SASS Wire Forum

What happened to “ACC” position?

My last 3 cars (2 US, 1 German) lack an accessory position on the ignition switch.

To listen to the radio when the car is not running, you need to turn the switch fully on, but just short of engaging the starter.  This means that heater fan, idiot lights and all other circuits are energized.

Why did they do that?

LL

And you wife’s battery will die while she’s in the store and you’re listening to the radio. I found that out the other day.

My father-in-law (professional mechanic) told me, many years ago, that if you had it in the RUN postion, but did not actually have it running, electricity was arcing the points, and burning them up. This would cause you to need a tuneup sooner. So if you wanted to listen to the radio, use ACC.

If this is true (and I really have no idea if it is or not), since electronic ignitions don't use points, maybe there's no need for ACC?

Our last couple or three cars and my pickup will still play radio for ten minutes after key is turned off. Shuts off if you pull the key out or open a door.

After the ten minutes it shuts off , and you can just turn it on and back off again for another ten. I have done that several times wait on wifey.

Rex :D

Our 2 Chevy's, 2002 S10 ZR2 and a 2007 Suburban, have ACC key positions. But the ACC doesn't work on my S10. I can switch the key to "On", turn the radio on and then back off and the radio will play for a few minutes. 

Because of this thread, Loophole, I did some checking and here all this time I just figured there was no true ACC position and that the key would move into that position but it didn't activate anything. It turns out that had I mentioned this under Warranty they would have had to swap my ignition switch out to the correct one. One that works as it is supposed to with ACC. Weird. I guess after 16 years I could buy another ignition switch, but it isn't that big of a deal to me. I never sit in my truck and listen to the radio. :)

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

My father-in-law (professional mechanic) told me, many years ago, that if you had it in the RUN postion, but did not actually have it running, electricity was arcing the points, and burning them up. This would cause you to need a tuneup sooner. So if you wanted to listen to the radio, use ACC.

If this is true (and I really have no idea if it is or not), since electronic ignitions don't use points, maybe there's no need for ACC?

What it really did was energize the coil, and drain the battery PDQ. Could easily burn up the coil also.

OLG

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What it really did was energize the coil, and drain the battery PDQ. Could easily burn up the coil also.

OLG

While it will drain the battery it won't fry the ignition coil; because, there is a power resistor in the circuit that limits the current to the coil's continuous current rating.  Otherwise it would fail when the engine is running.  When the starter is engaged the resistor is bypassed to insure the coil current is high enough to produce a strong spark even when the battery voltage drops.

P.S. it is highly unlikely that the points would arc with the ignition on & engine not running because there is only 2, 3 or 4 degrees of the 360 degrees of distributor rotation that the contact is open & close enough for 12.8 volts to arc across. 

12 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

While it will drain the battery it won't fry the ignition coil; because, there is a power resistor in the circuit that limits the current to the coil's continuous current rating.  Otherwise it would fail when the engine is running.  When the starter is engaged the resistor is bypassed to insure the coil current is high enough to produce a strong spark even when the battery voltage drops.

P.S. it is highly unlikely that the points would arc with the ignition on & engine not running because there is only 2, 3 or 4 degrees of the 360 degrees of distributor rotation that the contact is open & close enough for 12.8 volts to arc across. 

The resistor drops the voltage to the coil to 6-9 volts. If the coil can't 'dump' it's 'charge, it overheats. That also comes from lack of air flow from the engine not running.

Agree 110% about the ign points.

OLG

7 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

because of this thread I went out and checked my truck . . . 

after looking carefully I realized I can't find the choke, nor the spark advance

You probably can't find the bright/dim switch on the floor either!

On 2/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

On my 2016 GMC and the Wife's SIenna turn the key to on, then to off. The power windows will work for 5 to 10 min. However the radio will play for as long as I don't open the doors or remove the key.

Same on my 2003 GMC truck.

Archived