SASS Wire Forum

Remington Gold Nitro 12 ga hulls

Oklahoma Dee

Does anyone have some experience with reloading these for cowboy action shooting?  I currently shoot a SxS and would like to know if they reload and shuck as well as the Remington STS green 12GA hulls.

Thank you for any negative of positive experiences.

OkD

1 minute ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Yep, I use them for my Pale Rider loads, the gold and the Nitro remind me they are packed full.

Agreed I’m pretty sure they are the same except color. I have some mixed in with my other STS hulls and can’t tell any difference. 

Randy

Same thing best I can tell. I load the green ones for my son and the gold for myself. We both shoot BP and I do it so it's really simple to tell his lighter loads from mine.

They are all I use (other than all brass) for BP, and get 5 or more reloadings.  Even when the sides get rough patches from the heat they still shuck fine.  I keep reloading them until the crimp splits too much.

Howdee  Dee,

I reload them exactly like Remington STS.

I far as I know, it is the same hull only colored gold.

Mo

Very nice Warden Calloway & thanks. Use nothing but AA hulls in SxS & 97. Never problems.

Jackrabbit Joe

2 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Does anyone have some experience with reloading these for cowboy action shooting?  I currently shoot a SxS and would like to know if they reload and shuck as well as the Remington STS green 12GA hulls.

OkD

They be the same.... only better! :lol:

I have it in my mind that the gold feel slicker, but like I said its all in MY mind ! :blush:

They are my re-load hulls of choice.  I ran an experiment to see how many times I could reload them with black powder. Each time I reloaded a hull I put a sharpie line across the base of the hull, keeping in mind that they were purchased as "once fired".  When I came up on a hull with 8 marks on it I gave up.  Needless to say they will reload with black many times.

I think that they process through the press easier and neater than the greens.

5 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

OkD

They are my hull of choice. Some 8 years ago I bought several thousand mixed green and golds. Both shuck nicely out of my SKB's (fall out actually) but I typically get 4 or 5 reloads out of the greens (rarely 6) before they "frost" near the crimp folds and they become harder and more brittle, sometimes they come undone, spilling out the shot. The golds give me at least 6 reloads and my practice rounds are at 8 or 9 reloads, then they get that brittle frost on the sides and don't want to shuck as well.

They may very well be exactly the same formula in different colors but the greens in my experience do not last nearly as long.

Of course my OCD says when they start to split at or near the folds I toss them, while others may consider that to still be acceptable.

I have not used factory shells in more than 8 years since I had some issues with the Winchester AA quality control (feather lites, new shells with splits down the sides, primers that were in backwards or just fell out, crimps that looked like pinwheels they were so swirled etc.

Regards and all the best

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I'll pile on as well. Been using them along with greens for quite a while.  Zero difference.............. unless you're wearing a shirt that looks better with one color or the other... :lol:

Hey, Dee! I('d be embarrassed to say how many times I have reloaded some, & they still hold up like brass. They shuck great & hold their shape. I never discard them until they show a lot of scrub mark down the sides, & I really think they could be reloaded a few times after that. It's my hull of choice. I'm partial to the gold over the green, for no particular reason.

Thank you all for your input!  Seems there is gold in my future!  :D

Archived