SASS Wire Forum

More of what we face.

Subdeacon Joe

A police sergeant calls a 5.56 "high powered."
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8108717-181/crimebeat-qa-what-exactly-is#comment-3817172208

CrimeBeat: What exactly is a high-powered firearm?

NICK RAHAIM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | March 20, 2018, 7:13PM

CrimeBeat Q&A is a weekly feature where reporters answer readers’ questions about local crimes and the law.

What exactly is a high-powered firearm?

There’s no legal definition so it depends on whom you ask.

Hunting rifles generally are, handguns generally aren’t and assault weapons are generally argued about.

To be clear, “high-powered” mostly refers to the bullets fired rather than the gun firing them.

“It’s kind of open for interpretation,” said Santa Rosa Police Sgt. Robert Reynolds, who oversees all training at the department, including weapons.

While the term commonly appears in the media, the sergeant avoids using the vague term to describe a firearm.

Reynolds considers any .223-caliber and bigger, to be high-powered. The most common round used in AR-15s is .223-caliber.

“An AR can reach out several hundred yards and do a lot of damage,” he said.

Caliber is the diameter of a bullet measured in 100ths of an inch, so a .223-caliber bullet is .223 inches in diameter.

Some firearms use the metric system where bullets are measured in millimeters, like the Santa Rosa police’s standard issue Glock 9mm firearm.

Assault weapons, based on the 1994 federal ban that expired in 2004, aren’t defined by the caliber of the round they fire or the amount of propellant packed in the casing. Rather, they are categorized by their capacity to hold ammunition and physical features, not the bullets they fire.

Assault weapons like Uzis, TEC-9s and MAC-10s fire pistol rounds that aren’t considered high-powered. Exactly what assault weapons are, and what they aren’t and what’s ambiguous about them, will be dealt with in a future CrimeBeat.

Gun dealer Gabriel Vaughn, owner of Sportsman’s Arms in Petaluma, says AR-15s aren’t even high-powered. He compares the size of the round to .22 caliber, often used to teach beginners how to shoot because of the lack of kickback.

“High-powered rifles are all the ones people don’t have a problem with,” Vaughn said.

The rounds AR-15s fire are .223 caliber, while common deer-hunting rifles use the larger .30-06 and .308. The AR-15’s less popular cousin, the AR-10, fires the equivalent of a .308.

But hunting rifles don’t often have detachable magazines that allow rapid fire and quick reloading, the characteristics that make assault weapons so controversial.

Bottom line: Vaughn doesn’t believe the AR-15 is a high-powered weapon, but Reynolds does. While the .22-caliber bullet is similar in size to the .223-caliber, the shape of it and the amount of powder packed in the casing behind it, are vastly different, Reynolds said.

“When you compare the two you see the results are much more devastating with the .223,” he said.

The comments

Svent Karlson • 21 hours ago
Well, it honestly depends on what the criteria you're trying to define.

In competition definition ,for instance, high power rifles are generally service style rifles, f class rifles, hunting rifles (open class) etc, and use .223, 30-06, 308, 303 British, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, etc. That's generally differentiated from rimfire or small bore.

If you're talking about effective range, .223, 7.62x39, 5.7x288mm and other smaller rounds are considered intermediary rounds, or rather rounds whos effectiveness fall into the range between short range (pistol range) and long range in effectiveness (usually about out to 400yards)

If you're talking about available kinetic energy, then you'd be looking at the larger cartridge sizes and larger diameter bullets. 6mm - 8mm, 30-50 cal etc. Generally dealing with higher pressures than a 223 and greater mass and much bigger than rimfire.

Generally the difference between a 223 and a 22 rimfire is bigger cases, more powder and center fire primers vs rimfire primers, so the velocity is different and the range is greater. Also the shape and weight of the bullet would be different different between the two as well (round nose bullets vs a variety of shapes) the rimfire struggles beyond 100 yards and isn't aerodynamic by any means.

