SASS Wire Forum

facebook data

Trigger Mike

i too am on Facebook and we all now know that Facebook not only sells our information but also is not taking care to protect our information .  My profile on Facebook is a fake profile.  I use a different name, different state, different birthdate, different education level and leave blank lots of other requested information.  Many times people roll their eyes at me for doing so.  They seem to think that I am just being paranoid about not wanting the world to have access to all that information.  I am hoping that now people will reconsider putting their true information on there.  If someone is really your friend seems like they'd keep track about your birthday without the Facebook reminder.  Facebook is partly why this new generation has no clue about real life or how to communicate with friends and even how to be a friend to someone.  I wonder how many of the school shootings would not have happened if children knew how to be an actual friend to one another and not seek approval from having "friends" video what you do and posting it on youtube and Facebook for acceptance.  You can ban guns, knives, flame throwers or whatever weapon you like and so long as we have lost the ability to truly communicate and be a real friend then murderous sprees will continue to happen.  It is harder to kill someone that you have a true relationship with and easier to kill those who ignore you and live their life aloof by way of text and Facebook post.  If you must ban something, instead of guns, ban Facebook and text messaging and commit to actually talking to people.

Speaking of Facebook and guns, there's a new site out of the UK called "Gunbook" that aims to be a replacement for Facebook for gun owners. Naturally the UK Gun Control Network has called on the police to closely monitor the site. That's where we're headed in this country... dealing with a national attitude where anyone who even likes guns is considered weird and a possible threat to others.

Yeah, I have always kept my info off the interwebs...and then I came to work here in Oregon at a public agency and all my information was on line for all to see.

Name, address, phone, birthday, everything except my SSN. They said it was because of the "freedom of information act". :angry:

Just one more reason to get out of this gig...

6 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

i too am on Facebook and we all now know that Facebook not only sells our information but also is not taking care to protect our information .  My profile on Facebook is a fake profile.  I use a different name, different state, different birthdate, different education level and leave blank lots of other requested information.

DO NOT VORRY, VE NO WHOO U R AND VARE U LIFF.

If anyone thinks by not using FB they are keeping their information off the web.. 

Say I want to know about an ahole I use to work with. I go to the county auditors web site gives me value of his house, his taxes for year, what he paid for it and who he has the mortgage with. Plus his address. I go to google and see pictures of his house and yard. I then go to the clerk of courts and see if he has any traffic tickets or lawsuits. If he is there it will list his birthday, his driver license number, make, model & tag number. Since where I use to work has picture of the bigshots along with email addresses and education information.  So far I haven't got out of my recliner. I can now roll not to health dept and get a cerf'd birth cerf.

Unless you've been living in a remote cave off the grid for the past 20 years, virtually of you personal information is out there somewhere.

UB, that is where I am.  Off the grid for 25 years. My only presence on the internet is on the SASS wire.  That is too much but necessary. No way I advertise my presence.  And yes, I have an old dumb flip phone. No GPS on it and the battery comes right out until I need to make a call. No cell service for 40 miles from here.  Only satellite email and TV. 

1 hour ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

UB, that is where I am.  Off the grid for 25 years. My only presence on the internet is on the SASS wire.  That is too much but necessary. No way I advertise my presence.  And yes, I have an old dumb flip phone. No GPS on it and the battery comes right out until I need to make a call. No cell service for 40 miles from here.  Only satellite email and TV. 

No banking? Nothing recorded at the courthouse? No traffic tickets or lawsuits.

The times they are a changing and like it or not anonymity is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. I’ve often thought of leaving everything behind and disappearing into the wilderness, but I aint that tough.

You don’t vote and don’t pay taxes? No car to register and insure? Keep your gold buried under a rock?

have you checked Google Earth to see if they have pictures of your home?  I can almost read the license plate on my truck in the view of my home.

2 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

I have a I-Phone and an IMac, I'm on Facebook and Twitter and this forum and a couple others and I enjoy every minute of it! The data they collected from my facebook account don't amount to squat! 

Hi . Just to answer some questions if you are really curious.

S.S.  No tickets or lawsuits.

Nothing in my name in the courthouse anywhere except a birth certificate.

Banking in a blind trust.

Y.L. I do vote.

All taxes, properties, vehicles, etc. are in blind corporations.

I pay cash except for limited corporation C. Cards.

C.R.  I don't have an address on a public thoroughfare so not on Google earth.

All correspondence comes to various corporations. 

3 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Hi . Just to answer some questions if you are really curious.

S.S.  No tickets or lawsuits.

Nothing in my name in the courthouse anywhere except a birth certificate.

Banking in a blind trust.

Y.L. I do vote.

All taxes, properties, vehicles, etc. are in blind corporations.

I pay cash except for limited corporation C. Cards.

C.R.  I don't have an address on a public thoroughfare so not on Google earth.

All correspondence comes to various corporations. 

So you don't even exist huh???:P

Facebook selling data?  Well how do you think they got the money to pay the bills all these years and to make the inventor rich?

21 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Facebook selling data?  Well how do you think they got the money to pay the bills all these years and to make the inventor rich?

Exactly the PRODUCT they're selling is US!!!

Information is a commodity and is bought and sold everyday. Nearly everything that a person does is tracked and analyzed, I found out a lot about this yesterday. A young man that was with the group that I was in attending a play sat across from me at lunch and we talked about guns and CAS and wood working and I asked him what he did for a living and he told me that he analyzes information.  I asked him what kind of information and he told me electronic information mined or bought and sold on every aspect of our lives. I was dumbfounded at first and then as he attempted to explain it to me a light went on and I understood. There is very little privacy anymore.

Archived