SASS Wire Forum

BSS, is there a way to get the firing pins to start retracting quicker,

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

the BSS won't open easily at times with spent shells and the firing pins used,,  I replaced the spirngs,, no burrs

As I open it very slowly when empty, the firing pins don't retract until you've  begun to open it.      seems the pins are sticking in the primers..

any suggestions,,,,,

and yes, it opens fine when empty, or snap caps are used,   ,,,

Mine hang up on factory AA primers. They are softer than the Winchester reload primers. It is fine with factory Remington shells or reloads with Winchester or federal primers. Hope this helps. You can try polishing the firing pins

MCJ

Had same problem as Medicine Creek Johnny..   Old stock ww aa      Goatneck Clem told me to try STS.  No problems with my reloads with Cheddite primers        GW

forgot to mention, new firing pins too...  they were reloads, but a friend was shooting it,,, not sure of the primers he had..  I'll shoot it with my cheddite primers this weekend

The cocking levers are worn. A spot weld on each and then filed down to about 10 thousands over will retract the pins sooner and stop them from sticking in primers.

Johnny M.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

The cocking levers are worn. A spot weld on each and then filed down to about 10 thousands over will retract the pins sooner and stop them from sticking in primers.

Johnny M.

thank you!!!

that makes sense...

I have an skb too,,,  and a few stoegers now, and a bakail....

the BSS won't open easily at times with spent shells and the firing pins used,

Could your issue be shooting them low velocity shotgun shells? Check the face of the action around the firing pin holes and see if the recoil of the spent rounds are leaving a mark there from the rim of the shell bases.  No marks?  Low velocity and pins not being pushed back into the action

the pins wont retract until the lever  is activated, the lugs are worn, I should be able to get them built up this week,,, then we'll see how it works

Archived