SASS Wire Forum

How fast was James Arness on the draw?

Sounds like if you live in the east you have to stay up until 10: pm to watch Gunsmoke.  How many kids are allowed to stay up that late?

Notice the holster and belt rig he was wearing was more like an original 1880's style, with the belt going through the holster's belt loop formed by the skirt, instead of the Arvo Ojala rig he actually wore for the series opener and during the episodes.  That was a drop-loop style.  In the one opening scene where Matt is riding hell-for-leather, the holster is about beating his leg to pieces, and he steadies it with his hand!  Any wonder why old-timers actually used the older style?

"Speed's fine, accuracy's final! There's no second place winner in a gunfight!" - The late, great Bill Jordan.

According to Bob Munden, Jerry Lewis was the fastest Hollywood draw and shoot artist.

Don’t really care.  That’s was a classic piece, by two classic individuals. Thank for sharing MT

According to what I've been able to locate, Jerry Lewis and Sammy Davis Jr. were the two fastest, with Glenn Ford and James Garner being often mentioned as the fastest among "serious" western actors.

Gunsmoke was on Saturday night at 10:00, not a school night so it was big event my house!!:) Popcorn and chips etc etc

Arness was not that fast.  I wore my Stallion .45 during Gunsmoke's opening sequence and I beat him every week!  :D

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Arness was not that fast.  I wore my Stallion .45 during Gunsmoke's opening sequence and I beat him every week!  :D

Yes, but he made more money than you did, J Bar. :lol:

7 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

According to Bob Munden, Jerry Lewis was the fastest Hollywood draw and shoot artist.

Yup, and Sammy Davis was amazing too.

J-Bar, if you see this post and still have the video, please re-post the James Garner video you used as a teaser for a match. Still one of the most amazing gun spinning routines I've seen!

6 hours ago, Shootin' Shu said:

Jerry Lewis and Sammy were by far the fastest and best gun handlers.

Sammy Davis Jr. was an exceptionally tallented trick shooter and was equally good with a rope.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Yup, and Sammy Davis was amazing too.

J-Bar, if you see this post and still have the video, please re-post the James Garner video you used as a teaser for a match. Still one of the most amazing gun spinning routines I've seen!

Sure wish I had a pair of those buntlines.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

My video is buried somewhere in my hard drive, but fortunately another person posted the same clip on YouTube!  Enjoy:

Oh yea well if all these other guys were so fast them how come Matt Dillon killed more people than all of them put together??:P

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Oh yea well if all these other guys were so fast them how come Matt Dillon killed more people than all of them put together??:P

It was in the script. ;)

25 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

It was in the script. ;)

Thank you Capt. Obvious!:P

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

It was in the script. ;)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thank you Capt. Obvious!:P

Well how about Matt Dillon was paying attention when Wyatt Earp said; 

"Fast is fine but accuracy is final"

7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Well how about Matt Dillon was paying attention when Wyatt Earp said; 

"Fast is fine but accuracy is final"

He almost always shot 'em twice or three times!! :lol:

On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 3:59 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

I did the same thing! Then they made me go to bed without watching the show.

Archived