SASS Wire Forum

National champion ?

Hells Comin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the National Champion should most definitely be from the US. EOT should be up for grabs for anyone from any country though. All state and regional matches recognize and award the respective title to those in that state or region. If you are from elsewhere then you are just shooting for fun and not the title. 

My initial reaction is to completely agree with Colt.  I'm curious though, has a precedent already been set?  Has someone from another country won Winter Range in the past and been given the award of U.S. National Champion?  Or, has any other country awarded their national championship to someone not of their country? 

There should be a consistent set of guidelines issued by SASS for this so there is no confusion of how it should be awarded. I am speaking of both category wins as well as Overall win. 

Definitely agree to all of the above and yes it should be National Champion U.S.A.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

31 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Yes at WinterRange this year 1 of the categories was won by a non US resident ! So how can that shooter be Our National champion?

He isn’t in my opinion our National Champion. Our Champion is from the US and should be awarded as such. I’m not saying the one who came in first should not be recognized as well because he or she should. In the case of our Nationals they give a buckle as well as a big nice Remington bronze sculpture. I say give the sculpture/trophy to the US Champion and the buckle to person from another country. I think they both should receive a free entry to EOT. Just an idea is all 

I don't know about other matches but Michigan State shoot I do

I won my catagory but because I am not a resident of Michigan I can not be the Michigan State champ which is how I think it should be.

Overall winners should be recognized but only residents of that state ,regional ,or national area should be the winners.

SASS has EOT World Championship shoot for everyone .

just my thoughts 

thanks  CATLOW 

Actually, there were 3 Categories won by non-US residents. 2 Men's & 1 Women's.

I've been in the same boat at Eldorado, I won my category but I was not Nevada State Champion.

I agree with Colt on how this situation could best be handled.

57 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

The one in question that I'm aware of is the mens 49ers category. Sooo the United States of America doesn't have a representative at the World championships in 49er.

Leadfinger should be recognized and awarded men’s 49’er National Champion. Ray should be recognized as the category winner. Both of these gentlemen are fine shooters and friends of mine and I think they would agree. 

I guess my question is if someone from the U.S. travels to the European championship and wins his/her category are they the European champion?

21 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I guess my question is if someone from the U.S. travels to the European championship and wins his/her category are they the European champion?

They should not be in my opinion. They are there for the fun and experience is the way I see it. 

34 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

They would be the category champion, but not the European champion.

That is the way it works at the Arizona and Iowa State championships.

BS

I remember at Bordertown 2012 that Joe Dakota won Duelist,  Joe is from Germany so the second place (Wiley Yankee) was State Champion.  HE GAVE HIS AWARD TO Joe Dakota because he felt he had not EARNED it.    That's the Cowboy way,  not whining about second place folks not getting what they should.

4 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

I don't know about other matches but Michigan State shoot I do

I won my catagory but because I am not a resident of Michigan I can not be the Michigan State champ which is how I think it should be.

Overall winners should be recognized but only residents of that state ,regional ,or national area should be the winners.

SASS has EOT World Championship shoot for everyone .

just my thoughts 

thanks  CATLOW 

At Tennessee State we have awards for State Champion in each Category and they are the first awards we give because this is a State Championship. Then we give out the Category awards through 5th place in each category.  Sometimes the Category State Champion may not be in the top 5 in their category but they are recognized with all State Champions with no mention of where anyone finished in their category until the category awards.

Randy

Winter Range has for many years been a match of International stature and the first prize award has always been awarded to the winner no matter where they are from.  If this practice is an issue make sure to mention this when the shooter comment forms come out.  We read ALL of the comments and discuss every suggestion made in the comments.  2018 is in the books.  2019 is coming up so get in your comments.

41 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

At Tennessee State we have awards for State Champion in each Category and they are the first awards we give because this is a State Championship. Then we give out the Category awards through 5th place in each category.  Sometimes the Category State Champion may not be in the top 5 in their category but they are recognized with all State Champions with no mention of where anyone finished in their category until the category awards.

Randy

At Eldorado they're a hybrid.  The top 5 in the category are recognized and whichever happens to be the NV state champion in that category is recognized at that time.  For instance, "Your 5th place Duelist (out of four shooters) annnnnnnnnd your Nevada State Champion is Shooting Bull."  (Creeker already talks enough.  Don't need to give him another chance to hog the oxygen. :P )

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

At Eldorado they're a hybrid.  The top 5 in the category are recognized and whichever happens to be the NV state champion in that category is recognized at that time.  For instance, "Your 5th place Duelist (out of four shooters) annnnnnnnnd your Nevada State Champion is Shooting Bull."  (Creeker already talks enough.  Don't need to give him another chance to hog the oxygen. :P )

We do it the way we do so Category State Champions get their 5 seconds of fame even if they finish out of the top 5 in Category.

