongly confirmed by the historical background of the Second Amendment. We look to this because it has ALWAYS BEEN WIDELY UNDERSTOOD that the Second Amendment, like the First and Fourth Amendments, codified A PRE-EXISITING RIGHT. The very text of the Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it ‘shall not be infringed’. As we said in United States v Cruikshank, this is not a right granted by the Constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second Amendment declares that it SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.”

“Undoubtedly some think that the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is NOT DEBATABLE is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct.”

4. "Well regulated” means our government can restrict you from owning guns. 

“The adjective ‘well-regulated’ implies nothing more than the imposition of proper discipline and training.”

5. The government doesn’t want your guns. Besides the 2nd Amendment wasn’t written for protection against tyranny. You’re just paranoid. 

“There are many reasons why the militia was thought to be ‘necessary to the security of a free state’. First, of course, it is useful in repelling invasions and suppressing insurrections. Second, it renders large standing armies unnecessary—an argument that Alexander Hamilton made in favor of federal control over the militia. Third, when the able-bodied men of a nation are trained in arms and organized, they are better able to resist tyranny.”

“History showed that the way tyrants had eliminated a militia of all the able-bodied men was not by banning the militia but simply by taking away the people’s arms, enabling a select militia or standing army to suppress political opponents. This is what had occurred in England that prompted codification of the right to have arms in the English Bill of Rights.”

Finally there is a beautifully written ruling opinion from the Georgia Supreme Court case of Nunn v. Georgia (1846) that spells it out for all those that need extra instruction:

“The right of the whole people, old and young, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, and not such merely as are used by the militia , shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree; and all this for the important end to be attained: the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia, so vitally necessary to the security of a free State. Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right, originally belonging to our forefathers, trampled under foot by Charles I. and his two wicked sons and successors, re-established by the revolution of 1688, conveyed to this land of liberty by the colonists, and finally incorporated conspicuously in our own Magna Charta!”

How Important Is One (1) Person's Voice ???

In case you are not sure how it all works, I have done some research for you.  I heard that it takes a minimum of 50,000 people contacting our legislatures to have an effect of their decisions.   When contacting them I have been asking; "Just how many people do you need to hear from on any particular topic before that topic becomes a priority to you?"  The answer I received from both sides of the isle will shock you, as it did me.  According to each of them the answer was a minimum of 50, that's right 50!  Here is the break down of how they came up with that number.

According to our legislatures (Congress & Senate) 1 call, letter or email is equal to 1,000 people.  They consider it a representative number just like the poles they put out.  So to this line of thinking 1 person contacting them about a topic is representative of the views of 1,000 people, 50 people contacting them about a topic is representative of the views of 50,000 people, 100 people contacting them about a topic is representative of the views of 100,000 people, 1,000 people contacting them about a topic is representative of the views of 1,000,000 people; get the idea yet?

Everyone keeps saying that the few are heard more than the many, well now you know why.  The few are making more contacts to their legislatures than the many, they are more energized.  Hopefully now everyone understands the importance of contacting their federal legislatures.  Does this mean that they will all follow our desires?; no and that's why we vote for or against them. 

If you want to keep our Constitution, Bill of Rights and especially our Second Amendment in tact, you have to do more than sit back and hope it will all work out or think that someone else will fight for it.  Each one of us can make a difference.  If you do not want to ask others to make the contacts to your respective legislators at least make the contacts yourself.  Yes there is strength in numbers and that is what we strive for by organizing as well as bring this issues to the attention of other SASS members but, understand one person can make a difference.  Your contact could be that 50th contact that they consider as representative of the views of 50,000 people making it priority view of their constituents.

So how important is one person's voice?  Extremely Important!!

Charlie      

Team SASS Forum (TSF) Concept & Rules of the Road

Team SASS:

I’ve been reviewing the posts on our new Team SASS Forum (TSF) and am extremely encouraged and exceedingly appreciative of your enthusiastic involvement and the cowboy courtesy you’ve shown in adhering to the intended purpose of our TSF. I sincerely salute and thank you all very much.

Below is my take on some foundational rules and concepts for using this valuable resource. I’m sure together, we’ll come up with even more ideas as to the best use of our forum, but this will serve as our starting point.

1) The Team SASS Mission: Contribute, combine and coordinate our resources, significant numbers and dedicated efforts in a resolute fight to retain the ability to exercise our Second Amendment rights uninfringed.

