SASS Wire Forum

National champion ?

Hells Comin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well. I knew that only 1 match would be the sanctioned state, regional or whatever match in that area per year. My question really is why go to the bother of having your match sanctioned as whatever geographical area championship match, if the titles are open to anyone from anywhere?  

On 26.2.2018 at 11:30 PM, Yul Lose said:

I guess my question is if someone from the U.S. travels to the European championship and wins his/her category are they the European champion?

2017 - Big Iron Padnote - B-Western.

He is the European Champion. I think, is right so, he wins, he is the Champion.

Many Shooters in Europe starting every week in different Countries or States.

I am too. 

Its equal, when wins a Danish, Svedish, Austrian, Swiss or Dutch Cowboy the German, Czech or Slowakian Championships, he is the Champion and not the secound or third in the Ranking.

All States in Europe make it so. I´m German, i shoot in 2017 the Netherlands Championships. And yes, i´m Dutch Champion (and very proud of it)

46 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Well. I knew that only 1 match would be the sanctioned state, regional or whatever match in that area per year. My question really is why go to the bother of having your match sanctioned as whatever geographical area championship match, if the titles are open to anyone from anywhere?  

I agree with you, very well said! :) 

4 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Does this count for black powder matches as well? We have a California State Championship match and also a California State black powder championship match. As far as I know, both are SASS sanctioned.

No. Different rules for Blackpowder. State Black Powder Championships can be won by anyone. It is on the form/contract that is submitted when you request to put on the match. 

Both are SASS matches, but different rules apply for each.

BS

6 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Does this count for black powder matches as well? We have a California State Championship match and also a California State black powder championship match. As far as I know, both are SASS sanctioned.

The State Black Powder Match is NOT a Championship match.  The State Black Powder Champions are crowned at the State match only.

7 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

The State Black Powder Match is NOT a Championship match.  The State Black Powder Champions are crowned at the State match only.

Is that how it works? I didn’t know that. I was going by this. I gotta get my eyes checked or learn to read. 

7D6A1BE3-B942-4A14-93CB-EF362BE59485.jpeg

8 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Yep, learned that when Bobcat Brian was match director at the first Smokin' Irons.

There is a State Championship and a separate State Blackpowder Championship.  Black powder categories are shot in each.  So, you could have two different state champions for the same category. One from the State Championship and the other from the Black Powder State Championship.

BS

3 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

There is a State Championship and a separate State Blackpowder Championship.  Black powder categories are shot in each.  So, you could have two different state champions for the same category. One from the State Championship and the other from the Black Powder State Championship.

BS

Not true, you might want to check with SASS.  You can't have two State champions in a single category.

You can have a State champion from the "State Championship" and another State champion from the "Black Powder State Championship".  These are both State Championship matches, but one is BP only.  BP categories are offered at both matches. The categories are extended (age based) in the BP match.

I have competed in both matches. 

BS

12 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Is that how it works? I didn’t know that. I was going by this. I gotta get my eyes checked or learn to read. 

7D6A1BE3-B942-4A14-93CB-EF362BE59485.jpeg

So therein lies the question, Why are they issuing a Championship buckle at a Black Powder Match if there is already a State Champion in the category?

Then, the black powder matches are awarding championship status in unrecognized categories even at other BP matches.  An example would be Frontiersman Gunfighter. 

I have a State champion buckle for Plainsman I won at the Robber's Roost yet most matches, national and BP, run the class as a side match.  Why did SASS issue the buckle to me yet not call BP matches State championships?  

Spring will be here soon folks :D

1 minute ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

So therein lies the question, Why are they issuing a Championship buckle at a Black Powder Match if there is already a State Champion in the category?

Then, the black powder matches are awarding championship status in unrecognized categories even at other BP matches.  An example would be Frontiersman Gunfighter. 

I have a State champion buckle for Plainsman I won at the Robber's Roost yet most matches, national and BP, run the class as a side match.  Why did SASS issue the buckle to me yet not call BP matches State championships?  

Spring will be here soon folks :D

SASS is the ones that sent me the buckle. For a fee of course. I guess we'd have to ask them.

11 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

SASS is the ones that sent me the buckle. For a fee of course. I guess we'd have to ask them.

My buckle came from SASS too, with the proper fee :), yet now with this thread, was it proper?

The powers to be told Bobcat he could not advertise Smokin' Irons as a State Championship but that there was a lot of latitude given to SASS sanctioned State black powder matches as they are typically small affairs to attract participants.  I didn't make it this year and haven't heard numbers but Bobcat's matches were holding pretty steady at 70.  The Robber's Roost match was 13 and I want to say the match when held at the Cowboy's in Norco was in the 20's.

