SASS Wire Forum

Recoil pad for Stoeger 12 ga Coach Gun, 20" BBL

Sasnak

Hi, the Stoeger 12 ga kicks hard, so what is the best recoil pad to put on it?

Thanks in Advance!  Sasnak

Use lighter shells, unless you are using it for hunting. 

41 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Hi, the Stoeger 12 ga kicks hard, so what is the best recoil pad to put on it?

Thanks in Advance!  Sasnak

Grind-to-fit KickEze or Limbsaver are the softest and most universal, since they can be fit to almost any stock.  

A slip-on is fastest to install.

A pad that the maker TRIES to pre-fit exactly to a given model - often does not fit well on the stock.  Especially on something like the Brazilian made Stoegers where stock dimensions are not held real close to a standard dimension.   With most pad makers and when thinking about putting a pad on a small-volume gun like a Stoeger double, there's severe difficulty finding out if they even TRY to make a model-specific (pre-fit) recoil pad.

If you are having recoil problems with standard 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 ounce factory loads, the stock is not fitting you well, or you are not mounting gun properly.   You would be real wise to check in with a local SASS-knowledgeable gunsmith and have him check your shotgun fit and even your shooting stance!  I can shoot 100 factory loads a day in any shotgun, hard recoil pad or not, if it is fitting well. 

Good luck, GJ

Just now, Sasnak said:

I had some Federal 3 dram 1 1/8 shot, 7. 1/2 shot.

Those are extremely hot, you'll tell a huge difference if you go to the Low Noise/ Low Recoil of Federal Sub Sonic.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900197404/winchester-aa-low-recoil-target-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-8-shot

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953268336/federal-top-gun-low-recoil-subsonic-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-8-oz-7-1-2-shot

Randy

Your load equates to 1 1/8 oz of shot at 1200 fps.   W/w LRLN  is roughly 13/16oz at 980 fps     GW

I agree with Randy Saint Eagle, I would try shooting the Winchester low noise low recoil shells 980 fps. unless you have knock down targets that are just not normal these should be more than enough. as for a butt pad stick with the factory hard plastic butt plate that came on the Stoeger, it will mount smoother to the shoulder with less grab on the clothing and that equals speed. If you still need something I would suggest the Limb saver, 

They are the best in my opinion.   remember you only need to knock em down not kill em 

Plus one on the kick killer. Have it on my Stoeger & it makes a big difference. Also, the lace up model looks good!

Archived