SASS Wire Forum

lets register "Bump" stocks

Irish Pat

Instead of trying to get them banned why we don't just ask our congressmen to consider registering like the stocks like silencers, short barreled rifles, sawed off shotguns and pre-1968 registered machine guns.  I have never heard of a WWII collectible Thompson being used in a crime  and I know if you would like to purchase a silencer or short barrel to go on a new Thompson replica making it into short barreled rifle then you register the barrel.  I think that could please the NRA and get done rather fast.  Irish Pat,  NRA Life member      

Let's not and don't even say we did!!

Let's remove further restrictions!!  Sound reduction devices should be readily available to any eligible gun owner!!  We have pistols with short barrels.  That's normal!!  Why should the barrel of a rifle be any more restricted than that of a pistol??  If it is legal for me as a citizen to possess a pistol, why should the barrel of my rifle be ANYBODY'S business??  Same with a shotgun!!

As far as automatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns go, If I am able to pass the background investigation required to own one, (and I'm not convinced that even this should be required of a legal, qualified citizen) then I should be able to purchase and possess any and all of these I wish to own!!

So, pay $200 for a stamp on a $99 part? No thanks.

Why do anything with the bump stocks.  They were already ruled legal by the ATF.  Seems they are just considering banning them to say they did something.    

If it snows in Key West once, does the City Council buy snow plows?

Totes, NRA Life Member

45 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Instead of trying to get them banned why we don't just ask our congressmen to consider registering like the stocks like silencers, short barreled rifles, sawed off shotguns and pre-1968 registered machine guns.  I have never heard of a WWII collectible Thompson being used in a crime  and I know if you would like to purchase a silencer or short barrel to go on a new Thompson replica making it into short barreled rifle then you register the barrel.  I think that could please the NRA and get done rather fast.  Irish Pat,  NRA Life member      

Seem pointless to me. You would also need to ban/register belt loops and thumbs too. :wacko:

It's not the barrel you register.  When you install the shorter than 16" barrel on a long gun you are creating a whole new gun that is regulated under NFA Form 1 rules. Same applies if you install a shoulder stock to a handgun. 

This was a Rossi Ranch Hand sold as a hand gun. Absolutely useless in my view. That's why it got SBR-ed

IMG_0731.JPG

My thought was that we could register them and keep them around for the people that wanted them.  I have no desire for one.  I had an old Kahr Arms-Auto Ordnance catalog that had the 1927 Thompson semi-auto for sale with 16 inch barrels. You could order a ten inch barrel but it had to be registered as a SBR.  You could purchase the pistol version but you could not have the butt stock attached.   I though that maybe we might could compromise and keep the Bump stocks otherwise they are going to be a goner.  I can see the handwriting on the wall.  I thought it was a possible idea but never mind I am sticking to my old M-1 paratrooper carbine and my SASS carbines.  Irish Pat , SASS 19486, Life member NRA 

For these laws to be effective they can't just ban firearms or parts by name; because, the mfg's will just rename them. Besides you don't need an accessory to bump fire a semi-auto rifle & AR or AK pistol.  Look for YouTube videos for bump fire.  Also, if law bans parts that increase the rate of fire it allows prosecutors to harass gun owners and retailers with titanium bolt carriers & firing pins, adjustable gas blocks, etc.

Besides what are they worried about, copycat Las Vegas shooter?  The shooter used an AR with bump fire stock when he could have purchased a couple of legal machine guns.  He certainly had the financial means to buy them.

4 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I believe that's what the NRA is proposing!!

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement

I have a better idea!  Let's register all the bullies, the kids who ridicule, tease, abuse and persecute the other kids to the point they feel their lives is worthless and they should go out in a blaze of bullets taking all of their antagonists with them!  

Not a single "articulate" student has once mentioned the dazebo where the Loners go in the middle of that school!  By the way I live 5 minutes from there. God bless the teacher of the year who said it isn't the gun, it's the school, teachers and parents of the other children who drive these shooters to act!

