SASS Wire Forum

Practiscore

Russ T. Sites

Thanks for posting the links.  I've read all the documents and watched the videos.  This looks like a pretty robust program designed with IDPA and IPSC in mind.  The videos I've watched were quite detailed and informative, but here's my challenge.

Cowboy shooting is the only competitive shooting I've ever done.  I know nothing, I mean nothing about IDPA and IPSC, so I don't know how their matches are run, how they score them, and I know none of their terminology.

I'm sure it's possible to use this program to score a Cowboy match, but how do you set it up?  I mean, I kind of figured out that "squadding" shooters is like putting them on a posse.  But "Comstock", "Virginia", "No Shoots", "Strings", "Paper Targets" ?????  I don't know how to translate this into Cowboy Talk, or I don't know what to select to set up Cowboy Stages.  It's all Greek to me.

Can somebody translate?  I really don't want to learn everything about IPSC and IDPA just to be able to use this program.

We currently use ACES, and I've gotten proficient at that.  I figure someday we'll have to switch to Practiscore, so I'd like to start learning about it and maybe make the switch sooner rather than later.

I didn't find any videos on YouTube that show how to use this for SASS matches.

Thanks in advance for your help.

"Comstock"= shoot as many rounds as you wish at the targets

"Virginia (Count) = specific number of rounds per stage; shot more and get penalized

"No Shoots" = targets that should not be shot and if they are will count against your score.

"Strings" = of fire what we would call a stage

Paper Targets = USPSA has both paper targets and KDs.  you have to put at least 2 shots on each paper target or you get scored a miss.  KDs are with the pistol/revolver and must go down to be counted as a hit

cheyenne

USPSA L1314

46 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

"Comstock"= shoot as many rounds as you wish at the targets

"Virginia (Count) = specific number of rounds per stage; shot more and get penalized

"No Shoots" = targets that should not be shot and if they are will count against your score.

"Strings" = of fire what we would call a stage

Paper Targets = USPSA has both paper targets and KDs.  you have to put at least 2 shots on each paper target or you get scored a miss.  KDs are with the pistol/revolver and must go down to be counted as a hit

cheyenne

USPSA L1314

Thanks for the lesson!  It's hard trying to figure out what things in the program are applicable for Cowboy Shooting.  If anyone out there wanted to put together a document, or a video lesson, on how to set up a Cowboy match in Practiscore, it would be much appreciated.  I'm sure, moving forward, everyone will be migrating to Practiscore before too long.

Last year I posted a topic regarding ACES vs PRACTISCORE that I developed while trying to get the IOS developer of PRACTISCORE to make some changes that would help the SASS folks.  To my knowledge, there has been only one change so far that has been implemented, and that is to deal with Aliases.  The developer committed to make a few more changes, and we may see those in future updates.

I will try to go back to my document, update it, and post it on this thread.  The document will deal with running a small, monthly match with PRACTISCORE by folks that are familiar with running the match with ACES.  At this point, PRACTISCORE for SASS is not as easy as ACES, but will do the job.

Here is the document I promised.  Hope this helps

Rum Crook

PRACTISCORE(SASS TYPE) FOR ACES USERS

IMPORTANT NOTE:  This document describes the IOS APP.  The Android APP has a different developer, and may not be the same.  I have not used the Android APP.

First, let me describe how we score a match with ACES.  We run a monthly match with 10 to 40 shooters usually, and do not use any other program such as SASS scoring or CD Tom’s program.

I create the ACES match each month on IPAD minis by naming the match and selecting the option where SDQs and DNFs carry a penalty value of (# stage targets X 5 seconds) + 30 seconds.  I then create the stages and enter the # of targets for each stage and if there is a bonus on that stage and the value.  At that point I’m ready to begin adding shooters and verifying the category that they will shoot that day.

PractiScore (PS) does not have a Stage Disqualification (SDQ) function.  The Did-Not-Finish (DNF) function works differently than ACES.  There is no programmed support in PS for the (#stage targets X 5 seconds) + 30 seconds penalty for SDQ and DNF.  The DQ function works as the Match Disqualification (MDQ) in ACES.

We are still using ACES and are likely to continue to do so until PS adds more SASS function or until we are no longer able to run the ACES APP.  Therefore, this information was developed by running very small test matches, so you could encounter a problem that was not apparent in the test.

I will now describe how I would set up a PS (SASS TYPE) match on an Ipad or Iphone.

First, I would create a Match Template (PS does not save added Divisions (ACES Categories) or added Penalties or Bonuses).