To accomplish this, we must be working as a closely knit team to successfully engage in this struggle. The TSF is OUR medium for informing and coordinating OUR combined efforts to push back with a high degree of resolve.

2) The TSF will be informational in nature and operation. It must be used solely for posting information and pertinent responses related to this Second Amendment battle. Only posts centered on Actions, Issues, Information and Events directly related to our coordinated effort in preserving our freedom to keep and bear arms will be posted on the forum. Any political posts whose subject or narrative is other than that related to our Second Amendment initiative will have to be locked or deleted. I’ll assume the role of judge in these cases.

3) Why such an approach? If the TS is to be successful for the long term, it cannot, must not and will not be a rebirth of the disruptive and divisive Political Fire. For those unfamiliar with the Political Fire of old, that forum quickly deteriorated into a detrimental source of very contentious arguments and hard feelings spanning topics totally unrelated to firearms and accomplished NOTHING. Given the importance of OUR Team SASS mission, we don’t need a repeat of such internal contention at this time in America’s history. We must be focused and remain Team SASS in reality as well as in name. Heated arguments, regardless of the topic, must be avoided. We are a strongly unified team with a common interest, dedicated to and focused resolutely on our common objective.

Will there be disagreements? Yes, I’m not unrealistic where human nature is concerned. However, I ask that you keep our ultimate objective squarely in mind and always focus on the big picture. If disagreements cross the line into contention, I’ll be forced to lock or delete the post or thread.

4) A Combined, Cooperative and Coordinated Approach: We must cooperate in covering all levels of government. SASS will focus on the national level, posting information on its pro-active efforts in coordinating with other national gun organizations, manufacturers and major businesses. SASS will inform primarily on events and initiatives at that level as well as pending or proposed federal legislation. Also posted here will be informational links to other relevant organizations as well as Calls for Action that will request your active involvement in some way to support our offensive against those that would infringe on Americans’ gun rights.

Naturally, SASS cannot monitor all states and localities like those who live there. Everyone very much needs your help. SASS members can and should contribute in a valuable and major way by informing others on state and local Actions, Issues, Information and Events within their area. Additionally, if SASS misses something at the federal level that you know of, please fill us in on the details of that issue. Bottom line: You are the crucially important front line scouts for Team SASS and you number in the tens of thousands. We need you to be actively engaged.

We should all take encouragement in the words of Patrick Henry when he urged on those of his generation who were under even more ominous circumstances:

“They tell us…that we are weak – unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be when we are totally disarmed…Three million people, armed in the holy cause of liberty…are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us.”

Nobody can promise easy or quick solutions to this struggle or that everyone will agree on everything we do or say but I will promise you this; we are dedicated to and resolute in our commitment and will never sound the retreat.

We very much admire and thank you for your dedication and cooperation in tackling this mission and for respecting our rules of the road.

5) In summary: The Team SASS Forum will:

* Be focused on and limited to Actions, Issues, Information
and Events at the federal, state and local levels necessary to the successful
conduct of the Team SASS mission.

* Be an effective force in fighting to preserve, protect and
defend our constitutionally guaranteed unalienable right to life and liberty
through our staunch support of the Second Amendment.

* Not be a forum for issues other than the Team SASS mission nor
be a hotbed of contentious political arguments.

We are in need of more Team SASS State Directors

The role of the Team SASS State Director is to lead the effort within their state, contact and stay in touch with representatives of as many clubs as possible and enlist those who have the enthusiasm and dedication to provide motivation and coordination to local clubs or their representatives to actively contact local politicians and push our single agenda of supporting the Second Amendment. They would be the official SASS representative between their state and Team SASS HQs.

If you or someone you know is serious about fighting for America's freedom to keep and bear arms and who may be interested in being a Team SASS State Director, please reply to this posting with your alias, SASS# and email address. If you prefer not to place that information on our open forum, please email me at: charlietwaite@gmail.com.  Currently have directors in Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin.  We need your help in filling positions in the remaining states.  It will not take up all of your time.  You will find that the other TSSDs and I will be supportive of your efforts and will provide you guidance if you ask.

I appreciate your consideration and look forward to hearing from many of you.

