SASS Wire Forum

fish hook on hat brim meaning

Trigger Mike

One explanation from Field and Stream mag.

Back in 1989 the late race car driver Davy Allison , who came to WV to hunt with me ,did alot of things with kids. One of the programs he did was the "Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drugs". At all of the programs he did he passed out one of the gold fishooks for the kids to wear on their cap bill. In fact his crew chief on his Bush car, Red Farmer always wore one on his uniform hat. All of the school teachers at the local schools around here that continued to do this program give the kids one of these gold fishhooks to wear on their hat bill. Everyone around our area knows what it stands for even the parents and the general public because there was publicity about it when the programs were done. You may label us hillbilly and rednecks but we know what the real meaning of the fishhook is.

23 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Good Lord.

Just sitting here with my computer on my lap I'm probably doing something "politically incorrect."  *8-} silly

For what it's worth, I've had one or two of those hooks, purely because I thought they were kinda whimsical and made me smile.  

That’s really information UB. Never knew that. I assume you are talking fish hook clips. When I was a child, oh 8 or 9 years old, so this is mid to late 60s, grandpa Bell used to take me fishing on Uncle Thornton’s farm in Tennessee. He always wore a hat, I think a fedora. It was always adorned with various hooks and flys on the band. Over the years I’ve seen lots of fisherman do the same thing. Of course we’re talking real hooks. 

I tried googling the hook hook clip and nothing came up. Maybe you should have the local government type something up as to it’s meaning and put it on their website.

Only a moron would even think that a hook on a cap brim is biased in any way...I swear, some people need a slap so hard they time travel.

The hook on the ball cap brim is older than 1989 because I remember seeing them in the 70's at tackle shops in Arkansas. I do like that someone adopted it to give kids a positive message.

I have a few of these around somewhere that I bought at Bass Pro years ago...maybe I will round them up and put them to use on various hats.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Only a moron would even think that a hook on a cap brim is biased in any way...I swear, some people need a slap so hard they time travel.

The hook on the ball cap brim is older than 1989 because I remember seeing them in the 70's at tackle shops in Arkansas. I do like that someone adopted it to give kids a positive message.

I have a few of these around somewhere that I bought at Bass Pro years ago...maybe I will round them up and put them to use on various hats.

That is the problem with symbols and flags. All it takes is for some group that is evil to adopt one or more as their calling card and suddenly everyone else has to stop using it or suffer the wrath of social justice. :(:angry:

I personally know of the whereabouts of a lot of Navajo and Hopi silver jewellery that have symbols engraved into them that resemble the swastika and the double lightning bolt of the SS. They are exquisitely done and many of the pieces tell stories of the families history. They are older than Hitler's great great great grandpa and have been passed down through their respective families longer than anyone alive can remember. Sadly now they are kept out of sight lest some ignorant fool think the family are white supremacists or Nazi lovers. At one time they tried to loan the collection to the Smithstonian's Museum of the Native American. They were turned down because of what narrow minded people might think. :(:angry:

Personally I like the idea of a  "Hooked on Fishing not Drugs" campaign. Wonder how to get that rebooted.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Personally I like the idea of a  "Hooked on Fishing not Drugs" campaign. Wonder how to get that rebooted.

Well lookie here... http://www.futurefisherman.org/f3programs/hooked-on-fishing-not-on-drugs-hofnod/

Archived