SASS Wire Forum

New "REMLIN" 1895's

Tinpan McGurk

Picked up a used Guide Gun in stainless at a recent gun show and thought I'd pass on some info. regarding it since there have been a lot of threads regarding the quality etc. of the "Remlins".

This one is a stainless model and the finish on the metal was decent..fit and finish on the stock is also decent, not as nice as the old Marlins but acceptable for a hunting/field rifle.  I had heard that the stock fit of the old Marlins was so good because they heated the tang and then put the stock on, the heated tang then seated into the stock, not sure if this is true or an old wives tale, the stock on the new one is not as good but is decent.

I put about 750 rounds through it, a mixed bag of 1,800 fps 405 grain jacketed flat points, 325 grain cast bullets at 1,400 FPS and a few Lehigh xtreme penetration brass solids at 1,750 FPS.  All shot a little left at 50 yards, adjusted the sight for windage and easily put four rounds inside a 3" paper plate at 50 yards from a standing off-hand position.

The action was a little gritty but again acceptable, it smoothed out a bit after I shot it...I may open 'er up and do a little bit of polishing, mostly for my own satisfaction, but not really necessary for a hunting/field rifle.  Trigger is OK, could be cleaned up a bit but fine for four quick shots from a standing position at a 50 yard plate.

All in all for $500.00 I wouldn't hesitate to take it hunting for hogs or as a defense gun against big critters if you go fishing, hiking or hunting out west.  Its not a "finely tuned work of art" but seems to be acceptable fit, finish and quality for a field rifle.

Thought folks might be interested in the results given all the discussion regarding the newer "Remlin" rifles.

Tinpan McGurk

Archived