SASS Wire Forum

Huckabee criticised for being Pro NRA by.....

Red Cent

".........................the Country Music Association Foundation after his election( to the board) was swiftly criticized in the music community."

"Within 24 hours of the announcement of his election, a prominent artist manager sent a letter to the foundation calling Huckabee's election "grossly offensive" due to his political opinions and associations with the National Rifle Association.

Jason Owen, who leads Sandbox Management representing artists like Little Big Town, Faith Hill and Kacey Musgraves, said in the letter that his clients would no longer support the foundation."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/mike-huckabee-leaves-country-music-board-after-criticism/ar-BBJLpbx?ocid=spartanntp

I'm proud to be a blues and rock'n'roll singer!!  Country music has gone to hell in a hand basket!!!

Another entertainment group out of touch with the fan base.

24 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Another entertainment group out of touch with the fan base.

Both the NFL and country music have untold millions of fans who are pro-gun and pro-NRA. If these people can keep trying to paint us as villains then I have to say as a group we must not be angry enough.

I used to listen to country almost exclusively in the 80's and 90's. Then they started moving more towards pop and I stopped listening to it. Last year when they started their political rants I lost all respect for a lot of the artists I thought had conservative Christian values. They are doing what Dick's Sporting Goods anf others are doing, jumping on the band wagon dejour.

George and Alan said it best: "Murder was Committed on Music Row".   "Modern Country Music" is a form of rock and roll and not a very good form.  I only listen to classic country by the old folks, although Texas has some pretty good contemporary country artists: Amber Digby, Jake Hooker, Bobby Flores, Justin Trevino.

PF

24 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

George and Alan said it best: "Murder was Committed on Music Row".   "Modern Country Music" is a form of rock and roll and not a very good form.  I only listen to classic country by the old folks, although Texas has some pretty good contemporary country artists: Amber Digby, Jake Hooker, Bobby Flores, Justin Trevino.

PF

Modern country is NOT any form or shape of rock ‘n’ roll. Rock is not conservative, but it ain’t as phony as these twinkie country posers!!

I’ve learned to separate music from politics.  It’s a shame other, bigger artists can’t do the same!!

39 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Modern country is NOT any form or shape of rock ‘n’ roll. Rock is not conservative, but it ain’t as phony as these twinkie country posers!!

I’ve learned to separate music from politics.  It’s a shame other, bigger artists can’t do the same!!

Glad I wasn't drinking anything.

I'm not what I would call an avid country fan by any stretch. I grew up with a dad who loved country and bluegrass, and when we went camping in Kentucky, we would always have a radio tuned in as much as possible to the Grand Ol Opry. I can listen to old country without problem, from George Jones and Johnny Cash all the way up to the era of Randy Travis and Alan Jackson, and even Garth Brooks. This current country-pop, though, leaves me searching for another station.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Sorry my mistake!!! Ignore please!!

It was going down hill several years ago. It ceased being Country when supposed country singers started incorporating rap into their songs.

I listen to classic country or classic rock or talk radio now.

These days it seems anyone can grow a goatee, put on a cowboy hat, perfect their southern drawl and become a country music singer. Well at least the guys can. The girls might have trouble with the goatee bit. :huh:

So-called "country" music has been trying to enter the mainstream for many decades, and now they've got liberal-minded managers running the bands. It's been this way since at least when the Dixie Chicks opened up on Bush Jr. spewing a bunch of liberal trash.

13 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I beg to differ the new "modern country " is more like rock n roll than true country! That's why true country fans don't like it! It's "watered down" rock n roll to me!;)

My old Glen Campbell, David Allen Coe, Hank Williams Jr., Charlie Daniels, and Chris LeDeux music gets a lot of play time.

Throw in some Dr. Hook and it's a good day.

;)

57 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I beg to differ the new "modern country " is more like rock n roll than true country! That's why true country fans don't like it! It's "watered down" rock n roll to me!;)

I think that is part of what he meant by "phony." Some guy puts on a bad cowboy hat, sings pop lyrics with a country drawl over a guitar playing some pop-riff and drums playing a back-beat and call it "country."

Personally, I would call it more pop than rock. Rock should at least have some sort of an edge to it, whether it is the sound, the rhythm, or the lyrics. Not just three minutes of  " verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, rinse, repeat."

Yeah, there's pretty much a full blown out culture war being engaged.  Not a big fan of Huckabee personally, but he should held up three fingers on both hands, and told Jason Owen to read between the lines.

Not to derail this thread, but this is good article that can explain what is happening with this renewed culture war.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/opinion/progressives-win-culture-war.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fopinion-columnists

Helps explain people like Jason Owen and what he's doing.

Maybe Fredericka Wilson can put on one of her many HATS & come out with her own alblum & make a big country hit.

Largo

46 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I think that is part of what he meant by "phony." Some guy puts on a bad cowboy hat, sings pop lyrics with a country drawl over a guitar playing some pop-riff and drums playing a back-beat and call it "country."

Personally, I would call it more pop than rock. Rock should at least have some sort of an edge to it, whether it is the sound, the rhythm, or the lyrics. Not just three minutes of  " verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, rinse, repeat."

Well as Billy Joel once said, "It's all rock n roll to me! Trying to define what is rock n roll is a losing battle! It all depends on YOUR interpretation of what rock n roll is. Everyone's is different. Look at the diversity of the artists in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame!

41 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well as Billy Joel once said, "It's all rock n roll to me! Trying to define what is rock n roll is a losing battle! It all depends on YOUR interpretation of what rock n roll is. Everyone's is different. Look at the diversity of the artists in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame!

A valid point. I will defer to the great Billy Joel!

39 minutes ago, DocWard said:

A valid point. I will defer to the great Billy Joel!

;) Good musician and songwriter!!

If I have an issue with what xyz says, or does, or supports, it is my choice as to whether or not I will continue to do business with/associate with them. NO ONE ELSE'S!!  You want to turn me off on supporting such and such a cause, the fastest way is to tell me I can or cannot do business with them. Or tell me I'm wrong/stupid/racist whatever if I do or do not do as you demand.  This idea that seems to be so popular these days that if someone doesn't like something then no one should like it just makes me want to slap them until they stop talking. Guess that makes me a cranky old fart.

I listen to XM radio in my truck. It’s usually always tuned to ‘Willie’s Roadhouse’ but some good songs can still be found on Prime County.

One time after a  recent CMA awards show, one of the jocks on Willie’s Roadhouse by the name of Dallas Wayne inquired of the audience if anyone watched the CMA show the previous evening. His words were to the effect of, “ It’s. good music, performed by very good artists. But it ain’t country!”.

I think that speaks volumes.

Give me Hank, Johnny and Merle any day!!

Well, I won't, haven't and have no intention of buying anything by the artists listed.  What needs to be done, is the same thing they did to the President.  Boycott their concerts, disrupt their concerts, fling horse dung at them, and cause them to lose money.  Money is the only thing that they understand.  George Jones was spot on when he sang, "Who's Gonna Fill Their Songs".  Currently not none of them sing Country Western music, it is all "for consumption" garage.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I wonder what percentage of the country western singers today own guns and why they don't raise hell about this kind if crap?

The American Rifleman, the NRA magazine, has a country artist who's pro-gun, hunters etc. featured every month

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The American Rifleman, the NRA magazine, has a country artist who's pro-gun, hunters etc. featured every month

One a month!  I would hope that that would go on forever, but at ten a year that doesn't give much of a figure to encourage me.

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

One a month!  I would hope that that would go on forever, but at ten a year that doesn't give much of a figure to encourage me.

It beats the hollywood actors crowd!

Archived