SASS Wire Forum

Good Mail-Order Ammo Seller?

I haven't bought mail order/internet ammo since 2011 when Ammodirect/Kinematics Research had its explosion and shut down. They talked about reopening, but as far as I can tell never did. I was happy with the quality and very happy with the price and service.

I recently retired and am back to shooting more. I need to look into sources of ammunition that are less expensive than local retail! Do any pards have suggestions as to who might fit the bill?

Ten-X is very good. I used them for years for different calibers. They will reload your brass if you send it to them.

I buy bullets from Missouri Bullet Company and reload. If you want already made cartridges, Ammo.com and Midway USA are good sources.

I have had good luck with Choice Ammo cowboy loads.

Another vote for Georgia Arms for cowboy ammo.

Also try Lucky Gunner for ammo bulk in other calibers if you are looking for non cowboy ammo.

Red, you really ought to look into reloading.   I started with a single stage press, mounted to a small square of wood, that I clamped to the pull-out leaf of my desk.  this way I could could store it away when not in use.  I bought small quantities of primers, just 100 at a time.  And only the minimal quantity of bullets and just one bottle of powder.  So, even in the smallest of places, and a small budget, it's doable.  Everything fits in a drawer afterward. 

However, that still doesn't fit you, I'd recommend Bullets by Scarlett or   Georgia Arms   Scarlett uses match grade components.  You also might want to contact Cliff Hanger, here on the Wire.  He was a commercial ammo maker.  I don't know if he's still in the business.  Last time I bought Ten-X Ammo was back in 2002 at EoT.  They went bang every time.  Ten-X was a good guy (R.I.P.)  Please, resist the urge to buy "cheap" ammo.  Cheap is just that.   I hate hearing "click" when I'm expecting "bang".  

Powder River Cartridge Company is great to deal with.  They just moved so availability of your caliber may be an issue.

I purchased about 1000 rounds each in the calibers I use from them and then started to reload the brass (Starline).

Reloading will save you quite a bit.  Good luck.

I have ordered cartridges from: Buffalo Arms, before. 

I ordered some .38 Long Colt from them, loaded with black-powder, for an 1851 open-top.  They have a wide variety of ammunition to choose from, and some are loaded with smokeless cowboy loads, and you can get some loaded with black powder as well. 

I am fixing to order some .50-90 black-powder "cat-ridges"  from them, for my 1874 Shiloh Sharps. 

They sell brass too, in case you want to hand-load. 

Check out their website, and drool over all the toys they have for sale, for us cowboy types. 

My two bits.

W.K.

Archived