New Director of Team SASS: Charlie T Waite, SASS# 79885

The time has come to hand over the leadership of Team SASS to the next generation. Therefore effective 15 August 2017, Charlie T Waite, SASS# 79885 assumes the leadership of Team SASS.

It's been said that the fight of freedom is not a sprint but rather a marathon. I accept that analogy but with somewhat of a twist. I personally see it as more akin to a perpetual relay race. The baton must continually pass to a set of fresh legs periodically in order to prevail and eventually win in the long run. One leader can't run the race in perpetuity.

I've always been a staunch believer in and advocate of regular changes at the top in positions like this as it brings with it new enthusiasm and new ideas. Blame it on my military mindset but it works very well.

Charlie has an impressive record of public activism, political involvement, various leadership roles and best of all, the enthusiasm and desire to step up and help carry on this perpetual fight for freedom.

He has valuable contacts within the NRA's Eddie Eagle program and he will also be working closely with Allegiance, our Team SASS Deputy Director who currently holds a high level position in the NRA Operations division. Charlie worked his way up from E1 to O3 while in the military, in law enforcement he was continually promoted from patrolman to Deputy Chief of Police and is now the police commissioner of his home town. He currently serves as the President of his local Committee for Veterans Outreach and has been on the city council for the last 6 years.

I see Charlie as a well prepared, well positioned and enthusiastic leader for Team SASS. He will have my unqualified support as he takes the reins of this great group. I ask that you give him the same.

I've always felt very honored that the Wild Bunch entrusted me to get this effort off the ground, organized for action and running. Most importantly, I will be eternally grateful to those of you in SASS and the Team SASS State Directors for the constant and loyal support you've shown me and this important effort over the years.

I'm very optimistic for the future and have the utmost faith in our entire SASS family, Team SASS and its new leader.

Thank you all.

Colonel Dan

Team SASS is a Decentralized Organizational Effort

Team SASS is a Decentralized Organizational Effort

We have structured Team SASS to be intentionally decentralized. Why? I firmly believe in two driving factors:

(1) The people of the several states know their situation and gun climate best…unlike Washington DC who thinks they know what’s best for everyone. Gun owners within the individual states know where to apply the heat and overall effort in order to achieve the most promising and effective outcome.

(2) Our greatest chances for executing a successful fight to preserve, protect and defend for all America is at the state level.

By focusing on the state level, we will have greater influence on impacting our “close in targets” i.e. our liberty focused lives within our immediate environment so to speak. Additionally, it’s by increased influence within our home states that we can better direct the pressure the states can and will place on the federal. In other words, we must use the vast power of a combined and coordinated force that can

only come from a majority of the states pushing the federal in the right direction.

This state level focus should not be interpreted as SASS ignoring the national level…ergo our partnership effort with major national organizations i.e. the NRA, GOA, SAF, NSSF. We add the weight of our considerable membership numbers and financial support via the Team SASS Patriot Badge sales, SASS Second Amendment Support Matches and our SASS Calls for Action to these organizations to fight the good fight in Washington D.C.

All strategies come with a set of requirements if they're to be successful. What are the requirements of our decentralized strategy? The potential and probable success of this effort at this state level is highly dependent on YOU…the individual members of Team SASS. Your active involvement and willingness to do your part in both Phase I and II of the Team SASS National Strategy within your state is key and directly proportional to the level of success we can expect in the larger picture.

Team SASS National Strategy

(1) Work as a supportive teammate of the NRA, GOA, SAF and NSSF. We must work in close relationship with the NRA, GOA, SAF and NSSF representatives (local, state and national) in order to ensure a unified front and send a stronger message that we could by going it alone on a separate and uncoordinated path. The NRA for example has a unique and dedicated representative for each of the 50 states. They keep their finger on the pulse of the state's individual issues and can be a great point of contact for the Team SASS State Directors (TSSD).

(2) Work to ensure active support of Second Amendment by political leaders at all levels. We will make our demands for strict adherence to the Second Amendment clear to all our political leaders—local, state and national. When contacting these leaders under the Team SASS flag, we must to do so politely and professionally yet unmistakably viewed as uncompromising single issue voters. If we don't, then we are apt to lose the focus and the fight as our gun issues will very likely be compromised away via the political deal making process

(3) Team SASS's main focus of activity will be uniquely tailored to and implemented at the State and Local level. Team SASS State Directors (TSSDs) will take the lead in identifying the issues particular to their states and lead the effort to apply the detailed tactics in support of the national strategy. They should stay in contact with the respective SASS clubs in their area as well as their NRA state representatives to insure information is passed along both up and down the chain and that issues are addressed which are tailored to their local and state areas.

