SASS Wire Forum

Ranger Point Marlin extractor

Dorado

I bought the Ranger Point Precision extractor for my Marlin and I'm having trouble installing it. I thought that the great SASS Hive Mind would be able to help me. My problem is that I can't get that solid pin out of my bolt. I have it soaking in some Liquid Wrench right now so that should help. But I've tried and tried to get that pin out and can't. I broke the punch that it came with and they were good enough to send me a new one. Incredible customer support btw. But I nearly broke it.  What do y'all think I should do? I've never had this pin out. I am driving it from the bottom like they suggest.

Dorado,

Soaking is a good idea.   But let it be known that some of the pins were placed in the bolt with the knarled end on the top of the bolt and some of them were put in the bolt with the knarled end on the underside.

From MY experience, when you try to drive the pin out in the wrong direction, the knarled section won't push thru the hole in the Extractor, and therefore, it becomes a problem.

Basically, of those I have worked on, the Knarled section is at the top of the bolt.   I place the bolt upside down and try to drive it out.

If this seems fruitless,  flip the bolt over and try it the other direction.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder.

What punch do you use for these? If I break this new one I'll buy a better one.

I may have to use my drill press. I do have a 5 ton press, that would either get it out or crush it, either way solves a problem and creates new ones. Lol

If memory serves me right. A thread on 73 extractors talked about using a decaping pin from your loading dies to punch out pin holding it in, they approx.  1/16in  =  .063       Might be worth a look      GW

I bought a set of gunsmith punches. Turns out I needed a nail punch filed down and a bigger hammer. Got the pin out but I need a new one. Gonna order one now and have it coming soon. Did not plan that out. Lol

It's no wonder it wasn't working right. No spring left in it and hardly any tooth. New one is a BEAST. It otta work great.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Use a section of drill shaft in place of the OEM pin.

Lightly dimple the holes in the bolt, after you install the pin.

OLG

Oh yeah, I could do that couldn't I. Too late. Got a pin coming.

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Do the drill shaft install and put the pin in the bag with the spare coil spring for the RPP extractor. ;)

That way, the rifle is ready to go now........

OLG

I'll need a 3/32 drill bit. I'll wait on the pin.

14 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Very common size. ;)

OLG

Oh I know. I just don't have one that I can cut down like that. I keep my bits sharp, and I buy the best I can. 

I'll wait until Tuesday. New pin is supposed to be here then.

Archived