SASS Wire Forum

Who does Nickel Plating ????

I had my USFA pistols electro nickel plated at the same time I had them engraved several years ago.

The electro plating looks really nice but is a bit flatter than electroless and not as durable.

So after many years of shooting, lowered hammers and such they are worn to bare metal in several places.

No one around here in Dallas does plating anymore.

I've heard of Robar in Phoenix and Ahlmans in Minn.

I'd like someone a bit closer to home. 

But the most important is the quality of the job and $$ too.... Any Suggestions ???

This is them when I first got em done...............

118-1872_IMG.thumb.JPG.830162888fdc83fc9b32f165741c285e.JPG

Silver Sam years ago 60's and 70's being in Police work some of us got into nickel want's and we had our revolvers then in my day's took our revolvers like Colt Diamondbacks, Python's, and S&W's to a bumper place and had them chrome the pistols just like chroming bumpers. It worked out great. I do recall one of the officers then had his done and some of the chrome came off the cylinder. Other then that it worked out very well. Like I said though that was some years ago. They sure looked pretty though.

Have fun looking.

JRJ

There are several plating shops in Nashvulle, TN.  S&H Chrome and Powder Coat comes to mind. 817 Madison Industrial Dr. Madison, TN 37115.  615 865 0100.  They've done show quality work for me for forty+ years!!

Lonnie at Run-n-Iron does nickel. Nebraska.

http://www.runniron.com/finishes/index.html

Nate Kiowa Jones has a marine hard chrome place that he's fond of for a real tough plated finish.  

https://stevesgunz.com

Cogan's gets a vote from me too.

Any replating, though, is going to partially fill that fine engraving!  I'd have to think real hard about plating over that.

Good luck, GJ

I've been looking at so many websites I have a headache...........

I was liking what I saw on the apwcogan website and was maybe leaning a little towards chrome....

but then I saw where they dropped the bright finish & only do matt or brushed anymore

Now I'm thinking maybe Fords ???? 

I Dunno...........

And watab.... yea the "experienced" look can be good,

but the maintenance that comes with all the exposed steel where the nickel is worn off is a PITA...

I would suggest Robbie Barrkman (Robar) to be among finest in  "plating"...nice guy also.  You missed golden opportunity while at Winter Range,  Sassy and I stayed with the K McMillans while in Phoenix visiting their company and Robbie's was just "down the street" (both just off N 19th Ave).

Nueces Outlaw used to go to a place in Duncanville or Desoto IIRC. Could have been the same people Gunzilla used for powder coating all his stuff. Sorry can't help further. I might suggest that if you are looking for hard chrome check some of the better car or bike customizers in the area and find out who they use.

14 hours ago, Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L said:

I hear these people are good. http://www.apwcogan.com I think Buck D Law used them.

+1 for Mr Cogan.  I had him hard-chrome a Model P Jr a couple of years ago.  Daybreaker has had several guns done by them.  They do really good work.

Holler

15 hours ago, Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L said:

I hear these people are good. http://www.apwcogan.com I think Buck D Law used them.

I’ve been using Bob at APW for years. He does all the work for colt, Kel-Tec, springfeild, desert eagle and many more. This are hand down the best in the market !! Trust me, this is who you want to use.

slick

Lonnie at Run N Iron does very good nickel. We had a Model P Jr plated to match another one and its still holding up well after a lot of years.

http://www.runniron.com/finishes/index.html

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look, at hard chrome plating. 1k times 'tuffer' than any form of nickle plating, and much less surface build up.

OLG

Hard chrome is tougher than nickel, but it doesn't look nearly as good.

3 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Hard chrome is tougher than nickel, but it doesn't look nearly as good.

Since when?........:blink:

These guys are the best, and have done several 'toys' for me.

http://originalmetaloy.com/

OLG

If you ever held in your hands, the work these folks in my link do. You would see how incorrect your statement is.

Hard chrome can be polished to the same luster as nickel.

BTW: There's more than one type of nickle plating.

OLG

Who said nickel & chrome look the same :huh:

They look entirely different.

AnyWho... I have till after Land Run to make up my mind,

but Rite Now I'm thinkin' that APW Cogan are the ones to go with........

I spoke w/ Bob Cogan on the phone earlier today and he was a wealth of information

& a Real Nice Feller too !!!!

Since these USFA's are for Shootin' & not for Show and with BP too.....

then he Highly recommends Hard Chrome w/ Brushed finish......

So I'm pretty sure thats the way I'm going.

Thanks All for the help !!!!!!!!

I'm with Slick. 

Another vote for APW.  Been in business for ever.  I've had nothing but great work from them. 

Met Bob 25 years ago at his shop when I dropped off a PPC revolver. Very knowledgeable and professional. 

LS

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

SS-The 2 can look very much alike depending on the prep.

You're making a good choice with the HC.

PLZ post up pictures of before and after.

OLG

Yep, prep & type of finish will make all the difference in the finished product....

Put a chrome & a nickel gun that were prepped & finished similarly side by side

and there is a big difference in the look.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you ever held in your hands, the work these folks in my link do. You would see how incorrect your statement is.

Hard chrome can be polished to the same luster as nickel.

BTW: There's more than one type of nickle plating.

OLG

If you say so. I have yet to see one done in hard chrome that looks even remotely like nickel 

Redwood, I think Lumpy just likes to argue...

He did'nt make over 16 thousand posts by being agreeable :D

Archived