Just a clarification too, the ar-10 is usually chambered in a 308, or the NATO equivalent (7.62x51 NATO) although many can be chambered in other larger rifle rounds depending on what the barrel is chambered in and usually accomdates larger length cartridges (308, 6.5mm creedmore, 338 federal, 338 lapua, 408 cheytac, etc.) Simlar to how, the ar-15 has a lot of different chambering for shorter cartridges (223/556, 224 valkyre, 7.62x39, 450 bushmaster, 6.5 grendel, 50 Beowulf, 458 socom,etc.), in general, its a bigger, heavier gun than the ar-15. Again, these would all be considered higher power than rimfire or small bore rifles

In pistols, high power would be your magnum rounds (357mag, 44rem mag, 460 Rowland, 50ae, 500 s/w, 454 casull, etc ) and generally deal with more powder, greater velocities and pressures that would blow apart other less robust pistols.

But again, it depends on what definition, you're using, and why.

•Reply•Share ›
Russ Lown  Svent Karlson • 21 hours ago
A very nice description! Lawmakers will never figure it out.

•Reply•Share ›
Svent Karlson  Russ Lown • 14 hours ago
:) yeah... well, most of the time they come up with definitions to suit a purpose that has no bearing on anything functionally speaking, so it ends up being about the purpose of the definition, which can be misleading.

in the case of a small caliber rifle round like the 223, if you're calling it a high powered rifle, then it has more to do with trying to fool people into believing it's a more devastating round than it is IMHO, even though there's bigger and heavier, and faster rounds out there (300 win mag, 300 ultra, 338 lapua, 408 cheytac, 416 barrett, etc etc etc.)

anyways, like I said though, it all depends on how you're trying to differentiate the difference between "regular power" and "high power", because that definition can vary depending on the criteria you use to define it, similar on the ever changing definition of an "assault weapon".

•Reply•Share ›
Russ Lown  Svent Karlson • 12 hours ago
I prefer the 7mm when hunting. The .44 pistol w/scope is my other fav for heavy timber hunting areas. .22LR is really for squirrels. Always wanted a .220 swift but couldn't justify it.

•Reply•Share ›
Sol  Russ Lown • 9 hours ago
"Always wanted a .220 swift but couldn't justify it." ? LOL

•Reply•Share ›
David Haynes  Sol • 33 minutes ago
SOL: That's an old, old cartridge using a 6mm Lee case and 22 cal projectile. It's claim to fame is that it topped 4,000 fps. This article is full of generalities and opinion. Like asking your dog walker about brain surgery.

Sol, you'll love this, the guy who actually coined the phrase "Assault Rifle" was Adolph Hitler. The German arms industry developed a stamped and welded smaller rifle using the 7.92X33 cartridge which wasn't as powerful as the full sized rifle. Hitler called it "Sturmgewehr" the STG43 became an Assault Rifle. So I guess that assault weapons are not "High Powered?" Kind of fitting that anti gun zealots follow Hitler's lead isn't it?

•Reply•Share ›
Compton1032  Svent Karlson • 7 hours ago
.17, High Powered just by sheer speed?

•Reply•Share ›
Svent Karlson  Compton1032 • 3 hours ago
those usually fall under smallbore /rimfire in competition due to size and weight if you're talking about .17 hmr. which is twice the fps of a high velocity 22long.

though I agree it's a zippy little sucker; that's where the "high powered rifle" definition begins to get a little sketchy, imo, if you're talking about speed of bullet travel, because that would open up the door to .17 hmr, .22 wmr, and the like, even though those are rimfire cartridges. so, that would bring us back to what exactly are the criteria for the definition being used, and why. :)

•Reply•Share ›
Russ Lown • a day ago
A silly article with absolutely no definition.

•Reply•Share ›
joe Right • 21 hours ago
It's not an "assault" anything until someone takes the item and maliciously uses it.

•Reply•Share ›
Mr RW Trickler • 8 hours ago
This is one of the most utterly stupid articles I've read in the DP for a while. They really need to hire people who actually do a little research themselves...

•Reply•Share ›
David Haynes  Mr RW Trickler • 26 minutes ago
This kind of offal deserves more than reading a few magazines or books, it take personal experience, demonstrated performance. Both of the so called experts are lacking. The last cop in Sonoma County that knew guns was the late great Prent Monson, he was the real deal and I miss shooting and hunting with him.

•Reply•Share ›
Mother • a day ago
Liberal Propaganda.

•Reply•Share ›
Big Dad • 6 hours ago
Can anyone see where this is leading.......LEO say the Napa shooter used or had a "High Powered Rifle" and gave no other description....Is there a link between that and this article, for the Lefties to spin this out of control....

