SASS Wire Forum

now even General Hooker offends people

Trigger Mike

A state legislator is upset at the sign over an entrance to the state house in Boston that reads, "General Hooker Entrance"   evidently some staffers refuse to use the entrance .  General Hooker, as you may recall, lost to General Lee at Chancellorsville as did many other yankee Generals, 

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/03/20/general-hooker-entrance-massachusetts-state-house-democrat-wants-name-change

Look, if people are ashamed of their station in life they should strive to do better. They owe it to themselves to try harder. If they won’t, then they deserve to be lumped in with the rest of the mediocrity. :P

Historically, there is a reason to be offended by Hooker.  It is said that no gentleman would step into his tent, and no lady could.

I guess I'm just getting old and cranky.  But it looks like people are working hard to find something to bitch about. 

Back in the olden days we had the Missouri-Kansas border war, War for the Southern Confederacy,  Prohibition,  Woman Suffrage,  The Great Depression,  a couple World Wars, several other "conflicts",  race riots, war protest,  bra burners, spotted owl, tree huggers, Waco, Ruby Ridge,  fuel shortages, pro-abortion,  anti-abotion,  PETA,  and now we're down to being offended by memorials of people and events that happened 150 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I'm wondering why people are offended by something that has been there all this time.  Why wasn't this a problem back when people were more prim and proper and blushed at the mere thought of some subjects?  

They want attention.

What they should get is attention but only in the form of a slap in the face and a boot in the, ahem...butt!

20 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I'm wondering why people are offended by something that has been there all this time.  Why wasn't this a problem back when people were more prim and proper and blushed at the mere thought of some subjects?  

I used this entrance for 7 years while in college and law school in Boston.  At the time, there was no sign over the door; it was not referred to as "The Hooker Entrance" - that's a more recent change.   A statue of Hooker, mounted on horseback, stood outside the entrance, with a name plaque reading "Hooker" attached to the base of the statute. 

The joke at that time was that Hooker's horse was, well, anatomically correct.  School kids on class trips would stop to stare and giggle.  

I suppose each generation has their own particular sensitivities.  At least the kids found it amusing.  The current class of complainers have absolutely no sense of humor, no understanding of history, and no ability to think critically.  

LL

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

The Legislator involved has been widely mocked in the local press, and her "complaint" has been dismissed by the Legislature.  Even in Massachusetts, there is no room for such silliness.

P.O.O.P.

LL

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hooker#/media/File%3AJoseph_Hooker_outside_MA_Statehouse.jpg

16 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Joseph Hooker has always offended me.  Next best thing to useless.

Please explain dead people offending you. No offense to your beliefs. I just don’t get it.

1 minute ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Please explain dead people offending you. No offense to your beliefs. I just don’t get it.

I'm just saying he was a lousy general.  :)

Just how damn stupid is that?!? What are people going to do when there's something seriously offensive that happens to them. Honestly...HELLOOOOO...."Hooker" is part of history, get your minds out of the gutter and GROW UP!

Hooker did very well at the Battle of Lookout Mountain, to name one. 

From all reports, he was not a gentleman.

42 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

very few where a match for General Lee.  The main reason Grant beat him was even though Grant did not win some of the battles he fought against Lee, he did not let that stop him from heading further south.  

I grew up n Georgia, and I was taught that it was really Sherman tha beat Lee.  His tactics might be considered war crimes today, but I'm not one to criticize.  The daughters of the confederacy gave us lectures after school and taught us racist songs.  It was a different time.

Archived