In PS, On the Matches screen, select New Match, and then on the Match Types screen, scrolI down and select SASS as the TYPE.

In the Name field, I key in the name” Match Template”. Touch the left arrow twice to return to the screen to select Build Stages.

There are 4 penalties already listed, Misses, Procedural, Minor Safety, and Spirit of the Game.  Since PS does not have a SDQ, I added a new penalty named SDQ/DNF, and gave it a penalty value of 120.00 seconds as the base, and since a time must be entered on the scoring screen, the scorer can enter 30.00 in the time field which will give a penalty of 150 seconds and in this example would equate to 24 targets (5 X 24) + 30 = 150.  “SDQ” does not show up on reports, nor does it create a DQ(MDQ) after 2 SDQ penalties.  The scorer will have to be aware of a shooter having a SDQ, and DQ him on a second SDQ.

Create the SDQ/DNF penalty by touching Penalties on the Build Stages Screen, then select Add Penalty, then change the PENALTY name to SDQ/DNF, touch the VALUE and change to 120.00, touch the Qty and change to One and then touch the left arrow at top of screen to go back to the Build Stages screen.

PS has a DQ and a DNF on the scoring screen.  The DQ functions as a MDQ.  The DNF places a “DNF” across the buckets for that stage, and 1 DNF causes the total elapsed time for the match to be blank.  We interpret the DNF as a stage that was not attempted due to not arriving on time, leaving early or being called away for a period of time.   If a shooter begins a stage and fails to complete the stage, we use his time, misses, penalties earned + 5 seconds per target that he didn’t engage; thus, no DNF.  If a shooter earns a DNF, I suggest that you use the new SDQ/DNF penalty with the 120 seconds base, and enter the time as 30.01 seconds giving a 150.01 seconds penalty using the previous example with 24 targets on the stage.  The .01 addition will differentiate the DNF from the SDQ, since “DNF” or “SDQ” would not show on reports.  Two DNFs would result in the shooter being ineligible for an award.  ACES gives a MDQ for two DNFs, which is not correct.  You would like to see a shooter’s times for stages that he attempted, he is just not eligible for an award.

It would work best if a card was prepared for each scorer that listed the SDQ and DNF penalties for each stage for this match.  Example: SDQ/MDQ STAGE 1  150.00/150.01 for 24 targers , STAGE 2  160.00/160.01 for 26 targets.  Just remember that the scorer will have to track whether a shooter has earned 2 SDQs (Give DQ) or 2 DNFs (No Award) for the match.  

Once I have added the additional penalty for a SDQ/DNF, I can add a bonus or bonuses if stages have a bonus.  If you add a bonus in PS, it appears on the scoring screen for all stages.  You would need to score it only on the stage that had the bonus target.  Personally, I recommend not putting any bonuses in the Match Template, as you can add them later.

I can now build stages. We consistently shoot 5 stages, so I do include them in the Match Template.  There is no place to enter number of targets on a stage.

After building stages, I have finished my Match Template.  I can now clone the Match Template as my current match.  Go to the screen that has Enter Scores on top and Matches on the bottom.  Notice the “Clone” on the right side of the Matches line.  Select the Clone function, and select Clone Stages and Clone Penalties/Bonuses.  It will also clone any Divisions (Double Duelist, Range Boss, etc) that you have added to the Divisions that came with PS as well as the shooter file that contains shooters from previous matches.

Now look for your cloned match by looking at the time the match was cloned.  Touch the match once or twice to select it and get to the match screen where the first field is Name, the second field is Club Name.  Scroll down to a field called Mode.  Notice that it is now most likely in Scoring Mode instead of Creation mode.  We need to get it back to Creation Mode and we do that by holding you finger on Scoring until you get message “Reset to Creation Mode  Warning, this will delete all scores for this match.  Are you sure you want to proceed”. Select Yes.  You are now back in Creation Mode and can create bonuses, etc.

Change the Name of the match.  I add the date of the match in the match name.  Touch the left arrow at the top left of screen twice to return to the match menu to add shooters or make changes.

When you add shooters starting from the bottom right of screen, you must put in First Name, Last Name, Alias, Division (ACES category), and you should put in SASS number for Member #.

SASS number will differentiate between shooters with same first and last names.  Squad (ACES posse #) should be entered as soon as you determine it).  Note that when you key in a shooter’s alias, it will pop up one or more names if they are in the shooter file saved on the Ipad.  Only the names that come up will be actual names, not the Aliases.  A little more difficult as we may not know shooter’s actual names, so we may have to ask them their actual name to select the correct one.