Should National champions be from the host Nation? I believe yes.  Should the category champions be recognized as such?  Yes!  

The bottom line is, this is a game where folks can come together in a positive environment and have fun, whether it's the shooting or the social aspects of our sport.  

The United States Open Tennis Championships.

Who has win in 2017? An American?

I think:

If SASS make the Registation open for all, than it is a "Open Championship."

In a open Match is the Winner the Champion. 

Its hard to belive, if European Shooters make a 5000$/ 10.000 Miles Trip, than winning and SASS say: Title? No!! You are starting here for "Freedom, Friendship and Eggcake."

STATE CHAMPION

from the state championship contract on the sass website

Determining the SASS State Action Shooting Champions: The highest overall ranking resident male and female from the state where the match is held, regardless of shooting category, will be recognized as the SASS State Champions for that state. They will receive a trophy buckle from SASS and a free entry to their Regional Event. Although shooters from outside the state are welcome to compete and can win their shooting categories and the match overall, SASS only recognizes the State Championship winners as the highest male and female overall finishers who live in the state. “Residence,” if in doubt, will be determined by a current valid driver’s license. Active Military “residence” will be determined by where they are currently stationed.

I've won overall in other states than mine (Florida) yet I was not named the XXXXXX State Champion.....that was reserved for someone that actually resided in the state.

REGIONAL CHAMPION

The last regional contract I read was like that as well......A SASS Regional Champion is the highest placing resident of that Region

in 2007 Shalako Joe (Texas resident I believe) won the SE Regional (Mule Camp) and Holy Terror (Colorado resident I believe) was 2nd Overall.....the 2007 SE Regional Champion, a friend of mine, Sidekick was 3rd Overall. Sidekick is from Alabama.

NATIONAL CHAMPION

A SASS National Champion is...........?

Why would it not follow suite with the state and regional definitions?

Why call it the SASS "National" Championship if we're not going to recognize the highest placing resident of the nation?

Stan

Interesting post Stan.  The way I read that SASS only makes the distinction for the overall match winner, not the category winners.  So somebody from Arizona or California could be the Nevada State Duelist champion.  (Kind of makes me want to vomit just thinking about Gawd Awful or Smokestack winning my category. :wacko: )

I have been either on the committee or the match director of the PA state championship match for as long as we have hosted it - which is more than 15 years.  Our match, as with all state level matches, must adhere to the requirements as set forth in our contract with SASS.  Registration to the event is open to all SASS members.  (Membership is confirmed by HQ and shooters that are delinquent in their membership dues must pay up before competing.)  Category winners can be any registered shooter.  If the top shooter in a category is not a state resident, he/she is still the winner of that category.  If the host club chooses to recognize the "state champion in category" it is their choice.  The match top gun is honored as such regardless of residency.  Top gun is top gun.  The top male and female shooter from the state are honored as the state champions.  They receive awards from the club just as all winners do.  Additionally, the receive a beautiful buckle from SASS and a certificate for registration to their regional.  To make it allowable for shooters to attend and win either of these top awards regardless of residency, and/or in more than one state is, in my estimation, dead wrong and ludicrous.  To change match protocol and only award or accept registrations from state residents is the beginning of the end for many matches.  We have many shooters from at least 6 other states as well as a very faithful following from Canada.  I feel that the criteria as written in fine just the way it is.  Additionally, no one that has attended the match has indicated anything to the contrary.

In case there is any misunderstanding, the host club is responsible for all awards except for the buckles and regional match certificates.  To do anything that could significantly lower match attendance would only hurt the club.  To do anything to increase the number of awards would also hurt the club.  Awards are already one of the highest expenses for these matches.  Many suggestions on this thread will only raise costs and cut attendance.  

20 minutes ago, Black Hills Barb said:

I have been either on the committee or the match director of the PA state championship match for as long as we have hosted it - which is more than 15 years.  Our match, as with all state level matches, must adhere to the requirements as set forth in our contract with SASS.  Registration to the event is open to all SASS members.  (Membership is confirmed by HQ and shooters that are delinquent in their membership dues must pay up before competing.)  Category winners can be any registered shooter.  If the top shooter in a category is not a state resident, he/she is still the winner of that category.  If the host club chooses to recognize the "state champion in category" it is their choice.  The match top gun is honored as such regardless of residency.  Top gun is top gun.  The top male and female shooter from the state are honored as the state champions.  They receive awards from the club just as all winners do.  Additionally, the receive a beautiful buckle from SASS and a certificate for registration to their regional.  To make it allowable for shooters to attend and win either of these top awards regardless of residency, and/or in more than one state is, in my estimation, dead wrong and ludicrous.  To change match protocol and only award or accept registrations from state residents is the beginning of the end for many matches.  We have many shooters from at least 6 other states as well as a very faithful following from Canada.  I feel that the criteria as written in fine just the way it is.  Additionally, no one that has attended the match has indicated anything to the contrary.

