SASS Wire Forum

H.R. 5087 Assault Weapons Ban

Pat Riot

This is a newly introduced bill in the US House of Representatives.

When you read it you will see that it's not just about AR-15s. It's inclusive on nearly all Semi-Automatic firearms.

Read it. My commentary would be "preaching to the choir".

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5087/text

I just emailed my Congressman.

It was so hard to be objective and not get emotional.

Here is what I wrote:

To the Honorable Kurt Schrader,
I am writing you to express my sincere opposition to the bill HR 5087 Assault Weapons Ban of 2018.
This bill appears to be serious violation of the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution.
I see it as an orchestrated knee-jerk reaction to the tragic events that have unfolded in our country recently.
I believe that going after an object does nothing to address the conditions that caused individuals to do the atrocious acts that they have done.
There is a serious need for psychological support in this nation. There is also a very serious need for police agency communication, especially when esteemed agencies like the FBI are involved and they drop the ball.
This bill is a vehicle to gut the Second Amendment under the guise of "doing something about crime". I am adamantly opposed to this bill.

I just emailed my Senators & Congressman as well and also addressed the assault on portions of our our 1st, 4th, 5th as well.

Charlie

BTW - OLG that last emoticon bears a resemblance to your pic .... :lol:  :rolleyes:

The Government tried to ban alcohol. How did that work out? There are tens of millions of semi-automatic weapons in this country. Quite possibly well over the 100 million mark. How do you think that's going to work out?

24 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

The Government tried to ban alcohol. How did that work out? There are tens of millions of semi-automatic weapons in this country. Quite possibly well over the 100 million mark. How do you think that's going to work out?

Not well...not well at all. The way this reads they are going after ALL semi-auto guns, not just their silly "assault" rifles...that they can't describe yet fear and hate...

One of the features of what this bill defines a "semiautomatic assault rifle" is: (vi) A threaded barrel

As it doesn't specifically state the muzzle end of the barrel, I suppose any semi with a threaded barrel/receiver junction is fair game.

"A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following"

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

So... is the Glock 17 a semiauto version of a Glock 18?

For a bunch of bureaucrats who don't know a .306 from a .30-08 or which end the bullet cartridge thingie comes out of, they sure as hell put together a very comprehensive list of what would be allowed and what wouldn't be.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I just emailed my Congressman.

It was so hard to be objective and not get emotional.

Here is what I wrote:

To the Honorable Kurt Schrader,
I am writing you to express my sincere opposition to the bill HR 5087 Assault Weapons Ban of 2018.
This bill appears to be serious violation of the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution.
I see it as an orchestrated knee-jerk reaction to the tragic events that have unfolded in our country recently.
I believe that going after an object does nothing to address the conditions that caused individuals to do the atrocious acts that they have done.
There is a serious need for psychological support in this nation. There is also a very serious need for police agency communication, especially when esteemed agencies like the FBI are involved and they drop the ball.
This bill is a vehicle to gut the Second Amendment under the guise of "doing something about crime". I am adamantly opposed to this bill.

Well written Pat riot,  I have written my Congressmen also, I think its about time the NRA members and other gun owners of the U.S. plan a little "walk on Washington protest" and show our numbers to the country and the world, we cant afford to stand by quietly as we are want to do and let gun owners be smeared and slandered any more, I heard that nation wide there was around 600,000 people that protested the 2nd amendment a few days ago, hell there is over 5 million in the NRA alone. What kind of impact would even 1/2 of that number marching have on our gutless senators and congressmen? I for one am tired of standing quietly by and watch our rights being shredded, guess I'm getting old.  SCJ

2 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

One of the features of what this bill defines a "semiautomatic assault rifle" is: (vi) A threaded barrel

As it doesn't specifically state the muzzle end of the barrel, I suppose any semi with a threaded barrel/receiver junction is fair game.

"A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following"

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

So... is the Glock 17 a semiauto version of a Glock 18?

For a bunch of bureaucrats who don't know a .306 from a .30-08 or which end the bullet cartridge thingie comes out of, they sure as hell put together a very comprehensive list of what would be allowed and what wouldn't be.

Right you are ol pard, make no mistake, they woudnt stop with semi automatic weapons if they were to succeed in banning them. SCJ 

with 174 co-sponsors,....... hmmmmm

obviously, here on the SASS wire,.... we are all "preachn to the Choir".   ( although I'm glad to see SASS finally removed the comma theory from their version of the Second amendment. .....now if they'd just fix the capitalization ( more on this later ( maybe ))  )

I am going to fundamentally transform America

I know I heard this someplace....

yeah, I know who said it, too.   Do I feel intimidated ?   should I cite the source ?   or am I afraid of being labeled a "dissident" ?   Is "Big Brother" monitoring every computer that is powered up ?   And maybe even  some of 'em that ain't ? 

if you read the essay I referenced earlier ( Who Runs March for Our Lives?  ) the thing that hits you is the number of opposition groups

the Bill of Rights is essentially "Rx for Tyranny" : it prohibits to government the favorite techniques of the Tyrant

Oppressions ultimate resource is the cooperation of the oppressed
--James Joyce

after years of government directed education and propaganda addressed as "news"  a lot of sympathy has developed in our nation for what MacArthur referred to as "Federal Paternalism" in his legendary speech as Westpoint, May,  1962.   I notice this more and more these days as we must all be more and more careful to avoid "hate speech", to stick to that which is "politically correct".   The rot is spreading onto the First Amendment.    And with all this FISA stuff we note the rot spreading into the Fourth Amendment as well.

we face an emotional opposition.

anyone who's been married living for a while knows that facts, experience, and history are useless against an emotional argument.   "Useful Idiots" are being thrown in front of the television news cameras,..... by those who are working to implement an agenda of their own design.