Scoring is very similar to ACES, except for the added penalty SDQ/DNF.  Syncing is also very similar.  There is no Clean Shooter report, it will have to be done manually by scanning the reports.  Reports are similar but all penalties are grouped together.

Well, that’s about all that I can think of at this moment.  Please try this out if it will help, and let me know if you found any problems with it.  I didn’t do extensive testing, just enough to find out the major differences between ACES and PS.

Hopefully, the developer is working on functions that he indicated that he would add in the future.

Rum Crook

Well....

Im lost looking at results of a match shot today and scored with PS. It looks like it will work great for USPSA IDPA<IPSIC style matches. May be a little overcomplicated for CAS, no offense intended. You obviously have a great deal of work in this and are justifyably proud.

Imis

Imis,

I really don't have any feelings of ownership to PS and I don't recommend going to it unless you have to.  When IOS 11 came out, some folks were worried because they had loaded the new operating system and all of a sudden ACES didn't work.  I decided to look at PS to see how it worked, and what was missing.  Because I had corresponded with the ACES/PS IOS developer when IOS 8 came out and our Ipads were mistakenly upgraded to it, and then the ACES sync function was not working on our router, I decided to send some suggested updates to him for PS due to the IOS 11 problem.  He agreed to some, and disagreed with others, for instance, he doesn't like for a program to automatically DQ a shooter.  Other SASS people that work with large matches have been talking to the developer to get changes to the Web portion of PS relating to interfacing with the PS APP for SASS use.  As you have seen, PS has a lot of stuff that SASS doesn't need or use.  They designed the programs for the larger shooting sports, and are trying to accommodate SASS and others.

But, it was clearly stated that ACES will not be updated in the future.  ACES and PS are free, and they make their money on the Ads placed on their PS website, so they have absolutely no incentive to send anyone to the ACES website or to any other program.

Stay with ACES if you can, and if not, hope that PS will get a little more user friendly.  That is what I'm doing.

I appreciate your response,

Rum 

On 3/2/2018 at 6:45 PM, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

Thanks for posting the links.  I've read all the documents and watched the videos.  This looks like a pretty robust program designed with IDPA and IPSC in mind.  The videos I've watched were quite detailed and informative, but here's my challenge.

Cowboy shooting is the only competitive shooting I've ever done.  I know nothing, I mean nothing about IDPA and IPSC, so I don't know how their matches are run, how they score them, and I know none of their terminology.

I'm sure it's possible to use this program to score a Cowboy match, but how do you set it up?  I mean, I kind of figured out that "squadding" shooters is like putting them on a posse.  But "Comstock", "Virginia", "No Shoots", "Strings", "Paper Targets" ?????  I don't know how to translate this into Cowboy Talk, or I don't know what to select to set up Cowboy Stages.  It's all Greek to me.

Can somebody translate?  I really don't want to learn everything about IPSC and IDPA just to be able to use this program.

We currently use ACES, and I've gotten proficient at that.  I figure someday we'll have to switch to Practiscore, so I'd like to start learning about it and maybe make the switch sooner rather than later.

I didn't find any videos on YouTube that show how to use this for SASS matches.

Thanks in advance for your help.

That was my thought on it also

12 hours ago, Rum Crook, SASS #55339 said:

Imis,

I really don't have any feelings of ownership to PS and I don't recommend going to it unless you have to.  When IOS 11 came out, some folks were worried because they had loaded the new operating system and all of a sudden ACES didn't work.  I decided to look at PS to see how it worked, and what was missing.  Because I had corresponded with the ACES/PS IOS developer when IOS 8 came out and our Ipads were mistakenly upgraded to it, and then the ACES sync function was not working on our router, I decided to send some suggested updates to him for PS due to the IOS 11 problem.  He agreed to some, and disagreed with others, for instance, he doesn't like for a program to automatically DQ a shooter.  Other SASS people that work with large matches have been talking to the developer to get changes to the Web portion of PS relating to interfacing with the PS APP for SASS use.  As you have seen, PS has a lot of stuff that SASS doesn't need or use.  They designed the programs for the larger shooting sports, and are trying to accommodate SASS and others.

But, it was clearly stated that ACES will not be updated in the future.  ACES and PS are free, and they make their money on the Ads placed on their PS website, so they have absolutely no incentive to send anyone to the ACES website or to any other program.

Stay with ACES if you can, and if not, hope that PS will get a little more user friendly.  That is what I'm doing.

I appreciate your response,

Rum 

Thanks for the info, we have to many different shooters keeping score. Aces is easy , practiscore is not as easy

Archived