In case there is any misunderstanding, the host club is responsible for all awards except for the buckles and regional match certificates.  To do anything that could significantly lower match attendance would only hurt the club.  To do anything to increase the number of awards would also hurt the club.  Awards are already one of the highest expenses for these matches.  Many suggestions on this thread will only raise costs and cut attendance.  

Ah ha!  The plot thickens.

(I'm originally from West Chester.  Could I win your overall title?  Rhetorical question, I'd never be good enough to win. ;) )

Shooting Bull....you could win just about anything, but unless you still use a PA driver's license you cannot be PA state championship.  :P

52 minutes ago, Black Hills Barb said:

Shooting Bull....you could win just about anything, but unless you still use a PA driver's license you cannot be PA state championship.  :P

I still have my Learner's Permit from 1980 :lol:

Seems like we've done a 360. The top competitor in their category is the category winner (1st place trophy).  But the top resident in that category will be the state champion.

BS

Black Hills Barb: Great meeting you and being from near by my Town Rochester, Pa in the Beaver Valley Area. New gun club there now in Beaver Falls..

It's called the Beaver Valley Bushwhackers. Sounds like nice folks there.

Jackrabbit Joe

2 buddies from adjoining states compete in the same category. One state recognizes anyone from anywhere who finishes first as state champ. The other state requires the state champ to be from that state. Both shooters place second at their home match but finish first in their buddies state. 2 matches with both shooters having a first place finish and a second place.. One shooter is the state champion in both states. 

15 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Interesting post Stan.  The way I read that SASS only makes the distinction for the overall match winner, not the category winners.  So somebody from Arizona or California could be the Nevada State Duelist champion.  (Kind of makes me want to vomit just thinking about Gawd Awful or Smokestack winning my category. :wacko: )

I agree that SASS is making the distinction about overall......All the state matches I've attended recognize the "State" Champion in each category following the same guidelines and I know the SE Regional did as well when it was in Givhans Ferry.....It only makes sense to recognize the proper resident champion for whatever level match.

Not recognizing the highest placing resident competitor based is not living up to the title of the match.....State, Regional, Divisional, National.......should all recognize the category winners just the same as overall.

Why would anyone not want to give a Cowboy/Cowgirl their 15 seconds of hard earned glory for being the "Top Shooter" for that geographical region in a particular category?

Who was the fastest US Citizen in the 49r Category at the SASS National Match held in the United States of America? Lead Finger

I don't know Lead Finger from Adams House Cat but I congratulate him on being the National Champion 49r (in my book).  Good Shooting Pard!

Let's hope he gets his just reward.

Stan

1 hour ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

I agree that SASS is making the distinction about overall......All the state matches I've attended recognize the "State" Champion in each category following the same guidelines and I know the SE Regional did as well when it was in Givhans Ferry.....It only makes sense to recognize the proper resident champion for whatever level match.

Not recognizing the highest placing resident competitor based is not living up to the title of the match.....State, Regional, Divisional, National.......should all recognize the category winners just the same as overall.

Why would anyone not want to give a Cowboy/Cowgirl their 15 seconds of hard earned glory for being the "Top Shooter" for that geographical region in a particular category?

Who was the fastest US Citizen in the 49r Category at the SASS National Match held in the United States of America? Lead Finger

I don't know Lead Finger from Adams House Cat but I congratulate him on being the National Champion 49r (in my book).  Good Shooting Pard!

Let's hope he gets his just reward.

Stan

Stan, the SE Regional was done the same way in Memphis last year and that is the way we do the Tennessee State. I feel like you should recognize the Category State/ Regional Champion no matter where they finish in the category.  At that given match they were the best registered competitor  in that category in their state/ region.

Randy

15 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

2 buddies from adjoining states compete in the same category. One state recognizes anyone from anywhere who finishes first as state champ. The other state requires the state champ to be from that state. Both shooters place second at their home match but finish first in their buddies state. 2 matches with both shooters having a first place finish and a second place.. One shooter is the state champion in both states. 

Ouch!

21 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Even if you get the “state title” we would still “win” the category:P 

Archived