SASS Wire Forum

semi auto cartridges in a revolver

Trigger Mike

I saw an email where Cimarron is going to make a SAA in 380 and on the classifieds a Ruger had a cylinder for 40 S & W.  I know about how a revolver like the Governor handles 45 ACP really well.  How does a 380 and 40 do in a revolver?  

I've shot 9mm and .40 in my Ruger convertible .357's & .38-40's, plus .45 acp in Uberti .45 Colt convertibles, and never had any problems with function or accuracy.

Howdy,

Full moon clips help out on some designs.

Single action cylinder has to be made for the round.

See the Ruger lcr in 9mm

No brass getting sprayed all over.

Best

CR

Well, first Cimmaron doesn’t really “make” anything, they import. 

Never seen a .380 wheelgun either. Should function as well as the 45 acp and 9mm though, which is to say just fine.

I'm sure .380 would probably function just fine, but the question would be . . . why would you want to shoot .380 in a wheel gun?  I understand shooting .45ACP and even 9mm, only because the ammo is relatively inexpensive (as compared to some cowboy loads) and many shooters (like myself) have a large stockpile of it to shoot in their modern handguns.  But .380 is rather expensive, and not nearly as available as .38.  Even if you reload, .380 brass is considerably more expensive than .38.  So if you want a revolver in a .38 caliber, stick with .38 or .357.  Just my humble opinion.

When I was still shooting Suppositories, I fit a pair of USFA with 45 ACP Cylinders and I fit a pair of Uberti 3 1/2 inch thunderer(s) with 45 ACP cylinders.  45 ACP and cowboy loaded 45 ACP ran just fine but I was really enamored of the ACP cylinders with C45S cases.  Excellent results.

My Ruger .38-40s came with a set of .40 S&W cylinders.  I'm not a fan of the Ruger .38-40 cylinders, but the .40 S&W cylinders work very well and there is plenty of cheep brass available.

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

My Ruger .38-40 came with a set of .40 S&W cylinders.  I'm not a fan of the Ruger .38-40 cylinders, but the .40 S&W cylinders work very well and there is plenty of cheep brass available.

the ruger dual set that was for sale on the classifieds got me thinking more about this subject, paired with the email that they will make a SAA in 380.  Let's say you carry a Glock 40 for example, but your wife prefers a revolver, get her the Ruger vaquero that shoots 40 and no need for different ammo.  or you carry a Colt Mustang 380 but she does not like a small frame semi auto, get her the Cimarron SAA that shoots 380, easier to buy ammo for the household.  better yet, you get a Glock 9mm, she does not like the Glock,, get her the Ruger double action revolver in 9mm and you get the Ruger PC9 carbine with the Glock magazine attachment and just one ammo takes care of everyone and the rifle and your pistol use the same ammo and magazine.  

T Mike,

You may well find the Cimarron 380 to be ...... inadequate.  It's not going to be an SAA.  It's going to be a little 1849 Conversion.  Cute but not real practicable for anything beyond across a card table.  Factory 380 Auto is not going to treat the Cimarron with kindness.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

T Mike,

You may well find the Cimarron 380 to be ...... inadequate.  It's not going to be an SAA.  It's going to be a little 1849 Conversion.  Cute but not real practicable for anything beyond across a card table.  Factory 380 Auto is not going to treat the Cimarron with kindness.

1849 should be .31 cal shooting a ~.320" ball. A .380 uses a .355" bullet...

A .380 cylinder on a Model P Jr frame would make more sense from a production standpoint.

It is my understanding, the cylinder, Recoil Shield and Barrel assembly are unique to this pistol.  It is being built as a cartridge gun and will not be convertible back to percussion.  I may be a fuddy duddy but the gun doesn't make good sense for anything.

Nope.  Not.  Went digging.  The 380 is being built on an 1862 Police action.  Bigger than an 1849.  The gun will look like a conversion, but is being built from the ground up as a cartridge gun.  Looks real trick but still not real practical.  Since the loading/unloading port doesn't close, pointing it up when you cock it will be pretty comical. 

If you're buying your ammo, it don't make any sense. Expensive.

But then, if you're buying your ammo, the 32 conversion cylinder for the 1849 Colt revolver makes no sense. Also expensive. Actually more expensive than the 380.

However, when you reload, both 32 S&W Long and 380 are fairly cheap. I think it would be a kinda cool little pocket pistol.

Archived