SASS Wire Forum

Another store stops selling Assault Rifles & more

With 2 sons the thing that erks me is not selling ANY firearm to anyone under 21.  The nation is OK with sending 18 year olds into harms way without a second thought, but they should not be allowed to buy a shotgun or rifle now??  I'll quit now before the mods have to give me a talking too.

23 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Now that’s funny right there!

That would certainly fit.  Pulling them from their Field&Stream stores is another - so what.  There are LOTS of local gun stores who will be happy to see my money.

5 minutes ago, Volga Vigilante said:

With 2 sons the thing that erks me is not selling ANY firearm to anyone under 21.  The nation is OK with sending 18 year olds into harms way without a second thought, but they should not be allowed to buy a shotgun or rifle now??  I'll quit now before the mods have to give me a talking too.

Sent sent my 17 yr old as a Marine  to Iraq in Desert Storm with a full auto weapon - no problem - but he couldn't even buy the ammo because he wasn't 18.  Strange isn't it.  The politics of convenience. nuf said.

3 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Besides I'm sure criminals don't bother buying guns at gun stores.

What are you sayin'? You don't think they get 'em legally?

1 hour ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

What are you sayin'? You don't think they get 'em legally?

They must be or all the new laws won't solve anything. Geez   They seem to obey the "Gun Free Zone" thingy, just ask the Shummer and friends.

7 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

The AR in AR-15 stands for “Armalite Rifle"

Not that I would buy them from Dick's anyway, I've only built a half dozen Assault Rifle-15's myself. ;)

I'm glad my family bought my assault rifle s few generations ago.

Bubba cut it down a little and I can't mount the bayonet anymore.

1866 Original Trapdoor Conversion in .50-70 Calibre017 (1).JPG

2 hours ago, Sarge2 said:

Didn't they pull this before?

It seems to me they did. Maybe after Newtown? I think that's when Walmart did.

I looked at my Walmart this afternoon.  Sure enough!!!   There was a .223 AR clone sitting in their little revolving case!!  I just smiled and walked on!!

4 hours ago, Sarge2 said:

Didn't they pull this before?

They did right after Sandy Hook, but quietly restocked their Field & Stream locations with ARs again once the furor died down. So now they're doing it again, only this time they claim it'll be permanent.

The only thing I have ever bought at Dicks was a small safe heater and a football for my Grandson. Their prices are high and the staff at the gun counter at the 2 Dicks I went to was pretty clueless.

They don’t need any more of my money.

Never underestimate the cowardice of those who run the modern big corporations. Quite apart from guns, observe how in recent months folks have lost not just their jobs but their entire careers because the corporations drop them at any hint of allegations of 'impropriety'. With no defense or process.

All of our Constitutional rights are held as against the government, not private entities. Sounds good, but nowadays it is corporations who decide whether you can exercise any rights. No jail-- just economic ruination. Who cares if the gov't can't invade your privacy, if you have none, because corporations have taken all of it away.

Dicks is doing some serious PR pedaling since one of the guns the perp owned was purchased at Dicks. This is pure PR BS to distance themselves from events to stay in good graces with their "t-shirt millennial"  customers who represent the bulk of their business. Note, they've said nothing about dropping ammo and other guns from their inventory. My guess is the AR-15 knock-offs are a small part of their business, thus allowing them appear take the moral high ground without really losing much money.

Same goes for Wallyworld.

I have been in business on my own for 35 plus years and ran organizations prior to that.

Never once did I take a political stand in any of those businesses. 

No matter what side you are on you offend customers on the other side.

Larger businesses and corporations are run by very ignorant people. They have no concept of what their customer demographics are. 

I love to watch undercover boss, not because I like the show, but because I enjoy watching people in charge having no idea of how to do ANYTHING in their business.

Most Walmarts here have not had a gun in the store for years. Sam Walton was an avid hunter.

You cannot by ammo at the local 7-11 .

Sears doesn't carry firearms anymore. ( I loved my JC Higgins bolt action shotgun as a kid)

All corporate decisions. 

