SASS Wire Forum

Cylinder Issues With New Vaqueros

Clint Steele

Hello, all,

I'm fairly new to SASS.  Bought a pair of Ruger New (SASS) Vaqueros online (used, but they didn't look like they had been fired).  I noticed one revolver didn't spin as freely as the other, but now, after 3 months of matches, it seems to be getting worse.  I've done deep cleaning an oiling, and after swapping parts, it appears it's the cylinder and not a problem in the frame.  Anyone else have this issue?  How is Ruger for customer service?  I obviously don't want to be without a revolver for too long, as I'm shooting two matches a month now.  

Check if the bolt is dragging on slower one.. If so, it might be a weak loading gate spring.

Ruger has excellent customer service. However any aftermarket parts will be removed and the firearm returned to factory configuration. You usually but not always receive them back.

I suggest that you have a local to you CAS gunsmith check it out first.  Likely an easy fix and you will not have to wait weeks for your pistol to make the round trip.  Ask the pards you shoot with.; they'll likely know of someone local that can at least take a knowledgeable look at it.

When I purchased my last pair of new Vaqueros, one had a bad cylinder and some other problems.  I sent it back.  The revolver came back and it was as if I had sent it to a top smith for an action job.  It had a new cylinder and was incredibly smooth.   

Mine don't feel exactly the same......one is a tad more free than the other. IMHO they are probably are all going to feel a little different since they are not hand fitted and mass produced. Don't get me wrong it's not a big difference and neither feels like it's dragging or anything.....just ones spins easier.  You would never tell in a match but if you do a side by side comparison you can tell.

I've been shooting mine that way for 8 years and they are still going strong. 

9 hours ago, Clint Steele said:

Hello, all,

I'm fairly new to SASS.  Bought a pair of Ruger New (SASS) Vaqueros online (used, but they didn't look like they had been fired).  I noticed one revolver didn't spin as freely as the other, but now, after 3 months of matches, it seems to be getting worse.  I've done deep cleaning an oiling, and after swapping parts, it appears it's the cylinder and not a problem in the frame.  Anyone else have this issue?  How is Ruger for customer service?  I obviously don't want to be without a revolver for too long, as I'm shooting two matches a month now.  

May be obvious gun cleaning 101, but part of the mess around the cylinder gap is the base pin hole. Use of a 22 cal sweep there and light lube should be included in any cleaning. Then you have a fair comparison between guns.

12 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

Check to see if the cyclinders were swapped between the pair

been there and done it I would try swapping them 

some Ruger cyclinders have the last three numbers of the guns serial number etched on them

Someone had two .38-40/.40 S&W Vaqueros on here a few years ago; one 5 1/2 and one 4 3/4. I bought one and someone else bought the other. Several days later, I got a message from the pard who bought the other one asking  me to check the s/n on my cylinders, as one of his didn't fit and had the wrong number on it. Yep, the seller had gotten two of the cylinders mixed up and sent them out with the wrong guns.

Do you clean the cyl pin hole in the cyl and oil the hole like you would the chambers and bore?

A .25 cal brass brush works well here.

Some of the SASS Rugers sold in pairs have the last 3-4 numbers of the serial number on the front of the cyl.

Check yours, and see if the cyl's could have been switched.

What do you lube your guns with? I like Eezox.

OLG

my bolt was dragging on the cylinder and I very, very carefully stoned it down so it didn't drag as much

NOTE:  there is some drag necessary because of the way Vaqueros are made.  If you aren't sure find a good Ruger gunsmith

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the suggestions.  I have confirmed that the last three serial numbers on the cylinders match the serial numbers on the frames.  The drag doesn't seem to affect the function when firing - the one just doesn't freespin like it should (big difference between the two).  Gonna try a couple of things and will report back.

Send it to Ruger.  They have outstanding customer service.  If you would like the old parts back, attach a note with the gun.

WD

On the gun that is dragging (maybe) look first at the End Shake.  Cylinder may be a bit snug.  Next, look at the Barrel/Cylinder gap.  Measured with an automotive feeler gauge, the gap should be right at .004

Ruger customer service is excellent.

13 hours ago, Clint Steele said:

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the suggestions.  I have confirmed that the last three serial numbers on the cylinders match the serial numbers on the frames.  The drag doesn't seem to affect the function when firing - the one just doesn't freespin like it should (big difference between the two).  Gonna try a couple of things and will report back.

When was the last time you did a 'deep-clean' on these Rugers?

OLG

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎26 at 1:21 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Someone had two .38-40/.40 S&W Vaqueros on here a few years ago; one 5 1/2 and one 4 3/4. I bought one and someone else bought the other. Several days later, I got a message from the pard who bought the other one asking  me to check the s/n on my cylinders, as one of his didn't fit and had the wrong number on it. Yep, the seller had gotten two of the cylinders mixed up and sent them out with the wrong guns.

That sounds as bad as a BOO-BOO I made a few years ago. I'm in Canada and hunt moose north of the Arctic Watershed.

I use a SS Tikka M695 in .338WM for moose and a SS Tikka M695 in .30-06 for deer and other hunting south of the line.

Long story short, I mixed up the bolts and didn't notice it until I tried to chamber a .338 round, sitting on the moose watch.

Fortunately, we had a spare rifle in the group.

Here's a morning shot, just before we go out.

IMG_2096.JPG

12 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

That sounds as bad as a BOO-BOO I made a few years ago. I'm in Canada and hunt moose north of the Arctic Watershed.

I use a SS Tikka M695 in .338WM for moose and a SS Tikka M695 in .30-06 for deer and other hunting south of the line.

Long story short, I mixed up the bolts and didn't notice it until I tried to chamber a .338 round, sitting on the moose watch.

Fortunately, we had a spare rifle in the group.

Here's a morning shot, just before we go out.

IMG_2096.JPG

Now we all know where your alias came from !  :D:D

Rugers customer service is outstanding.  They have a fast turn around as well.  I have a M77 MkII rifle that is left handed and it took them 3 weeks to turn it around only because the rifle was 20 years old and the stock needed to be replaced so they had to make one from scratch.

11 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Now we all know where your alias came from !  :D:D

And that picture my friend is early October!!

And at this camp, we are in a tent type structure.

Nice and cozy with the wood stove, while outside......

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

Archived