SASS Wire Forum

WTB Wind-up Pocket Watch

Like the title says, I'm looking for a wind-up pocket watch. It has to run and keep accurate time. Hunter case is a plus. However, I don't have a huge amount of money to spend so I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. Whatcha got?

I found a nice one on Amazon for about $26.00 2 years ago and it is still working great.  WENSHIDA Classical Pocket Watch Silver Double Smooth Hunter Skeleton Mechanical Roman Numerals Chain Boximage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Charlie

I bought several antique watches on ebay years ago, back when they were cheap.

I carried them for a while, and they ended up not working. I didn't overwind them, but they're not running.

For my daily carry, I have several from Wally-World, for about $12 each. They're quartz from China, but I don't cry when they break.

Antiques are neat, but expensive.

Good luck.

Charlie... Sent you a PM !!!

I have been a collector of antique pocket watches for many years

and have accumulated quite a few.

I'm sure I can fix you up !!!

Brazos John.... A Real pocket watch does need an occasional service.

But there is just something Really Neat in carrying a 100 year old watch,

hearing that tick tick tick, watching those wheels spinning inside a jeweled setting

and knowing that someone built it all by hand.

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

A Real pocket watch does need an occasional service.

But there is just something Really Neat in carrying a 100 year old watch,

hearing that tick tick tick, watching those wheels spinning inside a jeweled setting

and knowing that someone built it all by hand.

Big +1 to that.  I have a Gold "Standard USA" Pocket watch with a nice heavy chain.  I took it into the jewelers for cleaning.   The jeweler advised me that it was made in 1869.  He further told me that as long as it was still working to leave it alone.  He then offered to buy it from me....I declined of course.:rolleyes:

CTW

FYI, for anyone thats interested......

Both of these watches are spoken for !!!!!!!!!!!

I do have a pretty good collection of nice high grade pocket watches 

(more than any sane person should have):D

I'll be posting some more FS at a later date.... Thanks, SS !!!!

Charlie, OK I went through my stuff & I have two that I'd be willing to let go for $100 plus $5 to cover shipping.

Both are New York Standards, both keep good time & both will be serviced before I ship em!!

First one is a 16 size 7 Jewel, model '94 demaskeened 3/4 plate nickel movement, stem wind & set with white porcelain dial.

In a Keystone 10K gold screwback open face case with arched bow, the crystal was replaced many years ago and is starting to yellow.

It is a "Sidewinder" stem at 3 o'clock, which is basically a Hunter movement housed in an Open face case.......

Second is a 12 size Crown bridge movement, 15 Jewel, stem wind & set, with a fancy silver Keystone dial.

In a very nice Keystone hinge back silver open face case. it also comes with a short nickel silver chain.

This is a Very Nice looking watch & chain.......

FYI, a 16 is just under 2" a 12 is right at 1 3/4" in diameter

not counting the stem...... Either one would make a really nice everyday carry watch.

I dont have any Hunters that I'm willing to part with at the moment.....

I will post pics later this evening, Thanks

I tried getting the best pics I could w/ my phone... It Aint Easy !!

Here Ya Go......

IMG_0646.thumb.jpg.65be42cf8caea755fd3ea7c93e08b783.jpg

IMG_0647.thumb.jpg.f5ca767e1d35bcf189a2d89b2c240262.jpg

IMG_0648.thumb.jpg.03bf17378ba89e59d8786219a332938b.jpg

IMG_0649.thumb.jpg.bfa2dbad8fe74477f0a906f46eb6dce4.jpg

Heres some more.............

IMG_0650.thumb.jpg.1ff41fb0849531d1ad03985d8734db2f.jpgIMG_0651.thumb.jpg.5b999eb2f2b630ed2105b4f8a47951f1.jpg

Here you can see a small crack in the porcelain dial, its not very visible in person...........

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

I've found some nice ones on evilbay under the steampunk pocket watch heading.   Cheap and you can usually find something Old Westishness

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=steampunk+watch&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsteampunk+pocket+watch.TRS0&_nkw=steampunk+pocket+watch&_sacat=0

Hey Charlie-

If you haven't managed to find anything yet, I've had pretty good luck rummaging around antique malls.  Ran into a couple that had boxes of old watches, chains and fobs in a "build your own" for 15-20 dollars a piece.  Actually found an old Remington cased watch at one of them.

Thanks. Not too many of those around here, but I do see them elsewhere. I hadn’t thought of that.

Archived