SASS Wire Forum

cost of a musket compared to modern rifles

Trigger Mike

In my quest to find an affordable 1795 Springfield that is of Pedersoli quality I realized that a musket, such as the 1795 Springfield is $1,450 but you can buy a cheap AR-15 for 600.  You can buy a Colt AR-15 for around $1,300 NIB.  A Weatherby hunting rifle with Leopold scope cost less than a reproduction flintlock or even cap lock rifle.  If muskets are that expensive to produce, how did our forefathers ever afford one back when they lacked the production facilities that we have today?  

That was back when labor was cheap and machining was expensive.

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Hand work

Imis

yep. Muskets and flint locks require a lot of manual labor hand fitting the parts together while an AR requires very little. If you wanted the same level of fit and finish on an AR as you will find on a $1500 musket it would also cost you $1500 or more.

You also have to consider the economies of scale.  Just a guess, but I bet that for every musket sold there are over 1000 AR's sold.

In the old days manual labor was very cheap. No unions, no 40-hour workweek, and no employee health insurance premiums. Everything from clothing to furniture to firearms was made by hand, either with a file or on a manually-operated machine. In recent years the cost to perform that sort of manual labor has skyrocketed while computers and robots (which can work 24/7 and never whine about wanting a raise) have taken over. Our Uberti and Winchester 1873s are made of expensive walnut and steel and cost $1000+ for a reason. AR-15 components are machined as well, but there is no hand fitting needed and the sheer volume of such production has lowered costs as well. The guy who manufactures AR-15 pins sells them to dozens of companies making AR-15s and can sell them at a huge volume discount.

Basic Capitalism actually. Supply and demand.

The same reason that a box of 12 gauge ammo costs less than a box of 410 ammo, although the 12 gauge's components cost more than twice as much as the 410s. Volume. For every thousand cases of 410 they make they probably make 100 thousand cases of 12 gauge. And for every musket Pedersoli turns out, Colt makes 500 ARs.

11 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

In my quest to find an affordable 1795 Springfield that is of Pedersoli quality I realized that a musket, such as the 1795 Springfield is $1,450 but you can buy a cheap AR-15 for 600.  You can buy a Colt AR-15 for around $1,300 NIB.  A Weatherby hunting rifle with Leopold scope cost less than a reproduction flintlock or even cap lock rifle.  If muskets are that expensive to produce, how did our forefathers ever afford one back when they lacked the production facilities that we have today?  

What will you be using the 1795 Springfield for? 

As a teaching tool for my children, currently I bring out a Brown Bess of Japanese decent every 4th of July to teach them why we have the 4th celebration and it does fairly well most of the time, but I also want to teach my sons about the Infantry and hunt with during Primitive weapons season once in a while.  Mainly I want it to put on my wall in my office since it is the rifle on my CIB.  

1 minute ago, Trigger Mike said:

As a teaching tool for my children, currently I bring out a Brown Bess of Japanese decent every 4th of July to teach them why we have the 4th celebration and it does fairly well most of the time, but I also want to teach my sons about the Infantry and hunt with during Primitive weapons season once in a while.  Mainly I want it to put on my wall in my office since it is the rifle on my CIB.  

Actually the weapon on the CIB is a 1795 Springfield Musket, the same arm is used in the infantry crossed rifles insignia.

It would have been bad form using the Brown Bess, which was a Redcoat wepon. ;)

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I was going to suggest a much cheaper TC Hawken rifle until you got to the last sentence. ;)

Archived