10 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

As some of you know, I've been having a discussion with some anti-gun folks over on facebook.  They are all up in arms over AR-15s  Just recently, I posted these FBI statistics (can't believe anything the NRA says ya know).  I have asked them to look and the number of rifles (all types of rifles) used to commit murder.  Seems the rifle is used less than handguns, shotguns, knives, and blunt instruments (weapon first reported when Cain slew Abel).  But, the rifle is the currently Politically Incorrect weapon.  Then again, the NRA is at fault.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2010-2014.xls

Remind them that more school age children die due to auto accidents in one year than have died in all the school shootings in the last 100 years.  If they are so concerned about doing something to save even one life, then why not lobby to raise the driving age to 21???

From the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html

Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. Fortunately, teen motor vehicle crashes are preventable, and proven strategies can improve the safety of young drivers on the road.

How big is the problem?

In 2015, 2,333 teens in the United States ages 16–19 were killed and 221,313 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes in 2014. That means that six teens ages 16–19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries.

In 2013, young people ages 15-19 represented only 7% of the U.S. population. However, they accounted for 11% ($10 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Remind them that more school age children die due to auto accidents in one year than have died in all the school shootings in the last 100 years.  If they are so concerned about doing something to save even one life, then why not lobby to raise the driving age to 21???

Because whenever you bring that up they'll immediately throw their tired old "guns are designed to kill... cars aren't" BS in your face. So apparently being killed by a drunk or inattentive driver is perfectly alright while being shot to death isn't. Got it...

I have already seen rumblings on left wing websites talking about how handguns need to be next on the list and how they need to move on this while they have the momentum.

Stores and businesses jumping on their bandwagon empowers them to “do more for change”. Of course they have no idea what change they really want because they are manipulated twits that have been “educated” by other manipulated twits.

They remind me of those sad 60’s movements that never got anywhere. But the ones from the 60’s that stayed in University hiding from the real world are one of the biggest detriments to this nation because they have created 2 generations of idiots via social change and parents let them...parents paid them by paying tuition, for crying out loud. 

I wish I had a dollar for everyone I have ever heard say “Since my son / daughter has gone off to college I have no idea who they are any more.” I rarely hear how proud they are until the graduation. I think they mistake relief for pride. Relief that they won’t have to pay for school any longer

Sorry. I am rambling. I’m tired. Nighteo!

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have already seen rumblings on left wing websites talking about how handguns need to be next on the list and how they need to move on this while they have the momentum.

The antis must really think we're stupid and that we don't remember that a for at least a quarter of a century they were trying to ban handguns in this country, only giving it a rest when they found out they could make more noise by going after so-called assault weapons instead. You can bet your britches that if/when they manage to ban evil black rifles handguns will be next on their shopping list.

Something I didn't realize at first, but when the National Firearms Act was being drawn up the early revisions had handguns added to the list of controlled items right alongside machine guns, suppressors and sawed-off shotguns. That's right, if they'd had their way all of our pistols would be NFA items requiring a $200 tax stamp to possess. They abandoned the idea when it became evident that there wasn't enough support for a handgun ban as well and concentrated on machine guns instead.

20 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

As some of you know, I've been having a discussion with some anti-gun folks over on facebook.  They are all up in arms over AR-15s  Just recently, I posted these FBI statistics (can't believe anything the NRA says ya know).  I have asked them to look and the number of rifles (all types of rifles) used to commit murder.  Seems the rifle is used less than handguns, shotguns, knives, and blunt instruments (weapon first reported when Cain slew Abel).  But, the rifle is the currently Politically Incorrect weapon.  Then again, the NRA is at fault.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2010-2014.xls

That's a bit of an eye-opener--but I doubt if anyone really wants their eyes opened these days.  Form an opinion and start a movement.  It doesn't matter whether you're right or not.

3 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

That's a bit of an eye-opener--but I doubt if anyone really wants their eyes opened these days.  Form an opinion and start a movement.  It doesn't matter whether you're right or not.

When talking on facebook or other social media with a person who's mind is already made up, I'm not trying to convince them, I'm hoping to convince the other person who is listening in on the conversation.  I'm very careful not to say anything insulting or disrespectful.  Hopefully, calm, reasoned, graciousness will be heard by that other person or persons.  Right now according to polling, 68% of those polled say the support banning AR-15s, and 48% of gun owners support banning also.  The object is not to convince those with a set mind but to win the argument at the legislative level.  Hard facts and reason will hopefully win out over emotional rhetoric.

Archived