(4) Team SASS will apply heat as well as encouragement using all available formats. Team SASS must be dedicated to applying and keeping the heat on those who can, will and do violate the Second Amendment as well as encouraging those who support our unalienable right to keep and bear arms. That right must not be diluted or eroded away within the framework of any deviously constructed political incrementalism. We will make use of telephones, letters, emails, text messages, rallies and face to face meetings in order to send those appropriate messages in a professional, polite but uncompromising way.

Team SASS at the National HQs level can and does provide the outline and overall national strategy but we can’t make it happen at the state level for you and without you. We can't and won't dictate the detailed tactics necessary to implement the national strategy since anything we could provide could and will never be applicable to all 50 states. Any detailed plan we would develop for California or New York would not apply at all to Texas or Florida for example. Their issues and challenges are very very different. Were we to even try to do that, our overall effort and those of the states would suffer greatly and be very counterproductive. In other words, we will not micro manage at the state level as the Federal government does now.

Don’t hang back, I highly encourage you to jump in this fight…if not for yourself, for your posterity and the freedom they will either enjoy or lose tomorrow because of what our generation does today.

Go forth and do great things for the cause of future liberty as our forefathers did for us.

Information Must Lead to Action

Information as is and will be posted on our Team SASS Bulletin Board, is essential in our effort to preserve protect and defend our gun rights—granted. However, information without action is about as effective as a glass hammer. Nice and interesting to look at and appreciate but does not get the hard jobs done on the front lines.

The purpose of posting information on our Bulletin Board is to arm folks to engage the right target—the definition of action at this
point being to apply consistent and focused heat to politicians in great numbers and at every level. If they appear to
disregard our heat, it then becomes imperative that we increase the heat in coordination with other like minded organizations.

Getting with those organizations at the national level is my focus in representing SASS. Influencing organizations at the state and local level must be your focus. Together if our numbers increase in a combined and cooperative way, we’ll win this battle…of that I have no doubt. However, it takes each element turning the information on this Bulletin Board into tangible action at the appropriate level. My challenge to you is to take action in applying the heat and helping your state and local pro-gun organizations to effectively engage in a cooperative way.

Don’t get discouraged by the apparent disregard for your email, letters or phone calls--they're showing their arrogance and it will be that arrogance which brings on their eventual defeat.

We all knew this would be a long term endeavor so stay the course, never sound the retreat and never give up.

I salute your on-going resolution

Soldier on…

NRA State Representatives: A Comprehensive List

As you already know, one of the fundamental pillars of the TEAM SASS National Strategy is for Team SASS State Directors (TSSDs) to contact and establish a solid relationship with their state's NRA field rep. TSSDs are encouraged to work closely with them in staying informed and as a source of ideas for action that is particular to that state and will be most effective in addressing the challenges unique to that state.

Below is a link to the NRA site listing all those NRA reps. Please make good use of it and the insight they have within your state.

http://fieldreps.nra.org/

"Allegiance" Named Team SASS Deputy Director

Recently, I've been thinking about two objectives for Team SASS. First, I wanted to explore a way to increase/enhance SASS influence, effectiveness, credibility and visibility at the national level...particularly with the NRA...the 900 lb guerrilla of the gun rights world.

Secondly, I was looking for a way to ensure continuity within the Team SASS “chain of command” by designating a #2 that could step up and lead in the event something should happen to me. Given my military upbringing, the requirement for having an effective #2 came naturally. We always had a designated chain of command that could take over when and if the need arose—it just makes prudent sense.

Initially, I didn't mentally link the two objectives....that is until I thought about Joe DeBergalis, aka Allegiance. Joe is our Team SASS State Director for New York who has been very active in all Team SASS activities. He is also on the NRA Board of Directors. Additionally, he holds positions of very real influence in that organization. He is well known, well respected and totally dedicated to the Constitution, gun rights, the NRA and SASS.

Well I had an epiphany so to speak...Joe was the answer to both objectives! I called him and laid out my proposal to make him the “Deputy Director” of Team SASS and told him why we needed/wanted to do this. I told him that nobody currently involved in Team SASS activities was better suited to the mission than he. Fortunately, he enthusiastically agreed to assume the role.

