SASS Wire Forum

First match of the season and what to shoot?

Warden Callaway

Tomorrow will be the first near match of the season.  I should be prepared and I'm ready - except deciding on the guns to take. 

I have my new favorites that I shot with most of last season.  I have a complete set that were my favorites before that that I have a lot of ammo loaded for. 

Then I have a Remington 1882 10 gauge hammer gun I've not shot at a match.  If I decide to take that then I may as well take the old Winchester 1872 in 38WCF. 

I've toyed with taking 6 shotguns and shooting a different one each stage but that's a lot of guns to clean.

Want to trade? My problem isn't what guns to shoot. It's will I be able to shoot this year. I've had a problem with arthritis developing in both thumbs over the past two seasons and how my right wrist hurts like hell and my hand is swollen.:angry: See the doctor on Monday.

1 minute ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Want to trade? My problem isn't what guns to shoot. It's will I be able to shoot this year. I've had a problem with arthritis developing in both thumbs over the past two seasons and how my right wrist hurts like hell and my hand is swollen.:angry: See the doctor on Monday.

No, you win.  While I'm impaired in most every way,  I can still "get-r-done",  just takes me longer and a day after to recuperate. 

Just a few years ago, I had to stretch to come up with enough odds and ends to shoot my first match. 

We made the rounds of two "toy stores" and a gun show today.  There were several things that we really wanted but left without them. 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've toyed with taking 6 shotguns and shooting a different one each stage but that's a lot of guns to clean.

August 4, 2013, I took 24 different guns to a Sun River Rangers match and shot not only different guns every stage, but different dedicated cartridges/gauges, meaning I didn't shoot .38's in .357's or .44 specials in .44 magnums, etc. With the consent of the posse and MD, I used .410 and 28g to get six different gauges. :)

Dilemma delayed.  

Sawmill Mary's on the recovery end of the flu and not any to spunky.  But she thought she'd be up for the ride, visiting and keeping score.  I got up early, dressed out, got a pot of coffee going, pulled my Cattleman 45s, my Marlin 1894 45 Colt converted to run C45S and my CZ-USA Hammer Coach Gun and cased them up.  Rounded up C45S ammo. There was a lot of coughing coming from the bedroom.  When she got up for coffee,  I decided not to expose her to the match so we canceled going to the match.  Now I got plenty of time to put stuff back up. 

Archived