•Reply•Share ›
Joe Lovell • a day ago
So Sgt. Reynolds says that almost every center-fire rifle round is 'high power.."

Care to define that in terms of muzzle energy and energy retained at 200 yards, 300 yards, and 500 yards?

•Edit•Reply•Share ›
Russ Lown  Joe Lovell • a day ago
pretty sure the definition should end up around rounds per minute. Most of the shootings aren't long range. I can walk into a gun store and pretty much tell which guns are anti-people weapons v. self protection and hunting.

•Reply•Share ›
Joe Lovell  Russ Lown • 16 minutes ago
Do tell!!!! You can tell at a glance? What is the difference between "anti-people" and "self protection?" Are you saying that some guns are good for self protection but can't be used to kill a person? WOW!

Tell us which of these are "anti-people" and which are OK for "self-protection and hunting."

http://www.m1garand.com/wp/...

http://img.photobucket.com/...

https://www.sportsmansoutdo...

https://media.midwayusa.com...

https://www.remington.com/s...

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/...

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/...

https://ii.cheaperthandirt....

https://i.ebayimg.com/image...

https://www.sportsmansoutdo...

•Edit•Reply•Share ›
Russ Lown  Joe Lovell • 11 minutes ago
thought that was clear in my post. rounds per minute. self protection, you're not really aiming much if its a clutch situation and it's dark; if you have a .223, you need to think about your neighbors as well. 9mm and 10 mm are better. Hunting guns don't look like something the Marines use. Seriously.

Post all the URL's you want. Means nothing. Just purchased a 12 gauge over/under. Definitely a waterfowl gun, and not for home protection. I prefer the .380 for that.

•Reply•Share ›
Sol  Joe Lovell • 9 hours ago
Memo To Gun Show Joe: Get a frigging life.

•Reply•Share ›
BlueBear • 19 hours ago
I do not know the full extent of Mr. Vaughn’s interview for this article, but if he said the .223 is comparable to the .22LR, as the article suggests he did, this is a completely irresponsible statement from an alleged expert. The .223 and the .22LR have nearly the same diameter but everything else about them is vastly different.

BTW, if readers of this article think the concept of “What’s an Assault Rifle” is about as clear as mud, then the article has done an excellent job of stating the sate of affairs surrounding this topic. Politicians are free to claim anything they want is an assault weapon while the Second Amendment crowd can equally claim those very same things are not.

•Reply•Share ›
Mortie Rabb • an hour ago
Give me a .45ACP handgun in stainless with pearl grips for close up work and a 30 06 for the distance.

•Reply•Share ›
Mr RW Trickler • 7 hours ago
Um, how old are the pictures at Sportman's? As the stock photo. Both show clear features that are illegal for sale in California. I guess the DP went with the scariest photos they could find to convince the masses that their agenda is true...

•Reply•Share ›
Mee Too 2  Mr RW Trickler • 7 hours ago
2015, see the info under the photo.

•Reply•Share ›

Mr RW Trickler  Mee Too 2 • 6 hours ago
Thanks - Looks like the DP went to great lengths to present accurate information for the article as we might expect. Sigh. Why do I bother with this rag (well, except for the comments section - the articles are just part of the state organ)...

•Reply•Share ›
Mediator • 7 hours ago
The republic won't collapse if they weren't available to the public.

•Reply•Share ›
Joe Lovell  Mediator • 25 minutes ago
The flip side is that neither will it collapse if they are available to the public.

•Edit•Reply•Share ›

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A police sergeant calls a 5.56 "high powered."
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8108717-181/crimebeat-qa-what-exactly-is#comment-3817172208

The comments

"pretty sure the definition should end up around rounds per minute. Most of the shootings aren't long range. I can walk into a gun store and pretty much tell which guns are anti-people weapons v. self protection and hunting." - "Hunting guns don't look like something the Marines use. Seriously.".... :o:huh::mellow::lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

2 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

"pretty sure the definition should end up around rounds per minute. Most of the shootings aren't long range. I can walk into a gun store and pretty much tell which guns are anti-people weapons v. self protection and hunting." - "Hunting guns don't look like something the Marines use. Seriously.".... :o:huh::mellow::lol:

Gunner!!  It's more like..........  <_<   or maybe................. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

Yep.  I had a little back and forth with that idjit trying to get him to nail down what he meant.  As usual, no luck.

Archived