SASS Wire Forum

CW Doc Shores

What does everyone think about spurs?  What do you like (plain, fancy, brass, iron, etc.)?  It's all about personal preference, and what's yours?

Ebay currently has close to 1,500 "spurs" in their "Collectiibl Western Amereicana" category.

Lookin' to pick up a pair

I no longer bother with them.

I only have one pair. They are the short plain type without rowels.

If you would like to have them, CW, send me a PM and I will mail them to you. They have brown leather straps.

They were given to me. I will give them to you. They are nothing fancy but you can wear them them to see if it trips your trigger.

If you are not on a horse they serve no purpose- unless you are in a costume contest of some kind

1 hour ago, Dutch Coroner said:

Pass.  Some of the best advice I've received "Do yourself a favor and take those spurs off."

Dutch

AMEN!

Wish I would someday take a photo at the Smith's Restaurant in Collins, Mo. As you enter there is a sign which states, "Please remove your spurs".:lol:

These are my favorite spurs, goes with my alias. At the range I don't even know I'm wearing them. Banquets and in the car they are a pain.

Chili Pepper Spurs.jpg

Hey Chili Pepper!

That is one good lookin' spur!

Mo

I like my spurs.  When Lindholm brothers was closing up shop I got one of the last pairs to come out of their shop.   Didn't really have the money to spend at the time but I did anyway, and don't regret it.   I like hearing the jingle bobs jingle.

I thought it was a good idea to wear spurs one time until I forgot that I was wearing them and turned my feet back out when I was walking and the spurs came together and locked up and I did a face plant.

21 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I thought it was a good idea to wear spurs one time until I forgot that I was wearing them and turned my feet back out when I was walking and the spurs came together and locked up and I did a face plant.

That's funny right there!

May the stage writers that have stairs as a prop and write stages that have you coming down the stairs during a stage........burn in hell!

Just now, Ace_of_Hearts said:

That's funny right there!

Thought you’d like that. I learned I weren’t a spur wearer.

LOL....I thought I'd look cool w/them when I first started.  So I bought a pair.

But now a days.   I'm doing a lot of waddie work.   So, spurs and other clothes that I thought I'd look cool in......has been ignored.  Still having fun though.  And, that's the important thing.  :P

Aloha, Mark

For me, wearing spurs is part of the fun of CAS.  I have 7 sets, from the cavalry type (which are great for banquets) to one pair with big antique-look rowels.  Like Griz said above, hearing the jingle bobs jingle is a big deal.

Holler

I like spurs and wear them most of the time. There have been occasions when I've locked them together, but luckily haven't face planted like Yul. The tips of my boots are scratched from the spurs, don't know how, but they are. Driving hasn't been an issue even a Corolla with a stick at times. The Jingle Bob is great to hear!

They are not for everyone though.

Tully

I wear spurs to every match. I ain’t ever had them lock together like like Yul, but I did learn to be careful while kneeling down to pick up brass. Luckily mine aren’t sharp enough to add extra holes in my backside. To me, there ain’t many things more cowboy than wearing spurs. Maybe the hat and boots, but spurs aren’t far behind. 

Love em. I own 5 pair now.

I won't play cowboy without wearing them. 

Guest Grass Range #51406

Squatting with your spurs on takes care of an itchy butt without being obvious and scratching with your hand

6 minutes ago, Grass Range #51406 said:

Squatting with your spurs on takes care of an itchy butt without being obvious and scratching with your hand

maybe that's what he meant when he used the tag "assessories":P

Oh, something I forgot to mention. When wearing spurs, be careful if you cross your legs when sitting down in a chair. 

A pard of mine let me try a set of spurs with big / long rowels.  We sat down at the end of the match to have a beer and wait for the scores and I crossed my legs. Put a hole in my pants and a nice scrape on my thigh. I forgot I was wearing the spurs.

A proud owner of a pair of Lindholm Brothers spurs, haven’t had any problems when wearing them, I do take them off when driving.

Ned

I wear spurs maybe 50% of the time. Never had a problem. Started with the smallest rowel I could find to test wearing, then bought a larger rowel and after test wearing those bought a pair with a bigger rowel than the second pair. Still no problem. The only real draw back to wearing spurs for me is the extra weight. Stages with a lot of movement, they will slow you down and tire you out sooner sort of like jogging wearing ankle weights. Many people just can't wear them at all. I do have a few scuff marks across the toes of my boots that polish hides but have never tripped.

Spurs are like any piece of equipment in this game, such as the loaded guns your shootin, you have to be aware and present minded.  

22 hours ago, Angry Ned said:

A proud owner of a pair of Lindholm Brothers spurs.

Ned

I'm a proud owner also of a pair of these...

Wore them quite a few years.. Never a problem..

until..

about a year and a half ago (after new hip) they got tangled on a pivot move.

I went down .. Yeah.. Face first.. No injuries..

I took took them off and haven't worn them since..

Rance ;)

Just my thinkin' only..:huh:

Ive worn spurs most of my life before I ever heard of SASS, so I drive, go up and down stairs, sit and cross my legs, all with spurs on. Mine are custom made by Robert Campbell, a local spur maker. Never got in my way but then Ive been wearing spurs for about 65 years.

The rowls are 5 cinco pesos. What the Texas Rangers made their badges out of.

"

boots.jpg

I am like Oklahoma Dee I like my spurs.  A Rancher friend of my Dad's gave me my first pair of spurs when I was about ten years old. I have been using spurs ever since.  I started buying and selling and collecting spurs in high school.  We make all the Bit and Spur shows at the Cowboy gatherings here in Texas.  The Cowboy Gatherings with spur shows are like the gun shows with all the spurs makers and traders 1000's of spurs for sale or trade.

Goatneck

I shoot Bwestern so spurs are req. Even if they wern't I would still wear them.

Yul's story made me think of one that happend at our range. The start of the stage was standing by the horse, holding the reins. 1 of the cowboy's tried to

"game" the start. He stood holding the reins behind his back. At the buzzer he dropped the reins. they looped around his spurs. He ended up in the same position as Yul Lose.

7 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Ive worn spurs most of my life before I ever heard of SASS, so I drive, go up and down stairs, sit and cross my legs, all with spurs on. Mine are custom made by Robert Campbell, a local spur maker. Never got in my way but then Ive been wearing spurs for about 65 years.

The rowls are 5 cinco pesos. What the Texas Rangers made their badges out of.

"

boots.jpg

Saw a rasp pair just last week made with silver dollar rowels, Indian penny bells and Morgan dime jingle bobs.  Coolest spurs I've ever seen!

Archived