They tried this once before and it did not reduce crime one bit according to the FBI. What makes them think there's any thing different? It has to pass the house and senate and Trump has to sign it! No way this is happening and they know it! They're doing this to pander to their liberal whacko base for votes!

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They tried this once before and it did not reduce crime one bit according to the FBI. What makes them think there's any thing different? It has to pass the house and senate and Trump has to sign it! No way this is happening and they know it! They're doing this to pander to their liberal whacko base for votes!

It's a specious argument and we all know it.   the difficulty lies in that altogether too many good people are taken in -- either by ignorance or by a desire to conform to popular opinion.

“In order to be a member of a flock of sheep, one must, above all, be a sheep oneself!”
--Einstein

There are a couple good articles on National Review today

Three Simple Reasons Why an Assault-Weapons Ban Is Bad Policy

"Blocking access to a new AR-15 is not remotely the same thing as stopping a mass shooting."

David Hogg: Oracle, or Useful Idiot?

Well, I heard back from my Congressman...He sent me a nice newsletter telling me what a great guy he is. That was it. :angry:

So, I am on his emailing list now...:wacko:

I did read through all the names of the co-sponsors. His name isn't on there though he is not in my party, if ya know what I mean. Lots of his cohorts are on the list. He does get an "A" rating from the NRA so he can't be all bad.

the Anti-gun Faction (AGF) will continue to chip away at gun rights hoping to abolish private gun ownership -- one chip at a time.

as I see it the AGF is composed of two key elements:   (1) the Tyrant's Gang, and (2) The Tyrant's "Useful Idiots"

the Gang attempts to manipulate  the Useful Idiots with emotional arguments.   Off the news we see only the emotional arguments.   The real issue is that the Tyrant wants a monopoly on the use of arms.

I like to describe the Bill of Rights as "Rx for Tyranny".    The Bill of Rights prohibits to government all of the tyrant's favorite techniques.

5 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

Today's suggested reading

The ‘Nice Girl’ Who Saved the Second Amendment   ( nice girl is Joyce Lee Malcolm )

this touches on how the Heller decision was determined

GW, that was an excellent article... I'm going to share it with a bunch of folks.  And any here who haven't read it, you should - it's kind of uplifting, in a gritty sort of way.

59 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

GW, that was an excellent article... I'm going to share it with a bunch of folks.  And any here who haven't read it, you should - it's kind of uplifting, in a gritty sort of way.

many moons ago it was an essay by the same Joyce Lee Malcolm dealing wit the so called "comma theory" that set me off to try and find the correct text of the Second Amendment

when I tried to research it -- I was unable to find any two copies that were identical in punctuation and capitalization

eventually I found this:

Original 12 Articles sent to the States for ratification

as you'll all remember: 12 articles were submitted to the States for ratification; only Articles 3-12 were approved -- and became the "Bill of Rights"

here's Article the Fourth:

amend2.gif.8d9d6c2300ea840b3443ae66350810cc.gif

now you know what the Second Amendment is supposed to be.   Only the original text -- as approved by the States -- carries the Force of Law

here's a link to my original research -- if anyone is interested

Tampering with the Second Amendment

it's a bit dated; when i revisited the topic some of the references had cleaned up their act.   a little.   I even had to hunt down the original scann again -- using the Wayback Machine.    Sometimes documents disappear off the web -- what''s up with that ??

I tried to get a copy of her "To Keep and Bear Arms" on Amazon..... it's listed as out of stock.    used copies from collector stores starting at $135 and up.   and no, i didn't omit the decimal point in the price.

used copies from collector stores starting at $135 and up.   and no, i didn't omit the decimal point in the price...

A bargain, compared to the $296.256 Barnes & Noble wants for their used copy!   money eyes 

32 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

A bargain, compared to the $296.256 Barnes & Noble wants for their used copy!   money eyes 

tee hee

one offer on Amazon was almost a grand

another one that's hard to get: God the Gunman and Me (Jeanne Assam).   I have an autographed copy !! :)

6 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

Today's suggested reading

The ‘Nice Girl’ Who Saved the Second Amendment   ( nice girl is Joyce Lee Malcolm )

this touches on how the Heller decision was determined

She is a very knowledgeable lady, I own two of her books: To Keep and Bear Arms & Guns and Violence: The English Experience (in paperback of course - hardcovers are a bit spendy :wacko:).  I would recommend both tor those who enjoy history and reading (I do but with Dyslexia find difficult so it took a while to get through them).  Thanks Grampaw Willie :D for reminding me of her works; I just pulled them off the shelf to go through again.

Charlie

Archived