I thanked him and concluded by telling him that I would run my plan by the Wild Bunch to get their buy in and we would go from there. Not surprisingly, The Wild Bunch was “wild” about the plan answering with these words; EXCELLENT idea!!, a wonderful opportunity. Go for it! Absolutely!! Great idea, BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Bottom Line, I believe this move to be a master stroke of good fortune. SASS will now have an official Team SASS Director sitting on the NRA Board of Directors--a very active and influential member I might add. By naming Joe as a Team SASS Director, SASS' influence, credibility, visibility and overall effectiveness is immediately increased and enhanced far beyond anything I could do alone. We also have the perfect fit to act as the Team SASS#2.

It is my great honor to announce that effective immediately, Joe DeBergalis, aka Allegiance is named Deputy Director of Team SASS.

Welcome aboard Joe. I see only great things ahead for both SASS and the NRA.

Check out his website...particularly I want to draw your attention to the link regarding Joe's Work at the NRA.

http://www.nrajoe.com/

SASS Second Amendment Support Match Proposal

SASS Second Amendment Support Match

I visited the TSRA Match this weekend honchoed by Diablo Slim and sponsored by the Texas Ten Horns of Greenville Texas. Their match was designed as a fund raiser for the Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA). Their effort sparked an idea I'd like to suggest to Team SASS.

That suggestion is a nationwide effort to put on individual SASS 2A Support Matches at every SASS Club across the USA.

As we all know pro-gun organizations at both the state and national levels are in real need of funding to continue our fight to preserve, protect and defend America's Second Amendment rights which are being threatened daily by anti-constitutionalists in every state and Washington D.C.. We all continue to receive requests for individual donations on a regular basis as validation of that need.

We propose that clubs and match directors consider sponsoring a SASS 2A Support Match donating some or all of the proceeds to a gun organization(s) of their choice at the state and/or national level from either a special match or one of their monthly matches designated specifically as a SASS 2A Support Match. The funds raised could be as a result of match fees and/or special fund raising events in association with or as part of the match.

A suggestion to participating clubs from US Grant, SASS #2:

"I think one of the best ways to promote it is to have the individual club select the organization they wish to support and then do so with a special stage or activity that would be specifically to raise funds to donate to a chosen entity and label it "SASS 2A"

Such a 2A Support Match effort is a win win for us all: it would help provide badly needed financial support to those organizations involved on the front lines of the fight helping them to carry on that battle for all. Demonstrate the added value Team SASS brings to the fight and would also give our members a real sense of meaningful and direct participation in the battle while doing what we all enjoy doing...shooting cowboy!

I ask match directors and their respective clubs to seriously consider implementing this suggestion and add their support to the fight...not only for the benefit of our current generation but for all those who will come after and learn by your patriotic example.

Concept of the Operation: We’re Pushing Back with Resolve.

Im most honored the Wild Bunch asked me to lead this effort and feel very privileged to be working with and representing you all and SASS HQs in this. Your kind words of support in responding to Texs post are very much appreciated. As for the Field Marshal thingyoull have to ask Tex about that moniker. I never envisioned myself as anything so grand. smile.gif

As you can read from the mission statement and concept of the operation I provided to the Wild Bunch in response to their request which Tex included in his initial post, this is one mission about which I feel very impassioned. I'm extremely proud of the SASS Wild Bunch for their proactive stance in taking this course of action. While I cant promise miracles, I do promise you my best effort in leading OUR fight against this threat to OUR constitution. I will do my best to keep you involved and informed as well as request and coordinate the call for any action on the part of the SASS general membership. Ill also be working closely with other organizations and gun manufactures, urging them to do so in a coordinated way.

Just a few points to set the groundwork:

I see our task as a resolute push back mission. We are not here to surrender or compromise our principles in any way with those who ignore or attempt to transform/redefine our right to keep and bear arms. Resolved, focused, unified and persistent must define our efforts. This requires every member to be involved in a personal, rational and dedicated way. Great numbers of resolute patriots who have drawn a line in stone cannot and will not be ignored by those temporarily in power. As Thomas Jefferson advised, In matter of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. I intend to follow Jeffersons admonition.

I have no miracles hidden in my rucksack that will make this threat to our rights disappear. Please keep that in mind as we travel this trail TOGETHER. It will take the personal involvement all of us working as a combined and closely knit team if were to have an impact.

