SASS Wire Forum

Steel Target help

Coho

Our club is looking to get some new steel, and our normal go-to supplier doesn’t have 16x16 sized targets. So would anyone have a good source for 16x16 AR500 targets?

Coho

Do you have a source that does water jet or plasma cutting? We use AR400 and have a club member that does water jet cutting. He can do any shape or size. A plasma cutter will work for that too.

Check with local steel suppliers. I believe a club up here paid about $800 for a full sheet of 3/8" AR500 cut up and drilled.

Living up here, shipping cost can be an issue. We'd have to order any steel we need, and getting it cut is also a issue. So we like to order them premade if we can. Right now we use MGM and have their stands, so we're hopeful we can find something compatible.

Thanks for the help

Coho

Here's a link to the Jet.com site, I've bought some there with free shipping and the price seems pretty good.

https://jet.com/search?term=ar500 targets&category=17000264

Doubt listing my source in Phoenix, AZ would do you any good since shipping would be a killer BUT..... one thing I found when I was shopping around for our clubs targets was to quit searching for "Targets" and start looking at 3/8" AR500 steel sheets cut into squares.  Seems as if calling a 16" square plate a target magically doubles the price!

I don't know much about Alaska except that heavy machinery is everywhere and would think there would be quite a few local steel yards who might deal in AR 500 (Abrasive Resistant) steel plate.

If you can't find AR 500, look for some AR 400, I've been shooting cowboy loads, rifle, pistol and shotgun at my targets for several years and would invite anyone to check them out for pock marks.

Just a thought.

Archived