SASS Wire Forum

Sure hit front sight and Open tops

3 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

There's almost no rear sight. What would you use the front sight for?:lol:

I used my Open Tops with bp for about 8 years...natural pointing pistols for me, don't remember using sights!

Now I remember Capt. Baylor's article and his post on Facebook, my big brain fart, but when I called and asked Slick about them, he told me he wasn't sure if they would or not, and I sent him a picture of them from the Taylor's website and he emailed me back he thought they would...

I can't actually think of a really good reason to do it.  There isn't enough rear sight to widen to take advantage of a Shur Hit.  I have dovetailed blade front sights into all of my Open Top guns, but they are nowhere near as large/wide as a Sure Hit.

It would work better on an 1851 or 1860 though, the rear sight is in the hammer and there is more metal there to open up.  That also worked very well with my dovetailed sights. 

Don't know much about the Sure Hit Sights, but that being said - 

A cheap/free solution that worked well for me, was to widen the rear notch on the barrel jeeeest a leeeetle with a file, and then take some steel wool to the rear and top of front blade, making it shiny.  Then, I re-blued the rear sight so it's good and dark.  WHAMMO! - the front sight picks up much better than before.  Useful for when [if] you use the front sight on the Open Top. . . 

Of course, I have to agree with Mad Dog Jack - incredibly naturally-pointing pistols.

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

Archived