SASS Wire Forum

Henry Single Shot 45-70 - Just picked mine up today

Pat Riot

I ordered my Henry Single Shot 45-70 from Cabela's on Jan. 21st. I got an email that I could pick it up today.

I will let the photos speak for themselves. Not bad for $370. 

5aa48f0473cd2_HenryUnpackaging-Edited.thumb.jpg.c6806e5843912241ce22c37821359348.jpg5aa48f470df90_HenryRightSide-Edited.thumb.jpg.158773bb311c0a262699c4b276eaddcc.jpg5aa48f3a6251f_HenryLeftSide-Edited.thumb.jpg.fdab446b42c11d60b4316a0157cff743.jpg5aa48f449e18e_HenryRightStock-Edited.thumb.jpg.4bb7d7c51a8885ccf9eeed1ba4d2d62c.jpg5aa48f411d7b9_HenryRightSideFrame-Edited.thumb.jpg.c23cf4202ab3b59f9fda85d8b2e960c0.jpg5aa48f3dcc785_HenryRightForend-Edited.thumb.jpg.8afde14923e97a0b46e120b41b64e0f4.jpg5aa48f3787c5c_HenryBarrelScrollMark-Edited.thumb.jpg.fc31e6843b1a6c5b02d5f547b19856f8.jpg5aa48f348be34_HenryRightScrollMark45-70-Edited.thumb.jpg.509345e8064c94dd048a39d02ee2137c.jpg

Good buy Pat.

The 45-70 is a serious cartridge and if hand loaded 'right', it can be a VERY serious cartridge.

You can shoot that thing amongst a pig gathering and my guess is that a 'few' of them (2 or 3) will soon meet their Waterloo.

I know the 405 grain slugs are good for the 45-70 but a few years back, I worked up some hot stuff with the Hornady 350 grain slugs.  They mushroomed perfect and shot great in my Marlin 1895.    I'm sure there are other great bullets on the market today that will help make you a happy owner of that nice looking rifle.

..........Widder

25 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Let me know if you want some load data for mild shooting rounds.  I have a great one using 4198 that approximates by ballistics with bullets ranging from 350 gr to 500 gr.

Oh yeah, I would love some load data. :D Thank you! Data is good!

My main reasons for buying this gun are half for Plainsman and half because I have wanted a 45-70 single shot rifle for a very long time. I just had other priorities. Last year I set my mind to buying one but every time I would pick up a late 1800’s replica with an octagon barrel and put it to my shoulder a few times my left shoulder would give me fits due to the weight. I have no cartilage in that shoulder. 

I had pretty much given up until I heard about these. The light weight will be impacting my right shoulder but I can handle and swing this baby around with no issue. And there is always the option of adding a recoil reducer and a different recoil pad and cover.

I plan to take it out today for some informal shooting just to get a feel for it and see how she aims with some HSM Cowboy ammo.

59 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Pat - it appears your mail box is full.

Well it wasn't full but getting close. I cleaned it up a bit. Thanks for letting me know. :)

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You gonna put a tang sight on it?

You're to ugly, to have a rifle that pretty..........:P

OLG

Is the tang long enough?

38 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You gonna put a tang sight on it?

You're to ugly, to have a rifle that pretty..........:P

OLG

Nope, the tang isn’t long enough and the top lever would be in the way. The barrel is drilled and tapped for Weaver 82 scope mounts (I believe it’s 82) but no, there doesn’t appear to be a way to mount a tang sight. I suppose I could drift in a ladder sight in place of the stock rear sight, if I so desired but I will probably just leave that alone for now. I didn’t buy it for long range but maybe a ladder sight might prove useful in the future.

By the way, I am prettier than you are, I am sure. :P

But the rifle sure is pretty. I  am gonna go put some miles on it here in an hour or two. 

Lee Shaver, the person who sells great soule (and other thngs) sights can mount a tang sight on the H&R and, I bet, he can mount one on these. For a very low price, he imbeds (solid) a metal block in the wrist of the stock that is drilled and tapped for the base of tang sights. 

A couple of shooting buddies, Dollar Bill Newman and Nunnfaster, had him do theirs. Very satisfied and you will like the prices. No connection but I have one of his sights on my 38-55. 

Be aware he is a world and national champion long range BP shooter, a gunsmith that builds the single shots, sells great sights, and will talk to you, Don't email :) 

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/

Well I took the henry to the woods and put 20 rounds through it.

The picture below is first shots "off-hand" at 50 yards. I adjusted the sight a bit and was busting clays at 50 yards and hitting 3 out of 4 shots.

The ammo I was shooting was HSM Cowboy 45-70, 405 grain hard cast lead RNFP at 1300 fps. Nice round. I plinked a bit with my .38 and that was all I could do hobbling around with that danged walking boot on my foot. My wife was my chauffeur today. She managed to find some rocks for her garden while I was disturbing the peaceful serenity of the surrounding area. :D

Man it's been a beautiful day. I added a shot of the scenery to the right of where I was shooting and a shot of me and my new Henry...and that danged walking boot...It has been a nice day today.

5aa5b697b8117_Henry1stshotsat50yards.thumb.jpg.505af4f474aa969688aeea443877d913.jpg5aa5b715ad3e1_Henryshootview3-11-18.thumb.jpg.5b2b00ba7040015be734fdcdb8191240.jpg5aa5b68126241_MeandHenry.thumb.jpg.1e32cc1bbd7487e63974f82a049243a4.jpg

Pat,

You don't need a 405 gr bullet for the plainsman.  I use a 300 grain bullet with success.  Some use a .457 grain round ball and a reduced powder charge and filler.  I think I'll try that out when I run out of 300 grain bullets.

8 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Pat,

You don't need a 405 gr bullet for the plainsman.  I use a 300 grain bullet with success.  Some use a .457 grain round ball and a reduced powder charge and filler.  I think I'll try that out when I run out of 300 grain bullets.

Thank you. Yes, I know. I have time to work up some loads.

I saw a post about using .457 round ball recently but can't remember where...

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you. Yes, I know. I have time to work up some loads.

I saw a post about using .457 round ball recently but can't remember where...

Yusta B loads that. I think half a case of 2f, cream of wheat to fill, RB on top.

I know some that load a very reduced charge of Unique for a plinking load.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?129602-45-70-round-ball

10 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Yusta B loads that. I think half a case of 2f, cream of wheat to fill, RB on top.

I know some that load a very reduced charge of Unique for a plinking load.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?129602-45-70-round-ball

Holy Cow, I am losing it. That is where I saw that info. He sent it to me...Hahaha...I swear, sometimes I think I need a memory enhancement. :lol:

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Holy Cow, I am losing it. That is where I saw that info. He sent it to me...Hahaha...I swear, sometimes I think I need a memory enhancement. :lol:

I saw where he wanted to send you something, but knowing him I thought he might have been inviting you to the prom.;)

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I saw where he wanted to send you something, but knowing him I thought he might have been inviting you to the prom.;)

Goody - you know yer the only one fer me ..........

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So-You have gone from CRS, to CRAFT then.........:P

Welcome to the club. :D

OLG

I verified with Henry that the rear sight dovetail is the standard 3/8" standard so I am going to look into a ladder sight.

Henry Repeating Arms - Rice Lake, WI?

Hello!

Did Henry move from New York state? If they did, my BAD for not keeping up with firearm manufacturers current manufacturing locations. Or is that a different company with a similar name?.

Archived