SASS Wire Forum

PSA (public safety announcement)

OK Folks, just wanted to remind you, Spring is coming on strong and the snakes are beginning to come out to eat and mate. Be mindful, watch your step and flip over anything they might be hiding under with caution. In the mean time, any suggestion on how to keep rat snakes out of the chicken coop?

egg thief.jpg

Although it could be one of those country remedies. As a kid doing a lot of camping on the Appalachian trail, we would put a ring of hemp rope around the camp. It was told that snakes didnt like to cross it. Never saw one do it. When I was in the pool business, people with problems with worms filling the pool off season, we would put a hemp rope under the cover on the edge of the pool. Problem solved. Might be worth looking into.

just looked it up, evidently rat snakes won’t cross a horse hair rope. Hmmm!

I grew up in farm country and I remember that snakes in the chicken coop always being a problem.

My Dad was a Contractor and we did lots of work on farms. I remember trying to “snake proof” chicken coops by sealing all the ways in a snake might get in but it really didn’t keep them all out. 

One farmer expanded his his pig pens to 3 sides of the chicken coop and that left the coop with one side open to a little yard for the chickens to roam. Pigs will kill snakes when they see them. Trouble is, they don’t always see them.

One friend of ours separated the chicken feed storage, which attracted rodents, from the coop entirely. This reduced the snakes in the coop somewhat.

2 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Although it could be one of those country remedies. As a kid doing a lot of camping on the Appalachian trail, we would put a ring of hemp rope around the camp. It was told that snakes didnt like to cross it. Never saw one do it. When I was in the pool business, people with problems with worms filling the pool off season, we would put a hemp rope under the cover on the edge of the pool. Problem solved. Might be worth looking into.

Got news for ya Pard. That don’t work for snakes. It just makes people feel better about sleeping on the ground.

Twice (that I know of) I have awakened in the desert to find evidence a big snake was cuddling next to my sleeping bag. For the second of those encounters I had tried the old hemp rope trick then I bought a cot.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Shotgun

True that!

This was from last summer. Shot guns work gooder than machetes.

snake.jpg

Guest Grass Range #51406

Horsehair rope like my McCarty is supposed to be a barrier for rattlers. Tried it and watched as they crawled over it without slowing down

1 hour ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Wife killed a small water moccasin last week in back yard. MT

Okay, I can handle most any snake and will be tolerant of them to a point, but I hate, despise, abhor, etc...Cottonmouths. I will go to war killing these creatures. Scorched earth policy in full effect with these things. If I see one I will do whatever I have to to kill it...

I am glad we do not have them where I live now.

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay, I can handle most any snake and will be tolerant of them to a point, but I hate, despise, abhor, etc...Cottonmouths. I will go to war killing these creatures. Scorched earth policy in full effect with these things. If I see one I will do whatever I have to to kill it...

I am glad we do not have them where I live now.

They left town when they heard you were moving in.

4 hours ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

True that!

This was from last summer. Shot guns work gooder than machetes.

snake.jpg

I see you like them as much as I do.

A friend of mine puts golf balls just inside the fencing.  Snakes eat them thinking they're eggs and die.  sometimes they get caught on the way back out because the golf ball doesn't collapse and he'll make rounds dispatching them with a 22. 

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Got news for ya Pard. That don’t work for snakes. It just makes people feel better about sleeping on the ground.

Twice (that I know of) I have awakened in the desert to find evidence a big snake was cuddling next to my sleeping bag. For the second of those encounters I had tried the old hemp rope trick then I bought a cot.

That a new one on me......... I didn't know a snake wouldn't crawl in a cot..... :o

But what if its a Cottonmouth?

............Widder

7 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

That a new one on me......... I didn't know a snake wouldn't crawl in a cot..... :o

But what if its a Cottonmouth?

............Widder

:D The cot was to make ME feel better about not being right on the ground...and if any snakes slept next to me there was no evidence of it so...:)

I would not sleep on the ground next to a waterway or body of water in Cottonmouth country. No Sirree...

Archived