Youll not get any requests from me to donate money to any particular group. Ill simply ask you to support your preferred pro-gun organization as you determine appropriate and help urge them to combine their efforts with other pro-gun groups but I do ask you to get involved! Your involvement is crucial to our mission. We cannot strongly push back with only a small percentage of our forceand push back is what we must do.

You must be heard. Consistently inundating politicians at all levels with email, snail mail and phone calls will be our first operation and will continue throughout. Great numbers are much more effective than great words. More on this in a subsequent post. Watch for Team SASS: Call for Action.

The messages I pin on the Wire are not to be viewed as a mini version of the old Political Fire forum. Those messages are to inform and call for general action as required. If any responses to my posts become argumentative and cross the line into less than constructive territory, I will have to activate my Moderator privileges and take appropriate action. I certainly welcome, need and ask for your input and ideas but please respect the established rules of the Wire. This issue can very easily lend itself to passionate language but keep in mind the old adage, Those the gods seek to destroy, they first make mad. Keep your eye on our ultimate objective. Were not here seeking self-destruction.

You are the key. Without the combined you we can do nothing. I need you, your children and descendents need you, we need each other and most certainly America needs us all at this time in her history. As Ive often written, if our forefathers were willing to pledge their lives, fortunes and sacred honor to establish America, can we do less to preserve it?

Team SASS Phase II Needs State Directors

The national strategy for Team SASS Phase II is simple: to peacefully, politely but forcefully confront and impress upon politicians at the local, state and national levels that SASS gun owners are not going away and we refuse to tacitly swallow ANY anti-gun actions at ANY level. We are here, we are free, we are avid patriotic Americans, we are gun owners, we contribute to the fight, we know the constitution, we know our unalienable rights, we support solid constitutional conservatives and we most assuredly vote in large numbers!

I envision SASS members initiating Phase II activities through numerous groups nationwide--small or large in number, whatever size groups can be arranged. Within their locality and state they will attend town halls, rallies and personal meetings with their elected representatives to avidly support our single issue of gun rights.

To successfully execute this Phase II national strategy we must be well organized within each state. Fortunately, SASS is already structured for success via our local Cowboy Clubs. Team SASS intends to use that existing configuration as the foundational basis for our Phase II decentralized approach and our Team needs YOU if we are to successfully execute that plan.

Such an organizational structure wouldnt require all the members from each of these clubs to be involved but just 2 or 3 as an example, who have the fire in their bellies to make a difference. The critically important lynchpin of this plan however is having a solid leader for that state!

Our concept is to identify Team SASS State Directors (TSSD) in as many states as possible. The role of the TSSD will be to lead this effort within their state, contact and stay in touch with representatives of as many clubs as possible and enlist those who have the requisite enthusiasm for and dedication to our cause. These leaders will provide the motivation and coordination for the club representatives to actively confront politicians and push our single issue agenda of supporting the Second Amendment. They would be the official SASS representative between their state and Team SASS HQs.

Sackett, SASS# 22531, was the first to volunteer as a TSSD for his state of Utah. He is a perfect fit for this position as he is well known, enthusiastic, well connected and has the fire in his belly for the struggle. He is a very motivated activist for the 2A.

If you or someone you know is serious about fighting for America's freedom to keep and bear arms and who may be interested in being a Team SASS State Director, please reply to this posting with your alias, SASS# and email address. If you prefer not to place that information on our open forum, please email me at: coloneldan@bellsouth.net.

In my view, the need for these leaders is so important that if the right people dont step up to the call, our Phase II National Strategy will be seriously degraded.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from many of you as we continue this decisive fight for freedom together.

State Constitutions and the Right to Arms

I've pinned this on our Forum for permanent reference. Seems to me, many states have been paying only lip service to their sworn oath of office to uphold their own state's constitution! Team SASS Phase II activities should confront those that have abrogated and/or ignored their sworn duties.

