SASS Wire Forum

thunderbolt question

Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804

I was just curious about the pump guns.  I know they apparently don't seem to feed well with 38's, 357's, and 45's. So I was just wondering if any one ever tried to use one in 25-20, and what was the result? The 25-20 is allowed as a rifle round and is bottlenecked. Should feed better?   No I don't have a sass legal pump gun, nor am I looking for one. Just my curiousity fired up.

Best running of the reproductions near as I can see from reports is the Pedersoli's in 44-40.  Also a bottlenecked round.  In the caliber you mentioned it would have to be a custom gunsmith (and expensive job) or finding an original in the caliber that is still in working condition.

I just used my pedersoli this last weekend with 38s and the bullets set to 357 length (1.54") and it cranked right through them.  Find the right bullet and ammo length and they can be made to run fairly reliable.

I cant find my Brazilian dictionary & I cant remember rite now....

Is thunderbolt Brazillian for tomato stake or boat anchor ????

12 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I cant find my Brazilian dictionary & I cant remember rite now....

Is thunderbolt Brazillian for tomato stake or boat anchor ????

Funny you should ask that, Sam.  It actually means both!  Wow.  Twice the uses at half the price.  A bargain!  What's not to like?  And Pump Action in the bargain.  That's PATS and PABA to save y'all time in future posts.

There are some of us who greatly enjoy using the Colt Lighting and/or its modern replicas.

The Taurus has a reputation, deserved, for being a horrible gun.   It has been said that there are those that can make them work, but they seem to be more trouble than they are worth.  They are no longer being made.

The Pedersoli has a reputation for being great, are still being made.

Uberti still makes one as well.   To be honest, I've not heard may opinions expressed about it.

USFA made one.  USFA is gone of course.  Not many were made, I've heard they were good, but I don't know, and the likelihood of even finding one is unlikely.

Then there is the AWA.  Again, the company is gone, so they are no longer made.   But you can find them on the used market without two much trouble.  Now, others will disagree, but I will swear by the AWA and tell you that in my experience, it is a great gun.  My first one is in .45 Colt, and I used it to shoot a clean match at End of the Trail.  I am faster with it than any lever gun.  (Full disclosure, I am a slow shooter)  I will say that there is some blowback, so you've got to keep it clean if it's in this caliber.  It has a smooth action an works really well.  My experience with it has been so positive that I recently bought another one I .44-40.  It's just as nice as the .45

And there is one other manufacturer of this rifle that no longer makes them.   Colt.  Normally you will pay a pretty penny for a real Colt  But I recently found one that has been "restored."  Therefore in spite of being a very beautiful gun, its "value" has been "ruined," so I was able to get it for a reasonable price.  This one is a .32-20, which may have been a factor in price as well.   I am very eager to run it at the range quite soon.

I do not know if Colt ever made them in .25-20.   I they did, they'd be the only ones who ever did so.

Lightnings are great, if you've got a good one.  Once you master them, you run the risk of preferring them to a lever gun.   Good luck and happy shooting

Jimmy, all the replica Lightnings are not produced in 25-20

The original Colt Lightning was never chambered for the 25-20

Have another caliber in mind?

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Like they say, if you want it bad enough and have enough money...:)

...or if you are talented enough.  One guy (Roy B. ?) put a 38-40 barrel on a Taurus, I think.  I'll bet (but not money ;) ) that an original 32-20 could be sleeved to 25-20 and tweaked to work.

Or as Kirk would say: But Why?  32-20 would feed great anyway if the Colt was in good shape.

20 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

....Then there is the AWA.  Again, the company is gone, so they are no longer made.   But you can find them on the used market without two much trouble.  Now, others will disagree, but I will swear by the AWA and tell you that in my experience, it is a great gun.....  Good luck and happy shooting

There were two AWA companies. The first was .. mmm.. OK on quality, so I hear, but they went under.  An employer bought the company and restarted things, under the name AWA/USA, at better quality.

...the company is gone..

They went under again?:huh:

22 minutes ago, Red Hooker said:

There were two AWA companies. The first was .. mmm.. OK on quality, so I hear, but they went under.  An employer bought the company and restarted things, under the name AWA/USA, at better quality.

...the company is gone..

They went under again?:huh:

Yes.  Didn't last too long.

22 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The Taurus has a reputation, deserved, for being a horrible gun.   It has been said that there are those that can make them work, but they seem to be more trouble than they are worth. 

Yep, that feller from Florida (Dan?) could make them run sideways and upside down. IIRC the reason he stop working on them was because no two were alike. He didn't know if it was  gonna take a couple of hours or a couple days. You could wind up with more in it to fix it than you payed for it. :wacko:

6 minutes ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Yep, that feller from Florida (Dan?) could make them run sideways and upside down. IIRC the reason he stop working on them was because no two were alike. He didn't know if it was  gonna take a couple of hours or a couple days. You could wind up with more in it to fix it than you payed for it. :wacko:

YEP they did work and I think I was one of the last he took in to fix. 

I have an AWA Lightning in 44-40.  While AWA-USA is no longer making new ones they are still available to repair/tune them.  They worked on mine last year.  AWAGUNS.COM

On 3/5/2018 at 10:44 PM, John Boy said:

I was just doing some wondering. I have a Remington model 25 in 25-20 that was my gradfathers. I just ordered some dies so I could reload for it. That made me think- How would it(25-20) work in a lightning/thunderbolt? Not that I want one, but was just curious about it. 

i have a friend with a couple of these he has never gotten to run constantly , when they do he does real well , when they dont its a bad day at black rock , he has played with everything , he loves pump guns , fall back is an 1860 - it gets used enough that he has the 'hop' down for that follower

As I recall the P-47 Thunderbolt had eight Browning .50 caliber machine guns.

The guy in Florida who worked on the Taurus Thunderbolts was Deadeye Dallas.

It has been brought to my attention that there are negative comments about the the AWA companies on the internet so anyone who is considering contacting these folks should do their own information search.  Again my first hand experience with AWAguns.com was good.

Typically, on the Lightning rifles from any of the makers, the so called "feeding problem" occurs when shooters want to use .38Spec rounds in a .357 rifle. Yes, it can chamber and fire the .38Spec but because of the designed of the angled lifter and the two side guides, the .357 models require a bullet close to the intended .357 length - 1.60".  But most .357 and .45LC versions will run very well when properly set up.

RR

Archived