SASS Wire Forum

Cody-Dixon

Hoss

I enjoy shooting Cody-Dixon, and do so whenever I go to a match that offers it.  I'm curious as to who else offers it, both in Texas and "abroad"? 

The ones I know of are:

Texas Historical Shooting Society

Plum Creek Shooting Society.

Texican Rangers

C-D is a Southern category, mostly, where you have targets from 50-125 yds or so and shoot at them with big bore rifles.  Usually shoot 5-6 rounds vs. 10 pistol-caliber rounds.  They fit seamlessly into the standard SASS posses

Thunder River Renegades

Willow Hole Cowboys

both in The Republic

I need to get Nora Mae to try it out.  She likes shooting long range.  I've got an old Winchester 94 in 30-30.  May have to get her some ammo!

Occasionally the Red River Valley Cowpokes in Albany Ok will have a match. Usually on a Special Holiday match.

Texas Ten Horns shoot the 4th Saturday. We start at 1200 October through March and 0900 April through September. Would love to have you.

9 hours ago, three by eight said:

Hey I think   Texican Rangers  has a small miss print. 44-40 is a pistol round not a big bore

I'm conflicted calling the 32WCF, 38WCF and 44WCF pistol rounds.   I'm I wrong - weren't they introduced in the 73 Winchester? 

Wait...you mean the targets are actually outside spitting distance? Well I’ll be doggone...who’da thunk people could do such a thing...fascinating! Tell us more. :D

Just curious, would a Henry Single Shot 45-70 be legal for Cody-Dixon?

11 hours ago, three by eight said:

Hey I think   Texican Rangers  has a small miss print. 44-40 is a pistol round not a big bore

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm conflicted calling the 32WCF, 38WCF and 44WCF pistol rounds.   I'm I wrong - weren't they introduced in the 73 Winchester? 

Cody Dixon matches usually specify a traditional Black Powder Rifle Cartridge 30-30 or larger in caliber that are not main match SASS legal. The only exception being the 56-50. Examples are; 30-30, 30-40, 38-55, 40-65, 45-70, 45-70, 50-90, 56-50 and similar cartridges.

Bullets must be unjacketed cast lead although some clubs do allow gas checks. Target ranges are typically 50 to 200 yards and are shot off hand with the targets getting larger as the range increases.

Lever Action rifles must have an exposed hammer.

Only period correct single shot rifles are allowed. Handi RIfles, Little Sharps, and similar designs are not legal for Cody Dixon in most clubs.

Any Main Match legal pistol and shotgun may be used.

Some clubs may allow other period correct rifles to be shot along with Handi Rifles. Those that do will put them in their own category. Check with the clubs Cody Dixon MD/coordinator.

the rules vary a bit from club to club

at TRR we want the most folks to have a shot (pun) at enjoying SASS-like activities.  

while not part of the OP comment we even have BAM--C-D and BAM--WB categories 

as our beloved President-for-Life Blackpowder Burn says, "The more the merrier!"

We just had Cody-Dixon with our regular match this past weekend. First one at our range (Orange County Regulators) and they have them in Lake Charles upon occasion Up The Creek Gang). It's really a hoot to shoot!!

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Wait...you mean the targets are actually outside spitting distance? Well I’ll be doggone...who’da thunk people could do such a thing...fascinating! Tell us more. :D

Just curious, would a Henry Single Shot 45-70 be legal for Cody-Dixon?

The Texas Historical Shooting Society (THSS) was the club that more or less started Cody-Dixon. most clubs follow their rules, with some exceptions.

http://www.thss.org/rules/cody-dixon-rules/

THSS does not allow Handi-Rifles in Singles shot C-D, and I called recently to ask about the new Henry single shot rifles. they are not allowing them either. They want people to shoot Trapdoors, Highwalls, Sharps, etc. I have an original trapdoor I've been thinking about using in C-D single shot, but not sure I want to shoot it that much. I usually just use it in Plainsman side matches, 3 stages 6 rounds each is not as hard on me as 10 6 round stages! (My old trapdoor only likes 405 grn full case BP loads) they are hard on the old shoulder!  

I had been using a 1895 Marlin in 45-70. I recently picked up a 94 Win in 38-55. its a lot easier/quicker/cheaper to shoot. I use my Marlin for a backup rifle now.  I really enjoy shooting C-D, i would like to see more clubs offer it. it does take an additional set of targets, but usually just 2 or 3 per stage. 

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

THSS does not allow Handi-Rifles in Singles shot C-D, and I called recently to ask about the new Henry single shot rifles. they are not allowing them either.

Thank you Hoss. Good to know. :)

I guess if I ever get the chance to shoot Cody-Dixon I will need a new gun...Darn! ;):D

Old West Shooting Society, which is not sass sanctioned, does a similar match every other month. It's a lot of fun, but way different than the usual 10, 10, 4. For example, last Sunday we there were only four stages. Two of the stages had 15 rifle targets, some that were further than most shooters ever see anywhere. Since it's non-sass, other rules are allowed. Shotguns may be stoked. If a double barrel, may start opened with two in the chamber. All misses are 10 second penalties. And big bore guns are allowed. Heck, almost any type of old west gun is allowed. One guy brought a revolving carbine. Never seen something like that before. Most guys bring two rifles and/or extra long barrel rifles that can hold 13-15 rounds in anticipation of what's to come. It's pretty normal to see things like on the clock reloads of both rifle and pistol, splitting up of any target type like 10 rifle from window. Shoot pistol. 5 rifle from other window, etc. While it's not everyone's cup of tea, it does allow those of us that love all kinds of guns to actually use them in a match where you wouldn't normally be allowed to.

Texas Ten Horns have an open category where we allow Handi Rifles, Savage 99, 30-40 Krag, and similar period rifles. That way safe queens get a chance to be shot too.

One observation about the Handi Rifle and the new Single shot Henry rifles. They can be shot and reloaded so quickly that allowing them to shoot against other period correct rifles is not very competitive. Most shooters can actually outrun a miss or two when shooting against trapdoors, Sharps and High Walls. That may be why some clubs do not allow them.

We also shoot our pistols at targets set at the SASS main match rifle distances and misses are worth 10 seconds instead of 5. Those that I shoot with feel that Cody Dixon should be as much about marksmanship as it is about speed so increasing the miss penalty encourages marksmanship.

Archived