Alabama

That the great, general and essential principles of liberty and free government may be recognized and established, we declare.... That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state. (Art. I, § 26) (1819)

Alaska

A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State. (Art. I, § 19) (1994; previous version 1959)

Arizona

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the State shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men. (Art. II, § 26) (1912)

Arkansas

The citizens of this State shall have the right to keep and bear arms for their common defense. (Art. II, § 5) (1868; previous versions 1864, 1861, 1836)test

Colorado

The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons. (Art. II, § 13) (1876)

Connecticut

Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state. (Art. I, § 15) (1818)

Delaware

A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use. (Art. I, § 20) (1987)

Florida

The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law. (Art. I, § 8, [a]) (1990; previous versions 1968, 1885, 1868, 1838)

Georgia

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but the General Assembly shall have the power to prescribe the manner in which arms may be borne. (1982 Constitution, Art. I, § 1, para. 8) (1982; previous versions 1877, 1868, 1865)

Hawaii

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. (Art. I, § 15) (1959)

Idaho

The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the commission of a felony. (Art. I, § 11) (1978; previous version 1889)

Illinois

Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. (Art. I, § 22) (1970)

Indiana

The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State. (Art. I, § 32) (1851; previous version, 1816)

Kansas

A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state, for lawful hunting and recreational use, and for any other lawful purpose. (Bill of Rights, § 4) (2011; previous version 1859)

Kentucky

All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned: ... [t]he right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the state, subject to the power of the general assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons. (Bill of Rights, § 1) (1891; previous versions 1850, 1799)

Louisiana

The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person. (Art. I, § 11) (1974; previous version 1879)

Maine

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned. (Art. I, § 16)(1987; previous version 1819)

Massachusetts

The people have a right to keep and bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it. (Part I, Art. XVII) (1780)

Michigan

Every person has a right to keep or bear arms for the defense of himself and the State. (Art. I, § 6) (1963; previous versions 1850, 1835)

Mississippi

The right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but the legislature may regulate or forbid carrying concealed weapons. (Art. III, § 12) (1890; previous versions 1868, 1817)

Missouri

That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons. (Art. I, § 23) (1945; previous versions 1875, 1865, 1820)

Montana

The right of any person to keep or bear arms in defense of his own home, person, and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. (Art. II, § 12)

Militia forces shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of the state except those excepted by law. (Art. VI, § 14) (1889)

Nebraska

All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. (Art. I, § 1) (1988)

Nevada

Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes. (Art. I, § 11, [1]) (1982)

New Hampshire

All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state. (Part I, Art. 2a)

No person, who is conscientiously scrupulous about the lawfulness of bearing arms, shall be compelled thereto. (Part I, Art. 13) (1982)

New Mexico

No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms. (Art. II, § 6) (1986; previous versions 1971, 1912)

North Carolina

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice. (Art. I, § 30) (1971; previous versions 1876, 1868, 1776)

North Dakota

All individuals are by nature equally free and independent and have certain inalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty; acquiring, possessing and protecting property and reputation; pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness; and to keep and bear arms for the defense of their person, family, property, and the state, and for lawful hunting, recreational and other lawful purposes, which shall not be infringed. (Art. I, § 1) (1984)

Ohio

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power. (Art. I, §4) (1851; previous version 1802)

Oklahoma

The right of a citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person or property, or in aid of the civil power, when thereunto legally summoned, shall never be prohibited; but nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from regulating the carrying of weapons. (Art. II, § 26) (1907)

Oregon

The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power. (Art. I, § 27) (1857)

Pennsylvania

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. (Art. I, § 21) (1790)

Rhode Island

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. (Art. I, § 22) (1842)

South Carolina

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As, in times of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained without the consent of the General Assembly. The military power of the State shall always be held in subordination to the civil authority and be governed by it. No soldier shall in time of peace be quartered in any house without the consent of the owner nor in time of war but in the manner prescribed by law. (Art. I, § 20) (1895; previous version 1868)

South Dakota

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied. (Art. VI, §24) (1889)

Tennessee

That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime. (Art. I, § 26) (1870; previous versions 1834, 1796)

Texas

Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime. (Art. I, § 23) (1876; previous versions 1868, 1845)

Note: The Texas Declaration of Independence stated that "[The Mexican government] has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defense—the rightful property of freemen—and formidable only to tyrannical governments." The Republic of Texas Constitution of 1836 also protected Texans` right to arms:

Every citizen shall have the right to bear arms in defence of himself and the republic. The military shall at all times and in all cases be subordinate to the civil power."

