SASS Wire Forum

What is the matter with "Honey".

Red Cent

I was born too long ago. These people have never been in any diner in WV. Or Tennessee. Or North Carolina. 

Have they ever came across the idea that the female may address the male as Honey. Just wait.......the next time someone who calls me Honey...........

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/western-kentucky-coach-called-sideline-reporter-‘honey’-during-an-interview/ar-BBK3OqJ?ocid=spartandhp

Well Bless Their Hearts.

"This is simple: Treat a reporter - female or male - with the same respect. Would Stansbury have called a male reporter "honey" if he'd been asked the same question? I'd guess no. Was it necessary to use that word in that way, even though he was exasperated at the question? Definitely not."

No, but he might call him "Bud," "Buddy," "Bub," "Jack," "Clyde," "Son," or the like.

Well....in San Francisco he might.....

When I played in a band a long time ago, my wife (now an ex-wife) would sometimes come out with me. The waitresses would almost always call me "honey". That created stern looks from the wife, I said "Relax will ya, she calls everyone honey" It was okay 30 years ago when people weren't so darn offended by everything!:o I see nothing wrong with what he said or the way he said it!

Good thing Ol' Jimmy is building houses now. Just think if he was still Prez. He used to call women reporters "Dahlin' ".

"Mr. President, what are you going to do about the Iranian hostages?"

"Well, Dahlin', I gots me a plan."

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

When I played in a band a long time ago, my wife (now an ex-wife) would sometimes come out with me. The waitresses would almost always call me "honey". That created stern looks from the wife, I said "Relax will ya, she calls everyone honey" It was okay 30 years ago when people weren't so darn offended by everything!:o I see nothing wrong with what he said or the way he said it!

I feel the same way Rye. Here in the south it’s just a term of endearment, or greeting.  My wife and I listened to the remarks and found nothing wrong, other than she is getting sick of people using terms from a culture they don’t understand in order to be offended. If I had been offended by that, I would not have managed to get along in the various other countries I have lived in. If this continues we will all have to speak from a robotic script and have our words approved first. Speech controlled. 

No big deal. A woman has always been able to call a man "honey" if she wants to. He's not going to object. A cafe' waitress of the old-fashioned type is practically supposed to!

A man, if sensible, has always had to be more sparing with the term. I don't think that's anything much new under the sun. (I'm 70). There's lots of things like that and always have been.

As an aside, we don't need giant red letters to get a point across.

I was at lunch when I got a phone call.  My employee who answered the phone said she thought it was my mama.  Why?  The caller called her "hon."  I concurred -- that was my mama.

My ex-wife used to get all bristly when someone called her honey or worse yet, ‘darlin’. I tried to explain to her that these were terms of endearment, not condescending insults.

She never could quite get over herself....^_^

16 minutes ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

My ex-wife used to get all bristly when someone called her honey or worse yet, ‘darlin’. I tried to explain to her that these were terms of endearment, not condescending insults.

She never could quite get over herself....^_^

Were we married to the same woman???:lol:

Being older than dirt, and being from Texas, I call both men and women "darling, honey, sweetheart" as the need arises.  We Texas women also hug guys instead of shaking hands.  If we are close friends, we even kiss on the cheek while hugging each other.

If you've ever been to a Cuban restaurant in Miami you have been on the receiving of real sweetness from the waitresses.  The food fills you up to the gills and then the waitresses sugar coat you with "honey", "sugar", 'darling", (in Spanish, of course).  You leave sated with the taste of flan (egg custard) and Cuban espresso swirling in your mouth.

And bear in mind, some of these girls are real knockouts. 

Archived