We need to be careful what we are willing to accept. Those on the other side will never be satisfied until there is total elimination and confiscation. While bump stocks are a gimmick and not very effective from an efficiency standpoint, I will NEVER be in favor of any new restrictions. Once they get this, what is next? Trigger jobs? Short strokes? Anything that modifies a gun away from factory? Be careful when accepting new restrictions simply because they don't affect you...because the next one very well could. We currently have over 20,000 gun laws on the books. Why more? And for those on the other side that hate AR's, Columbine happened during the last Assault Weapons Ban. The problem is society, not the tools, and any restrictions we accept only serve to make us less safe

Howdy,

Assualt rifles are illegal and have been for years.

TV just drips half truths and outright bad information.

And who can watch so called comedy shows at night?

I came across a recorded old Dave Letterman show.

No mention of any president, no mention of Trump. just funny stuff.

Does any one remember entertainment?

Will we ban black assault trucks next?

Best

CR

Johnny Carson. None better. Never will be either.

Although Jack Benny was freaking awesome!

:D

Unfortunately most of these lawmakers in our country are ignorant to the fact of what Firearms are,  and  what makes and models they are.

They get their information from TV.

And we all know how unbiased the news media is. Bump fire stocks are a useless tool unnecessary to bump fire anyting.

Our forefathers wrote in the Constitution our 2nd Amendment rights shall not be infringed, 

what part of that does not Society understand.

3 hours ago, Brett Black said:

Unfortunately most of these lawmakers in our country are ignorant to the fact of what Firearms are,  and  what makes and models they are.

They get their information from TV.

And we all know how unbiased the news media is. Bump fire stocks are a useless tool unnecessary to bump fire anyting.

Our forefathers wrote in the Constitution our 2nd Amendment rights shall not be infringed, 

what part of that does not Society understand.

X1000.....handguns are only good for killing. Or, you don't need an automatic AR-15 to hunt deer with. Or, 100 different other things uneducated people throw around about guns. The facts are most people barking the loudest simply want to repeal the 2nd Amendment and use these "uneducated" people as tools. 

Speaking from experience....

When I lived in the PRoNY, whenever the so-called ‘lawmakers’ would come up with another scheme to harass and make we gun owners jump through more hoops, there were those of us who would call these lawmakers and try to point out the technical aspects of why their hand crafted legislation would do nothing to slow down crime and only eliminate guns/ammo/accessories that caused none of the issued that they were trying to ‘fix’. After banging our collective heads against the brick wall, I determined that the attitude of these lawmakers could be summed up in three words:

THEY DON’T CARE

All one has to do is look at one of their latest proposals that would limit the amount of ammunition one could purchase to twice the amount that their gun could hold, I believe every 60 days. This is the attitude and agenda of the gun banning left, and if we start to placate them by giving concessions or compromising, just refer to my previous post.

Sorry Allie, but JMHO.

Nope.  Not One Step Back!  Every time we have given even a micron the anti-civil rights totalitarians have been emboldened and grabbed a yard.  

SCOTUS has ruled that the the Bill of Rights is off the political bargaining table.   

We need to make sure that it gets taken off.

ADDED:

OK, back at my desktop and not on my phone.
This is pretty clear:

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

: Robert H. Jackson, US Supreme Court Justice West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

The entire Bill of Rights should be off the political table.  We have to play by the rules, the government should have to play by the same rules.

To borrow from Order No. 227 issued by Uncle Joe, "Ни шагу назад! "

It might be worth considering IF, and only IF it means reopening the NFA Registry to new machine guns and repealing the Hughes Amendment to FOPA 86.

As it stands, the Hughes Amendment was illegally gavelled into the bill despite a lopsided verbal vote against it.

I kind of doubt that bumpstocks are serialized....there will be much difficulty in tracking them down.

This is all another super dumb warm fuzzy that encroaches upon our civil rights.

5 hours ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Why ban or register bump stocks? Just enhance penalties if they are used in the commission of a crime. Same thing with suppressors. As long as they are used legally no problem.

THIS!!  AND ENFORCE IT!!!

6 hours ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Why ban or register bump stocks? Just enhance penalties if they are used in the commission of a crime. Same thing with suppressors. As long as they are used legally no problem.

Sounds excellent on the surface but if the tens of thousands of laws already on the books were enforced we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

90% of those laws were likely thought up and passed because people said

"We have to do something! We can't let this happen again"

6 hours ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Stop making sense...

Archived