Utah

The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state as well as for other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the legislature from defining the lawful use of arms. (Art. I, § 6) (1984; previous version 1895)

Vermont

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State—and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power. (Chapter I, Art. 16) (1777)

Virginia

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. (Art. I, § 13) (1971; previous version 1776)

Washington

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men. (Art. I, § 24) (1889)

West Virginia

A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home, and state, and for lawful hunting and recreational use. (Art. 3, § 22) (1986)

Wisconsin

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation, or any other lawful purpose. (Art. 1, § 25) (1998; approved by a 3:1 margin among Wisconsin voters)

Wyoming

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the state shall not be denied. (Art. I, § 24) (1889)

Other States

California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York do not have "right to keep and bear arms" provisions in their state constitutions.

Two of those states have general provisions that protect a right to defend life and liberty:

· Iowa`s constitution (Art. I, § 1) states: "All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inalienable rights—among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness."

· New Jersey`s (Art. I, § 1) states: "All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain natural and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and of pursuing and obtaining safety, and happiness."

Team SASS Liberty Links

Knowing where to find knowledge is knowledge as the old saying goes. Keeping informed is crucial to the Team SASS intitiative. I believe having a ready list of websites that we can quickly reference will be a solid and very useful asset.

Below is my first cut at developing a list of links dedicated to the preservation of Americans' gun rights and thereby Americans' Liberty. I will add to the Team SASS Liberty Links as new sites are made known to me.

If any Team SASS member can add to this, please let me know by sending me the link and I'll add it to our list.

Disclaimer: I obviously cannot take the time to verify every piece of information on all these sites so please keep that in mind. If we find a site that is less than trustworthy, my delete button remains at the ready.

Team SASS FAQs

Before reading the list below, please peruse the pinned postings on this forum. They will answer many questions you may have regarding the purpose, mission, goals, concept of operation, rules of the road etc.

Below are some questions that may or have arisen which may not be covered by the pinned posts.

If you have suggestions for additions to this list, shoot me a PM.

=====================

Q. It appears that more threads and posts are locked or deleted on this forum than other forums within SASS. Why is that? 

A. By its very political nature, this forum is more apt to stir emotions and generate arguments than other forums therefore I must keep a closer eye on what goes on here. Any discussion that degenerates into contentiousness is counterproductive to our stated mission to help preserve, protect and defend the Second Amendment as a TEAM. We’re all on the same pro-gun team here and division is not what we need. Disagreements? Sure, we’re human. "Bench fights” within our own dugout? Not on your life.

Q. What happens if an anti-gun outsider or spammer comes on the forum?

A. Totally ignore them; never respond to whatever it is they say. I have the ultimate sniper button. One push; one delete.

Q. Why is it some contentious posts stay up there longer than others and don’t seem to be caught right away?

A. I’m human with only one set of eyes and this is not my only function in life. When I find them, I take action. Reports PM’d to me or sent via the Report button on potential problems are always welcome…in fact I very much appreciate them. More than one set of eyes on the battlefield is always a big plus.

Q. What good are all these posts that complain and just pass along what the anti-gunners are doing?

A. If that’s all that happens as a result of a Team SASS member’s diligence in finding and reporting then they do no good at all. Information MUST be followed by action. This is an information forum whose purpose is target identification—the target being actions that infringe on our right to keep and bear arms. Once that target is ID’d, appropriate and coordinated action must be taken be it at the local, state or national level in that heat must be applied in big numbers to those who can best influence the action to thwart potential infringements.

Q. What are the most critical elements in this fight?

A. Knowledge, Information, Resolve, Dedication, Persistence, Tenacity, Unity, Teamwork, Cooperation and Coordination.

Q. What are the quick answers to our success?

A. Miracles...and only divinely inspired ones. Bottom Line: There are no quick or easy answers. We must be dedicated to the long term.

Q. With the growing number of anti-gunners and the press solidly on the “other side” what chance do we stand?

A. “They tell us…that we are weak – unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be when we are totally disarmed…Three million people, armed in the holy cause of liberty…are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us.” ~ Patrick Henry ~ That 3 million in 1775 has grown to about 80-100 million gun owners today. Are we weak? Not by a long shot but it will take focused application of the critical elements listed above to prevail.

Q. What national organizations have we formally partnered with in this fight since Team SASS was established?

A. NRA, GOA, SAF, Ruger and the Independent Institute.

Edited by Charlie T Waite
  • Thanks 2