Randy

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

T-Bone always did the same for the regional ......... seemed the correct way to me.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Winter Range has for many years been a match of International stature ....

Maybe that's part of the problem!  You and the other principals and or board members of Winter Range may see your match as a bigger than life International venue but to my way of thinking it is clearly being promoted and advertised as the SASS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP match.  The image below is taken from the Winter Range website where it clearly spells out the match description.  To the right side of the banner is the SASS sanctioned match seal so perhaps it is up to SASS to make a call here and make whatever changes necessary to avoid any further misunderstandings.

Does it really make any sense to go from local matches to state then to regional, skipping national then on to an INTERNATIONAL title followed by the World title which is basically the same as the international match just spelled differently?  Should the National and World titles overlap in such a way?

And since it was mentioned above, I do not see discussing this as WHINING, simply seeking something that make sense!

5a94b3c49558a_winterrangeimage.thumb.jpg.245ff3c5a5624218e3fba5027375eaff.jpg

I have a question 

What about Overall? What if a person from another country wins the match Overall is he or she the US Overall National Champion? 

Just trying to understand it is all. 

At the state level and higher, the overall top male and female competitor must be from that state, region, etc.  Those winners receive the buckle and free registration to the next higher level (again in their area).  At our state match we recognize the placement of the shooters in their category but also give out small "gun cart plaques" recognizing the PA champ in that category.  Above that we award the state champion male and female competitor (must be from the state) as well as the overall match champion (the one and only top gun).  Below is the excerpt from the state match contract.  I am sure some agree while others do not, but anything above what is required by the contract is up to the match officials.
Determining the SASS State Action Shooting Champions: The highest overall ranking resident male and female from the state where the match is held, regardless of shooting category, will be recognized as the SASS State Champions for that state. They will receive a trophy buckle from SASS and a free entry to their Regional Event. Although shooters from outside the state are welcome to compete and can win their shooting categories and the match overall, SASS only recognizes the State Championship winners as the highest male and female overall finishers who live in the state. “Residence,” if in doubt, will be determined by a current valid driver’s license. Active Military “residence” will be determined by where they are currently stationed.

14 hours ago, Rowdy Lane said:

I agree with Colt and Hells Comin. The U S Nationals "Winter Range" is a national event , EOT is a world event.

the second place winner has not whined, not even once, to anyone. 

Didn't say THEY did.  Said folks were whining about second place persons.

I can understand states naming a resident as "state champion" . 

But for Winter Range, the guys/gals put in the work, travel from Australia, Poland, Germany, Timbuktu or wherever, if they win, give them the trophy. The guy lucky enough to be born and live in USA just needs to congratulate the winner and practice more. 

After reading all the posts to this point, either way it's ultimately decided, IMHO, it should be clearly stated 5a958d90243f5_ReadingtheRuleBook.JPG.a48156baed5c1d6cd6a68de5e1e9f055.JPG whether the overall winner must reside in that State for a State Match, or in the U.S.A. for a National Match, etc.. Anyone applying to shoot in these will be fully aware of the anticipated outcome.

I agree that shooting in these events is purely for fun, the increased level of competition, and the ability to shoot with others outside your local area along with the ability to create new friendships and enjoy the comradery that Cowboy Action Shooting provides.

42 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I can understand states naming a resident as "state champion" . 

But for Winter Range, the guys/gals put in the work, travel from Australia, Poland, Germany, Timbuktu or wherever, if they win, give them the trophy. The guy lucky enough to be born and live in USA just needs to congratulate the winner and practice more. 

I respectfully do not agree.  If Winter Range is supposed to be the "U.S." National Championship, then the champions should be residents. (I understand that I put in the U.S.)  Bordertown is a state championship that annually draws competitors from around the globe. It doesn't matter who is in first place, the champion is from Arizona.

As others have said - let's hear from SASS. What is their verdict.

BS

Sounds like we have two World Championships to me. Consistency would be nice in this case. That’s cool I just wanted some clarity is all. The confusion comes from how State, Regional and Divisional matches are awarded. As long as everyone knows how it works then it’s all good. Let’s shoot!!! In the words of Ricky Bobby,

if you ain’t first you’re last”  lol 

Archived